Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CLbt
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 193
Overall: 130556

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 1
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem solving techniques
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem solving techniques

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pemo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Problem solving techniques Reply with quote

Hi all,
Im new to this fantastic and helpful forum and I need you guys to help me out here.

We are currently implementing ITIL and when it comes to problem management we would like to have an agreed and known problem solving technique like the 5 whys, six sigma or kepner tregoe etc.
Do you have any experience in using any?
If yes:
1. which technique do you use
2. Why did you choose that one?

if no:
Why not?

many thanx in advance
//pemo
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the one that works

There are many ways to diaganose and solve problems

Fault tree analysis etc

each one has its benefits each one has its limitation

I find it quite funny that you say you are implementing ITIL and then ask this question as the Blue Book )(Service Support v2) lists several methods for doing problem mgmt

There is no standard as ITIL is best practice

Use the ones that work for the areas that it works

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
pemo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx John
Yes I know that it lists some of them, but that was not my question was it Wink

It is one thing in theory and another in reality, and i kind of hoped that you could give some input from your own experience, from reality.

//pemo
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pemo,

I see a pushing question here.
Ok, I would only share this.
1. We mostly use combination of Fishbone and pareto diagram
2. We have used it in the old TQC days and it was effective
sallyreena

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Problem management Reply with quote

Problem solving has traditionally been one of the principal research areas for artificial intelligence. Yet, although artificial intelligence techniques have been employed in several product support systems, the benefit of integrating product support, artificial intelligence, and problem solving, is still unclear.
------------------------
Sally
Viral Marketing
MSP
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Prpblem Solving Techniques Reply with quote

I was just about to say...

"Guys, come on. This folk just wants some help with problem solving techniques why can't we answer her question you awkward dingbats."

However, having some thought...I concur with the comments.

There are several techniques for problem solving such as Fishbone, Ishikwa, 5 why's and more...and like Viking said, they will all have pros and cons. However, there are really two steps I can think of...

1) Research the web for different techniques and how they're theories work and then try implementing those techniques that you prefer (everyone will be inclined to use different methods according to their own understanding and confidence with them).

2) Using a number different techniques along your problem management road (so I'm talking about using them in a real-life context for the next 90 days for example), identify pros and cons that suit your team and your organisation as I'm sure they are equally effective in different situations. Then you will have found your ideal approach.

I'm not dodging the question you're almost asking the impossible!

Cheers,

MSP
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Use the ones that work for the areas that it works

I don't see how to go further than this advice.

There is a vast range of things that can become problems in the context of IT service delivery. Some will lend themselves to statistical analysis, some to logic analysis, while others will only be accessible through step by step tracing, observation and trial.

You can't say "we will do our problem resolution through this technique or that technique".

You can only say "These are the range of tools we will employ to appropriate situations, because we understand these tools well enough to be successful".

It is horses for courses.

If you have a performance problem for example, you could do some performance modelling, or you could look for correlations, or you could analyse what kind of things people are doing on the system at busy times or you could analyse why people are busy on the system at certain times or you could do all of those.

If your problem is the number of calls for help with the basics of an application, you may very quickly be looking at improved training or better designed applications. You won't normally need a sophisticated toolset to establish what type of users are having the problems.

You apply your experience at the outset to select the best formal approach and then you choose your starting point. If you get too hung up on tools and methods then you can spend days getting to what you already know. Sometimes the only block to problem resolution is resourcing the obvious solution.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pemo,

You asking us all the following questions

If sometime is happening ... how do you solve it

The short answer is It Depends

If I have a system problem.. I use the methods that best fit solving a system problem
If I have an application problem...same thing
if i have a network problem

If the problem appears to be a combination... I use best judgement to try to solve it

and of course that word

Past experience and knowledge

As despite the shill / marketing post, AI cant really do any thing to solve it as it is trying to solve .. how long is the piece of string in your pocket

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: