Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RHaire
New Today: 26
New Yesterday: 82
Overall: 143855

People Online:
Visitors: 52
Members: 3
Total: 55 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Agile and ITIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Agile and ITIL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
japaleno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Agile and ITIL Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience of operating in an environment that has adopted both an Agile Development methodology and implemented ITIL processes and organisation?
In particular I am interested in experiences related to ensuring the required operational documentation, training etc are appropriately managed and delivered.
Can anyone help?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ITIL is not a development too, ITIL has no bearing on how something is developed

if the thing is put into production, then ITIL best practice has an interest

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
japaleno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, however to receive a new software release into production you still need to have support documentation produced, service validation, capacity impact assessments undertaken etc. I have no experience of assuring service integration in an agile environment and wondered if I would have to heavily involved with the developers during each and every sprint?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why should you ?

what is your role ?

that requirement belongs to specific roles and people in a s/w development life cycle

project mgr mgmt
developmetn mgmt
developer mgmt
test mgmt

etc

all you doing all these roles

if you are the change mgr, then as part of the cm process, you expect that the release has been test sucessfully in the same type of environment your production environment is, you expect the people who come to the change board are professional enough to provide details

in addition, the board should also have other mgrs who have their respective responsibility in the SDLC

if you are a service desk personnel .. it is way above your pay grade

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
King

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Japaleno,

I have been working for a company where a couple of services were depending on software produced by an Agile team.

When this team has started to produce, our change and release policies were not adapted to their way of working. We were not reactive enough. In a same way, the service desk was reluctant to support these services, because some of them were changing very often, and some others had a very short lifecycle.

I left the company (located in France and UK) a couple of months ago, but I am still in touch with the manager of the team, and also with the service manager.
If you are interested in discussing with them, I can try to ask them.

Just send me a PM.

Regards,
Fabien
wood400

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Agile and ITIL Reply with quote

This can be a very interesting topic. It’s worth looking at Ed Yourdon’s work. His focus is on software engineering. One of this remarks is “Consistency trumps brilliance + death-march”. The current recessed economies will probably increase the chances of death-march projects for at least the next year or two. Instead, he says we should focus more on approaches like ISO-9000 and ITIL. His blog site has some useful material: [NO LINKS PLEASE]
The size of the project has some bearing on where the best balance is found between agility and discipline/consistency. To some agility and discipline are not mutually exclusive. That’s well and good in theory but in practice it’s not that simple. The trick is to recognise early enough when an agile project looks like becoming a death-march project.
Caleb

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING is talking about the big fact the way something has to be and this is exactly how i feel,Because its all about doing better when you are unable to do much but through some moderated circumstance it can be done and that feels amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: