Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: QYCJ
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 51
Overall: 146479

People Online:
Visitors: 37
Members: 1
Total: 38 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident / Problem Mangement team - HELP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident / Problem Mangement team - HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
williham1977

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Incident / Problem Mangement team - HELP Reply with quote

I am new to this forum, so first just like to say hello.

Ok a bit of background on the arena I work in...

I work in an IT investment banking enviroment and have recently been appointed to head up a Incident team. In the past we have just had incident mangers. The only problem mangement we have was RCA or post moterms after any high/major impacting incidents. So I would like now to introduce the problem mangement process, but i need to sell it...

I am well versed in incident mangement, but not so much in problem mangement, so I would a bit advice on where to start this and how to sell it?

How do I fit the problem mangement process into the incident life cycle?

Do I need two teams? Incident and problem managers? or just one problem manager and a few incident managers?

How do I document this hard sell?

any help would be great, sorry if this has already been posted by someone else, if it has please point me to that post. Thanks
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William,

First things first:

Giving incident AND problem management to the same person creates a conflict of interests. On the one hand you want to show that you're team can cope with (or not cope with) the volume of incidents and requests you're logging, and on the other hand you want to reduce the number of incidents by eliminating them at the root cause (Problem management).

Secondly, PM is not a sub-process of the IM process. It runs along side.

To paraphrase the ITIL definition an incident is 'an interruption to normal service' so the IM process requires that an incident stays open until normal service is fixed or an acceptable work-around is put in place. This may or may not lead to a problem record being raised. Indeed a problem may run for some considerable time after an individual incident is closed as it may be track the volume/trend in relation to that 'service'.

So first of all, if you're in charge of both IM and PM you really need to decide clear and measurable objectives for both processes and make sure that everyone understands that they are linked but not necessarily welded together.

Do you need two teams? Well, as per above, ideally IM and PM are managed separately. In terms of numbers well, unfortunately we really can't tell you that here as we know nothing about your organisation. You will work that out eventually.

The hard sell?

Simple. Put together a Situation-Target-Proposal document incorporating the following:

You want to stop being reactive and show the business you can get your heads up to see what's going on around you. That you want to contribute to improving service provision to the business and show you are listening, via trends and types of incidents, to what they're telling you are the issues in you current service portfolio. If you want to talk numbers run some reports on the high volume categories of incidents and make some approximate estimates on savings if you could reduce the numbers.

And to twist their arms state that if the dproposal (subject to ammendment) is not agrees and implemented then the department is show a neglect towards it's customers in terms of service improvement. Do we want to make things better or not? Etc, Etc.

Well, there'll be a few other opinions along in a while, but having done this before, those are my opening thoughts.

Hope it helps,

UJ

(Beige badge)
MVPS
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello williham1977,

Quote:
So I would like now to introduce the problem mangement process, but i need to sell it...

OK, so you want to have a PM process. That's good. But the business must want that too, right? You said you work in a banking environment, so first thing is to convince guys with $$$ and more $$$ in their day-to-day work to invest their precious money into a process implementation project. Not an easy mission !

Quote:
I am well versed in incident mangement, but not so much in problem mangement, so I would a bit advice on where to start this and how to sell it?

You are in the right place, forums are a good way to get advices and exchange opinions. But I suggest you also go to the source, i.e. the ITIL Books, and read again the PM process part, where you will find such things as benefits (for helping you with the though task of selling your idea to the business) and costs of not implementing (again for helping you with the selling task, with the word cost being specially important for you). This will definitely refresh your ideas and give you a good starting point !

Quote:
How do I fit the problem mangement process into the incident life cycle?

You don't. As UJ said, these are different processes. You obviously need to integrate them, but one does not fit into the other !

Quote:
Do I need two teams? Incident and problem managers? or just one problem manager and a few incident managers?

Yes, you need two teams. But of course, depending on the size, culture, budget of your organization, you may choose to wear two hats. This can work, but it is not an easy task. You can for example have one of your incident guys to be a problem analyst once a week. But does he have the necessary skills for PM? He must do !

Quote:
How do I document this hard sell?

You have to say what the business wants to hear. It is difficult for anyone here to tell you what to do, since we do not know your organization. But you must look at the benefits of the process and the costs of not implementing it and translate that to your organization needs. For example, is your company suffering with incidents that keep coming back? This can mean loosing money, and one of the benefits of the PM process is that you get "Permanent solutions. There will be a gradual reduction in the number and impact of Problems and Known Errors as those that are resolved stay resolved."

Regards
Bec74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: First catch your rabbit... Reply with quote

If you benchmark the cost of your incidents and can estimate how many are highly likely to reoccur without intervention to uncover root cause and address, over a given period, ROI on Problem Management should stack up nicely without too much difficulty.

A summary of non realizable benefits & current costs (include reputation, customer trust in reliability of services etc) will help. Look to your company values: what are their stated commitments to customer service and how do ITSM expected outcomes align?

In most org's good incident reporting should help senior leaders (business and IT) appreciate the ongoing cost of incidents and the risks inherent in only having an IM process (or the eventual cost of too much band-aiding).

Not sure of numbers needed? we applied for and got seed funding to pilot and demonstrate value, benchmark FTE needed..and this has worked well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: