Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Dexuanniub
New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 75
Overall: 142311

People Online:
Visitors: 75
Members: 1
Total: 76 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Recommend book or CBT for Foundations Level
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend book or CBT for Foundations Level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walterbyrd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Recommend book or CBT for Foundations Level Reply with quote

I have a degree, and six certifications. I got all of the certs self-study, it's my prefered method.

Most computer certs have books geared specifically towards that cert, i.e. "PMP for Dummies." Sadly, there is nothing like that for ITIL.

I know that are books about ITIL, which might be indirectly useful, but that is not what I'm looking for. I am looking for something specifically geared to passing the ITIL foundation.

Since there are no books, maybe there is some so-called CBT? By that I mean somebody putting words on CD or online, and charging 5X as much.

Anybody know of anything?
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Walter

I am not an expert on training but Liz Gallagher is - look for her posts on this very subject - You can also get the ITIL books on CD One for Service Support & one for Service Delivery as we did - extremely useful

Regards

Ed
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment! The SS and SD books are good, but a bit heavy for foundation. I would recommend (extract from EXIN website below)
Foundations of IT Service Management, based on ITIL is based on the latest edition of the ITIL books on Service Support, Service Delivery and Security Management.
The book fully covers the official syllabus of the ITIL Foundations exam, as it is set by the ITIL Certification Management Board. It contains a chapter on exam preparation, making it even more useful as a study guide for the ITIL Foundation exam. But the practical knowledge collected by the editorial board and the introduction to the field of IT Service Management make the book usesful even for those not preparing for the examination.

Author Pieper, M.; Veen, A. van der; Bon, J. van
Language EN
ISBN 9077212582
There is also (although I have not read it yet)
IT Service Management Foundations:ITIL Study Guide
Description

IT Service Management Foundations: ITIL® Study Guide provides the ITIL Foundations student everything needed to pass the ITIL Foundations exam. Unlike the other ITIL books which are written as reference books and therefore difficult to read, this self study guide is written specifically to prepare students to pass the ITIL Foundations exam. IT Service Management Foundations is an easy to read study guide that gets directly to the heart of the material needed to pass the ITIL Foundations exam. Students will not waste time digging through page after page of obscure reference material struggling to decide which material to study.

Author Palmer, Ron
Language EN
ISBN 0977146901
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that all the self study material (including the ITIL books) are a little lacking for most Foundation level students. I truly fear the day when the "ITIL for Dummies" book comes out.

I almost wish that there was a cottage industry of ITIL Service Managers who could take on the "I prefer self study" students and develop some basic self study materials. These could be given out for free, and then offer one or two hours of consultation to fill in the knowledge gaps for a minimal fee.

I would gladly volunteer a few hours a month to discuss some of the less intuitive aspects of ITIL to Foundation applicants just because I enjoy the subject so much. I think that any such program would have to compensate the time of the Service Managers to some degree to be successful.

Any thoughts?

Don
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree to some extent with what you say, but as a trainer who has just developed a set of slides for the Foundation course, I found it took up a huge amount of time to get them complete and correct.(there are 200+ slides) So I could not really give them out for free - although I applaud anyone who does do that with their own materials. Many self-study candidates are in areas where there are few other qualified people around to ask
I have thought that it might be useful to sell the slide-set manual, along with some accompanying notes and mock exams , as a self-study aid, with some email support. The books can have too much or too little on a topic, or not be geared to the exams. I am not sure about pricing it - it would have to be fairly cheap to make it affordable for an individual The CBT courses are too expensive.
Many Service Managers do 'give something back' to the ITIL community through forums like these, of course.
SVEE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have joined the Technology and infrastructre division of an MNC(infrastructure support for customers).

I am new to ITIL and whish to do the certication courses.

I hope i have to appear for the foudation course?am i correct?
if so i can i do it from chennai?
I am working in chennai.so please guide about undergoing training and obtaining certification from Chennai itself.

Please guide me through this as i don't have any idea on this area.
Gurn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: what book do you recommend for Foundation Walter? Reply with quote

Pls advise me....also, how did you pace yourself for your exams?

Thanks Walter.
theertsa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have joined a Banking sector but work for Technical aspects, I got the training of ITIL for a week and I got certified too, can someone tell me how it can be useful for me if I am in technical side apart from people management.

Pret immobilier
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be good for you.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It won't be good for you.

Diarmid, I disagree with you on that point.

Theertsa, concentrate on the Service Support section of ITIL. Things like Change Management for example to reduce disruption to the business after doing changes on the infrastructure. Problem Management, looking for the root cause of the problem then finding a temp and/or perm fix instead of jumping to the wrong solution over and over again. There are much other things that you can benefit from in ITIL other than people Management, though it wont be as much effective and meaningful. As ITIL processes facilitates each other, that is the big advantage of it.

Before we drift more off the topic. For the people who requested CBT for training instead of books, just type in ITIL CBT nuggets in google and you will find plenty. some of those are short and are useful incase some of you dont like reading.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechosenone69 wrote:
Diarmid, I disagree with you on that point.

My response was derived logically from the question within its context.

However I concede that it was a little overstated and offer the following amended response:

"It is unlikely to be good for you in the foreseeable future."
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theertsa wrote:
I have joined a Banking sector but work for Technical aspects, I got the training of ITIL for a week and I got certified too, can someone tell me how it can be useful for me if I am in technical side apart from people management.

Pret immobilier

Shouldn't this question been asked BEFORE you took the training?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
Shouldn't this question been asked BEFORE you took the training?

Timo,

please pay attention. the poster is in banking.

Anyway, your point was one of the logical considerations that led me to my response which I still believe to be the most helpful.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: