Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: BerthaSkz
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 139498

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 4
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - FCR and FLR
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FCR and FLR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: FCR and FLR Reply with quote

First Call resolution ( FCR) appeared a task too daunting so we have proposed a "First Line resolution" where in the opening and the resolving group is the same. Only the Service Desk can open the tickets, the SD and the support teams can resolve them and only the SD can close them after users' confirmation. What we proposed is to measure the first line's performance against the 2nd and the 3rd line of support. The First Line Resolution (FLR) should go up as a continual Service improvement Plan.

having said that, I feel like proposing something out of the world. Do we know something like the first line Resolution? Can anyone please help me with the most accepted definitions of the FCR for the IT Service desk?
not an ITIL question again, but is there any ?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viv,

I don't see how there can be definitions.

The advantage of first call fix is the perceived speed of resolution for the user (and the subsequent trimness in the bureaucracy because there is less transitioning).

The cost of first call fix is the level of expertise tied up at the phones, sometimes performing tasks way below their skill level. The higher the first fix target the greater the cost to achieve it.

What are your customers paying for? What is acceptable to them?

If you set high targets do your customers/users sometimes worry that the front line staff are trying to do things at the very edge of their capability rather than pass it back to second line?

The answer has to lie in a- the requirements (e.g. urgency and impact for the business); b- the skill level in the front line; c- the staffing level in the front line; d- the profile of calls you receive (in terms of technical complexity etc.); e- costs.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
rzesie
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know sth like first line resolution.
We use it besides FCR in order to show that besides FCR you do some work as well.
We sometimes close tickets after some time just because the user does not have time to implement the solutions on the phone, etc.

Still I completely agree with Diarmid - it depends on what the business requires.

Greetings,
Jacek
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just don't get it. Why do you want to measure performance by FCR?
Wouldn't it be more useful if it's used to measure the effectiveness of related processes?
What if the number of FCR drops in one period because most calls were have to be resolved at 2nd level? Does that mean that the SD didn't perform?

Asril
rzesie
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asrilrm,

Are there any other measures than FCR or FLR that can measure if the service desk is solving enough tickets?

I agree that low FCR does not mean that SD did not perform but my customer demands FCR rate of 50%...

Thanks!

Regards,
Jacek
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

rzesie wrote:
Are there any other measures than FCR or FLR that can measure if the service desk is solving enough tickets?

All you need is another set of classifications for calls. One that identifies whether the call is of a type that can and should be resolved at the service desk. Then target, say, 95% of those.

Of course you need the definitions and the training requirements to match the classifications and you need the staffing resource to match the call volumes. The service desk can only resolve calls within its capability!

Is your customer paying for 50% first fix? Do you have clear definitions on the nature and volume of calls that this applies to? Is your customer involved in call analysis and review?

When you offer a first fix percentage then you have to bound it with the assumptions about the calls so that you can change it if the nature of the calls changes. This can happen because the business has changed or because the users have become more sophisticated and no longer make simple calls or for lots of other reasons.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
rzesie
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid,

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree with you. Measuring first line fix rate only on the categories that are "solvable" is the best way to check service desk performance.
Unfortunately I'm in a position where my SD is presented with a contract which we must fullfil and the 50% of first contact is required.

You are also completely right about the changing nature of calls but the only thing I can do is propose reviews.

Thanks and regards,
Jacek
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacek,

I think you need some risk analysis on that contract. If it might be leading to problems then you will be into difficult negotiations with your customer. Developing a good relationship which emphasizes that you have a common interest in the quality of the service will be key.

I think that some of the other regular posters will have a better practical understanding in this area than I do.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: