Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Zain
New Today: 22
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 148047

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 1
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem versus project requirements
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem versus project requirements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave_go

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Problem versus project requirements Reply with quote

Hi everyone ! I work for an IT organization and I'm a PM Process Analyst.

Let imagine a following situation with IT problem
during investigation phase we have a conclusion that this is not really a problem because requirements were not preciselly defined by Business side or there where no requirements regarding IT system behaviour in a very specific situation.

And of course end users call the ServiceDesk and say 'this should work in a different way' , ' this is not working because my order has stuck in this system'.
ServiceDesk of course raise a problem ticket and after that we have a conclusion that someone didn't predict this particular situation in IT system and there were no requirements for IT project regarding that.

What to do with this problem?

You know, cancelling maybe is not a best solution because end users satissfaction may fall and this is constantly monitored and my bonus is dependent on that factor.

Please let me know how do you solve that kind of situation, what kind of attempt you choose:
- cancelling and info to end users to raise a new requirement to the next project
- inform client (not user) and wait for his decision (is he willing to pay or not) - what with problem ticket then?
- direct contact to projects without business contribution
- cancell and forget method Wink

Best regards,
dave
bennyboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my humble view, the worst thing you can do is cancel the ticket and forget about it.

My approach would be to talk to the project team and:
1. let them know there is an issue and that users perception is negative
2. Find out from them what the original requirements were and if this issue has already been discussed with the client
3. Someone (Either you or projects) should inform the client, give them all the info they need to make an informed decision and your ticket will get it's conclusion one way or the other
4. Let the end user know that you're aware of the issue, it's being tackled and the decision will be the clients and not yours.

My 2p worth Smile

good luck.
Ting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Benny said, it would also be of some value, if you can, to identify or present a workaround for the user's issue - it may mean doing things manually but this will definitely leave a good impression on the quality of service being provided.

That's just me though....
Marcel
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the application code does what it was designed to do does not mean that there is no problem. There is a problem, however the root cause (then tracked as a known error) lies in the requirements or in the design. As a result of this, there is a mismatch between system functionality and business process. Make sure you can categorize your known errors by the nature of the root cause (e.g. code bug, design flaw, missed requirement). If you find that you have a lot of problems relating to design flaws or missed requirements then there may be a reason to evaluate your system development approach to ensure better quality of deliverables.

We certainly have experience with such situations in our organization. Traditionally, developers are eager to classify such situations as 'enhancement requests' instead of 'problems'. Several examples that we had have helped convince people that that is not the right thing to do. If the omission of a certain function in the application drives dozens or even hundreds of calls per week to the service desk, then there is little question that these things need to be fixed.

Be cautious though. As much as I advocate the above approach, you need to be careful that Problem Mgmt does not become the process to track new business requirements. For example, the business may be changing their process and as a result they feel that an application no longer meets their needs. Or users may come up with some 'nice-to-have' requirements that did not make the cut in the original project. These things should flow through regular development/enhancement processes. Problem Mgmt should limit itself to those situations where the application does not adequately support the business process that is was built for. Obivously, the distinction between the various situations is not always cut and dry. Make sure to provide sufficient guidance on handling these situations in your organization.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: