Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Charl6898
New Today: 24
New Yesterday: 51
Overall: 146490

People Online:
Visitors: 39
Members: 2
Total: 41 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Product Categorization: S/W Server
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Product Categorization: S/W Server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itshadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Product Categorization: S/W Server Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm a newbie in here... looking some help with the product categorizaion for the System/Software Server BMC Class.
The thing is that the discovery tool eventually will discover the Software server CI Type but then they need to be mapped to a product categorization following the best practice categorization.
I understand that this class, according to the definition, "store information about a server that provides a single service to client application or other systems". Examples of this asset include:
DB Servers
WEB Servers
DNS Servers
Directory Servers
Mail Servers

Is there any "best" suggestion about how to give a general category to the class? or do you reckon that it has to be tailored according to the service provided?

Any help?
Thanks.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking tool specific questions ?
If so, go to the a tool specific forum

This is an ITIL forum

ITIL is unconcerned what tools you would use to implement or assist in implementing ITIL

While some of us have had experience with specific tools, the focus in this forum is ITIL

As for classifications and sub classifications of devices - from an ITIL perspective, it is depends on your needs as whether to classify a server as merely a service or a web server or ....

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
itshadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My questions was more in a general term than pointing to a tool. I just mentioned the tool to as part of my input. But my concern is about the best practice to be used as part of the association of the items with the categorization. I do understand that this forum is not to discuss specific tool matters and that's why I came here to ask for help.

Thanks

UKVIKING wrote:
Are you asking tool specific questions ?
If so, go to the a tool specific forum

This is an ITIL forum

ITIL is unconcerned what tools you would use to implement or assist in implementing ITIL

While some of us have had experience with specific tools, the focus in this forum is ITIL

As for classifications and sub classifications of devices - from an ITIL perspective, it is depends on your needs as whether to classify a server as merely a service or a web server or ....
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itshadow

from a configuration mgmt pov, there really is no defined best practice (ITIL), standard (ISO 20k) in regards to how you classify or sub classify your IT assets.

the default answer here is

It depends

which would cover the answer to your question - in a generalist way

However, you asked a specific question - although the tool reference was not really needed.

You have an auto discovery tool - (separate thread regarding the use and usefullness of is somewhere) - that has identified some devices and the 'tool' auto classifies them {presumption - but most likely}

You query the value of Web Server, DNS Server etc over ... server....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IT department ./ organization / unit ./ company would give a clue as to how shallow or deep the classification should be.

I would classifiy the servers based on the services that are provided by that device. And if a server provided more than one service... I would take the highest valued one....

It also depends on how your CMDB is arranged

i would use the following example

The tool auto discovers 5 servers in a data center

they are

server01, server02... server05

the servers have the following data identifiers associated with them that would be unique

Hostname (machine name)
FQDN - Fully quallified domain name
IP Address(NIC card)
MAC Address (per card)
gateway Address (per NIC / IP )

Then the next set of data would be

O/S
patch / service pack

Then the services / application that would on the servers

DNS, DHCP, WINS, MS Exchange, IIS, LDAP, etc

So how would I classify the servers /

It would depend on the Service that I am providing

1 - I would classify the servers first just as servers - using the choice of laptop, desktop, server, router, switch
2- I would classify the servers based on the O/S
3 - i would classify the services usig the Services that is provided. If the server has multiple services and I could only use 1 then I would go for active services - Mail, Web, etc over the background services - WINS, DHCP, DNS, etc

but in the end... what ever I classify the servers as. I have to be able to use that information some how... If I dont use the information (and I being the team/dept/group), then why use the classification

I know this is not a concrete answer but... it depends

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
itshadow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVKING,
Thanks... Depending on the point of view of the reader the answer could be concrete! It depends...

For me it is... reading between lines I've found the help I was looking for to answer my question. Now I'm ready to discuss it with the team.

Thanks a lot.

UKVIKING wrote:
itshadow

from a configuration mgmt pov, there really is no defined best practice (ITIL), standard (ISO 20k) in regards to how you classify or sub classify your IT assets.

the default answer here is

It depends

which would cover the answer to your question - in a generalist way

However, you asked a specific question - although the tool reference was not really needed.

You have an auto discovery tool - (separate thread regarding the use and usefullness of is somewhere) - that has identified some devices and the 'tool' auto classifies them {presumption - but most likely}

You query the value of Web Server, DNS Server etc over ... server....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IT department ./ organization / unit ./ company would give a clue as to how shallow or deep the classification should be.

I would classifiy the servers based on the services that are provided by that device. And if a server provided more than one service... I would take the highest valued one....

It also depends on how your CMDB is arranged

i would use the following example

The tool auto discovers 5 servers in a data center

they are

server01, server02... server05

the servers have the following data identifiers associated with them that would be unique

Hostname (machine name)
FQDN - Fully quallified domain name
IP Address(NIC card)
MAC Address (per card)
gateway Address (per NIC / IP )

Then the next set of data would be

O/S
patch / service pack

Then the services / application that would on the servers

DNS, DHCP, WINS, MS Exchange, IIS, LDAP, etc

So how would I classify the servers /

It would depend on the Service that I am providing

1 - I would classify the servers first just as servers - using the choice of laptop, desktop, server, router, switch
2- I would classify the servers based on the O/S
3 - i would classify the services usig the Services that is provided. If the server has multiple services and I could only use 1 then I would go for active services - Mail, Web, etc over the background services - WINS, DHCP, DNS, etc

but in the end... what ever I classify the servers as. I have to be able to use that information some how... If I dont use the information (and I being the team/dept/group), then why use the classification

I know this is not a concrete answer but... it depends
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: