Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Stefan83A
New Today: 63
New Yesterday: 106
Overall: 149940

People Online:
Visitors: 39
Members: 1
Total: 40 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL without an ITIL based desk? will it last?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL without an ITIL based desk? will it last?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoe41
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: ITIL without an ITIL based desk? will it last? Reply with quote

I've got a bit of a project exception the days of the credit crunch have effected my service desk provision. eg I might not get one or get the one I want. The one I have isn't fit for purpose. I do have a hope that one day there will be light at the end of the tunnel I might get something.

So I am in the make do and mend level. In fact not going to do much mending of the current tool because it isn't cost effective and there is some reluctance to dedicate time to something that will be replaced.

We don't have a lot of contacts per months, hundreds not thousands. We are a very techie environment so release and change are really important.

I'm completing an audit and findings at teh moment based on ISO20000. Whats the thought on ITIL adoption without the correct tool set in a developement type environment? I can see improvements in the softer areas like SLM, Relationship management, Service catalogue, processes like escalation management, communication etc etc.

The stuff like cmdb forget it I don't have one, I do bits of assets and some event management.

So it's bitty. Anyone else in this boat. Why didn't they right a book about ITIL on a shoestring?

Zoe
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe,

I want to start by rephrasing your question: can you have effective service management without a service desk?

The answer is yes. In fact (off the top of my head) ISO20000 does not have much to say about a service desk.

What you need is the capability to manage and resolve incidents in ways that are good for your customers. Part of doing that requires that your customers can raise incidents; another part is that you can track the resolution process; etc.

You have a bigger problem (with ISO20000) over your CMDB as it is explicitly required. Even here you can meet the requirement without anything sophisticated so long as you can demonstrate that it is controlled, maintained and accessible as required for other processes.

Having said that, the right helpdesk software can make things a lot easier in the long run.

The bottom line is that you can use ITIL to the full to help you build as good a system for Service Management as you can afford which is to say wherever and however the benefits outweigh the costs.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: