Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RObu
New Today: 51
New Yesterday: 84
Overall: 143627

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 3
Total: 69 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Google! What the hell has that got to do with ITIL?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google! What the hell has that got to do with ITIL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSP
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Google! What the hell has that got to do with ITIL? Reply with quote

Good Morning Fellow People,

I have been undertaking the regular Friday morning duty of swarming through the press and I must say...the birth and growth of Google has been absolutely phenomenal to say the least.

This week they have presented to the world their attack on Microsoft, including their internet browser (chrome) and no doubt their ambitions to develop an operating system.

I was just sitting here thinking about googles success. I wonder if they have adopted ITIL. Many may argue their success is due to being lucky (with their search engine), whilst being in the right place at the right time...

Imagine Google introduced "Google Business Framework". It would wipe out MOF and many of ITIL's best practice guidelines in moments although I do understand the governance aspect of ITIL. Not knocking it folks, but just wanted to say my thoughts out loud.

Before I get grilled, I know this is an ITIL forum but that doesn't mean we can't share our thoughts and opinions on current affairs that affect what is at the end of the day, Our Industry...
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No No no, this IS an interesting discussion MSP.

(By the way, are you flooding in France too? - technically England one the Hundred Years War, but I always thought you got the better end of the deal!).

Does anyone know whether Google or similar forward looking software houses use ITIL?

And as to whether they will come out with their own MOF type thing, well that is possible (albeit with huge overlap) because web based services - SAAS approaches may work outside of the traditional boundaries of hard infrastructures, local apps and licencing etc..

My brain jus switched on. Hasn't done that in ages.

UJ

(Beige badge)
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... MSP are you in France? Someone here is in France, apologies if it's not you!

(Beige badge)
MSP
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Bonjour! Reply with quote

France?

It's wet, gloomy and I'm looking forward to fish and chips tonight.

There's three crucial bits of info which tell you where I am!
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So near Paris then? I see.

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London is miserably at this moment

I am in the city

You can find me at the following drinking establishment on Maiden lane

la Perla

Drury lane

the Lowlander

not at this moment but after normal working hours

Look for the idjit drinking with one hand ... using a red palm pilot in the other

Of course .. you must use the secret code phrase

what else but the dark lord of the si(x)th or john

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know your Cov Garden haunts well John. I can't tonight, but it'd be interesting to meet for a beer some other time.

UJ

(Beige badge)
Doober
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Google would have its work cut out for it to threaten ITIL's share in the marketplace of ideas. For two reasons...

1) ITIL is a philosophy, not a specific way of doing things. ITIL has the benefit of decades of development. People have been pondering exactly what works and what doesn't for a long... long time. I think it would be like Google coming out with "a better spoon". Sure some people might switch over just for an affinity to Google. But many would also realize that the spoon is pretty much plateaued in efficiency gains, and could see through the hype.

2) Time & money. Consider JUST the time it takes a company to get serious about ITIL. You need champions. You need training. You need to garner acceptance. Then you need to design processes. You basically have to create an ITIL culture. Changing work culture (even for the better) is like herding cats - you need a lot of tallented people to direc the motion of creatures that will hiss and claw at you the whole time you drive them to a better place.

Just my $0.02 CAD.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and of course

Cat Herder need to apply

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
MSP
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: The barrier Reply with quote

I think you have made some interesting and certainly valid comments.

I have worked in an organisation which is desperately trying to teach it's people the basis of working alongside ITIL guidelines. However, there are two huge barriers in such a challenge:

a) People understanding the ITIL guidelines (to any extent) and knowing how they can be applied in the workplace. This can sometimes be difficult but nothing some training courses and consultancy can't overcome...

However, the bigger and harder hurdle is:

b) Cultural change. Implementing ITIL aligned practices is asking people to change, and change is what often upsets people. Subsequently, they may feel content seeing their organisation suffer so as long their bums remain warm in their complacent seat moulded around their buttocks.

Going back to the subject, I think the newer businesses like Google, Ebay and Amazon must be adopting these slick practices, but (I don't mean to cause offence here), with their average employee age being lower and no such "tradition" in their organisations, they're able to adopt rather have to adapt like the older players...which is a complete paradigm shift in itself.

What are your thoughts?....

MSP
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it does exist, the correlation between age and resistance to change is no where as strong as its press.

The problem is that it gets muddled with the correlation between experience and resistance to ill-considered change. I have even seen change proposals that seemed designed to reinforce the very inadequacies they claimed to be combating.

Change is inevitable, and experienced people are acutely aware of that, probably more so than young people. However, change that is not improvement is a waste of time and resources (except for politicians).

Yes I have seen people set in their ways resist all attempts at improvement, but I have also seen young "techies" do everything in their considerable power to avoid being tied to rules and procedures on the grounds that just diving in and sorting things is what they do best.

By the way, I am very young, if you are worried I might have a bias.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an oldie I have to confess to having to 'shed' a lot of misconceptions when I came up against ITIL!

No so much traditions, more a case of 'Well we've always done it this way'

People, in general, just don't like change because it takes them out of their comfort zone. The excuses are just that, excuses, rather than real justifications.

But you are right MSP that it is the hardest thing to overcome, even with solid buy-in from Senior Management

Diarmid is spot on with his thoughts that age is not the key to resistance.

Ed
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lied about my age Cool
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: