Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Goxysoabsom
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 139
Overall: 131694

People Online:
Visitors: 34
Members: 1
Total: 35 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Desk KPI's in the ITIL environment, help needed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Desk KPI's in the ITIL environment, help needed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinnie2k

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Vinne2k

Thanks for joining this forum.

My pleasure Cool

Quote:

As for uptight. No. What we the heavy posters in the forum are IT Professional using / advocating / etc about ITIL, Best practice and such like

What irritates me and i think it goes for all is when people post things asking for a solution when 1) there is no 'official solution' and 2) they have failed to engage brain and think

The forum gets posts like

what is ITIL
Is this tool ITIL certified
I want my web site ITIL compliant
Can I do ... in Incident mgmt
what font should i use in Problem mgmt (exaggeration yes)
Can you provide me with everything you know about ITIL so i dont have to learn any thing and have to use my mind (more exaggeration)
Can you post the contents of V3 for me (not exaggeration)
Can you tell me where i can find cheats to pass the itil exams
I am doing the self study course.. can you help me answer ....
where can I get training in lower upper outoftown ?
what web site should I go to register for a itil course
I search the web and can not find training course in my area
and so on

I (We) get tired of moronic questions by people who are too lazy to do something, learn something or try to get IP (intellectual property) for free rather than paying for it.

Do what all the other forums do: get a FAQ together, sticky it, refer to it when you see a "moronic" question. Much like ITIL organizations are supposed to put together a knowledge base so that people can benefit from other people's experiences.

Quote:

So you can take your comment about us being uptight and shove it in the deleted bin.

I don't know how many forums you are a frequent user of, but your reaction was, in comparison to those I read and at least IMHO, uptight and way too harsh on the OP. I mean, come on, re-read your post:
"We did. You just did not accept it."
"The forum and its posters are not here to act as an replacement for engaging your brain"
"After all, you can light the fire for a man and keep him warm for 1 cold night or you can make him the Wicker Man and he will be warm for ever"

Were you having a bad day? There's not a single piece of useful advice in there Smile

Quote:

Now as to the KPIs he wants. We have done what our purpose is .. try to give him enough information to find the information himself so that he can learn

I beg to differ. There was little useful practical information in your answer. OP did mention that he was ready to provide any more information in case someone asked.

Quote:

Everything in ITIL is subjective - The company u work at, the culture of the company, the country, the industry, the tools you use and the staff you have to fill the company and the it department.

What does have to do with KPIs? Why not trust OP and tell him: "Well, in my Great Company, here's what we do and here's why".

Quote:

So if you really want, us uptight people will merely post

It depends

for all answers

No comment on this one.

Quote:

Going to the bar for a corona

I hope it was good so that you can come back in better spirits.
Cheers Very Happy
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DML,

Then the forums will be very quiet.

Trebz states that he has passed ITIL foundation course. And supposedly is using the knowledge gained.

The fact that he passed foundation exam indicates that there is an expected level of knowledge that he should have.

A basic question like KPIs indicate that while he may have taken the course / exam and passed, but the knowledge while basic - did not sink in.

He needs to go back and learn it himself so that he can retain that knowledge.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a hang over.

This thread seems an ideal place to state this fact.

UJ

(Beige badge)
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read a Yahoo! Group about ITIL-Service. Basic questions are answered quickly; however, more advanced questions usually receive a cursory answer or only dead air.

By contrast, these forums take advanced questions seriously and deal with them from several angles.

This site meets my needs, while the Yahoo! Group may be better suited for others. --rpmason
Gav
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DML wrote:

Maybe the rule shoule be if you can't say anything helpful then do not post a reply.

I agree. I think some people think they need to reply to everything just to get their post count up or something.

In the last 5 years the mood of this forum has changed thanks to just a couple of spam merchants.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAM Merchants ?

Do you mean those poster who post things that have nothing to do with ITIL and trying to sell crap

or

are you talking about people - like myself - who as you so aptly put

I think some people think they need to reply to everything just to get their post count up or something.

I post because a) I can b) I want to and c) because I can

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so we do sometimes get a bit frustrated at people asking very basic questions - if someone said " I was thinking good KPI's would be xxx, any comments or suggested improvements?", that would be different. Anyone sitting even a Foundation exam will have covered what the generic goal and objectives of a Service Desk are, a quick look at ITIL books (yes, ITIL is based on publications, you get to know what is says by reading it , rather than saying "tell me" If you had the books before - did you ever open them?).
I thought Diarmid's answer was spot on in advising how to approach devising relevant KPI's for your own organisation's Service Desk, whereas Vinnie2K was a lot less helpful, giving very generic advice that would fit any KPI for anything. But that is just my opinion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: