Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: R1810
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 48
Overall: 146029

People Online:
Visitors: 57
Members: 1
Total: 58 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - V3 streams to become an ITIL Expert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V3 streams to become an ITIL Expert
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCDave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: ITIL V2 Service Managers Exams Reply with quote

What is said earlier that ITIL V2 Mangers course was the easy way, made me laugh. The easy way is 10 days with a further 6 weeks of studying and only 65 percent of persons pass the 1st time. Lets just say my wife had a lot of patience.
I resat Service Delivery and passed, so am now A red badge holder and will go on to the managers bridge next year.. V2 Managers is NOT multiple choice and is a lot harder with only 3 hours to answer 5 questions. Multiple choice has made ITIL a lot easier and my respect is for those who have done it the so called EASY way...
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dave

for the positive remarks that the new scheme... sucks (my words)

I too did the easy

How is your writing hand.... mine was cramped for two days

but the good thing was the cramped position was perfect for holding a beer - tightly....

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

well after going thru the capability and lifecycle courses (ST, SD, SO, CSI, OSA, SOA, RCV and "Managing across the Lifecycle") and studying the 5 core books and misc. complementary books over the last 6 month, I still hold onto my first opinion, that the v2 road would have been easier. I`ve failed two capability exams (SOA, RCV), each by 1 point, which I`ll be redoing in the next month and I still need to do my MATL exam.

Just for the record. The sample scenerio questions to all intermediate courses are easy. The real thing is the killer.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not what I want to hear. I have been living and breathing, not to mention eating this stuff. sigh
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dybeach

Don`t let me demotivate you. I think the major problem is (at least by me), by the exams you have to put yourself in the mindset, that ITIL is the 100% solution and the only right way. By the exams I`d failed, I tried using common sense, my work experience and logic to answer the questions. Apparently people who have no experience in IT, project management or economics fail less in v2 or v3 exams because they take the core books as a bible.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aucade

so what i have feared has taken place with the V3 multiple guess exams

I took the ISO20k consultants exams - it was 1/2 multiple guess and part essay / short answer.

the cobit one was a multiple guess

it is like the microsoft exams

you have the right answer, the wrong answer and the microsoft answer - as it is a test to know the microsoft answer for the question

I am dealing the foundation v3 until I feel that the exam has gone through enough revisions to be worth taking the course

Look out liz.. I am going to try to find a manager's bridge that you are teaching buwhaaahahah

LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:

Look out liz.. I am going to try to find a manager's bridge that you are teaching buwhaaahahah

What a prospect! lol
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ukviking

Quote:
I took the ISO20k consultants exams - it was 1/2 multiple guess and part essay / short answer.

Are you talking about the ISO20K consultants exam from the itSMF UK?
There seems to be 2 different certification types. We have one in Germany, which has a foundation level, 5 professional level certifications and then 2 consultant or auditor level certifications. Certification is done by the TÜV-Süd in Germany or EXIN in Holland.

Quote:
the cobit one was a multiple guess

Strange because I heard the COBIT Practioner certification from the german chapter (ISACA) is also a 3 hour essay. Maybe the COBIT Basic Practioner is only multiple choice.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aucade

Yes.. I took the itsmf iso20k course/exam

i took the isaca cobit foundation exam

this is not the auditor course cgeit or the cissa exam but the isaca offered course

aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I know this will bring up another discussion from hardcore v2 service managers. Now that I`ve actually gone through the ITIL v3 curriculum (probably one of the first worldwide besides accredited trainers), at first failing two out of eight exams and compairing my knowledge with a collegue who took the road over the v2 service manager and v3 bridge, it has hardened my first comment. The v2 road to ITIL Expert is easier than the v3 road. It also shows that a 6 hour written exam proves nothing about actual experience in service management and the ITIL Framework except for the experience of cramps in the hand for people who have`nt been handwriting in the last decade.

Since going thru this road, I`m actually pissed off that the APMG is still offering the bridge courses for v1 and v2 experts. I understand that qualified people should get the chance to upgrade their qualification. I just find it bizare that people that have no qualification or service management experience at all can actually still shortcut over the v2 road.

Sorry if I sound so harsh, but I`m experiencing how dangerous half-knowledge of consultants is for a company, especially when senior managment is fixed on a formal qualification instead of additionally taking the years of experience into account. Stupidity or denial seems to always win.
COBIT Practitioner (ISACA)
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the V2 Managers and V3 Managers Bridge. Personally I learned alot more in the V2 Managers course and I memorized plenty for the V3 Managers Bridge.

No multi-choice exam can actually test for experience, especially not for Service Strategy & CSI because the ITIL books are just one of dozens of other methods to get the same thing sorted...

PS: listing your certs in your signature reminds me of Arnold Rimmer's BSC and SSC (Bronze and Silver Swimming Certificates), not necessary.
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomOzITIL_2 wrote:

PS: listing your certs in your signature reminds me of Arnold Rimmer's BSC and SSC (Bronze and Silver Swimming Certificates), not necessary.

I`m with you on that, but you never know if someone out there has a job to offer. So honking sometimes helps. Wink
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aucade"]
TomOzITIL_2 wrote:

Are you bagging my Surf Bronze? Laughing
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Flaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: ITILS Hard or Easy Routes Reply with quote

I just wanted to say, for me took the foundation exam very easy, i took the IPSR Practitioner course because this is the area i eventually want to work and that too was fairly easy. Both were multiplle choice answers.
I took Service managers courses and exams the 2 x 3 hour written exams and this was tough! Tough - nothing especially rock hard, but because you have to write about ITILS for 3 hours you have to know it and know it well.

No guessing what process lives in a diagrammed box, your writing about it for 25 minutes or more. Worse still you dont get a choice like choose 3 questioins from 5!! The exams are hard because how well learnt is enough? The material i really enjoyed so not such a chore for me, but without a doubt the only 'IT course/exam' i have taken for a while where i was worried i might not pass it.

I trust what the others are saying about the route to expert i want to do it but i think v2 Managers is far the stronger route in terms of what you know 6/12 months later when it counts.

My tuppence..for what its worth..

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: