Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LTowner
New Today: 70
New Yesterday: 62
Overall: 142045

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 1
Total: 67 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ISO 20000 certification in very small environment
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISO 20000 certification in very small environment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: ISO 20000 certification in very small environment Reply with quote

ITILcommunity,
Has someone experience in the ISO 20000 certification of a very small organisation (6 IT staff)? I've implemented all V2 processes several times in SME. Have you recognized some very tricky topics? I would like to share experiences.

My background: I'm no newby in ITIL v2 (8 years hands-on implementation, red badge, etc.) and passed the ISO 20k consultant certification. I 've been involved in the preparation of the certifiction for a large company so i know the general concepts.

Thx,

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
G.C. Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBU / Michael

I would have to ask what is the point of getting the ISO 20k certification for this small organization ?

I mean you have to meet all of the :1 and then get an external audit to certify that the org meet this

Granted, it is a good thing to be ISO20k but as you probably remember from the course - the ISO20k certification is very specific for the org

While the IT set may be small, how big of a foot print does this group support the company

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBU,

I agree with Viking, as it seems a fairly daft.

However, as you probably already know you can work with the BSI or whoever and they can help you benchmark and also set a 'reasonable' path of improvements. Afterall a catch-all standard like this contains more than most departments need at the best of times.

UJ

(Beige badge)
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the reply from the 2 of the "forum heros" Smile
I agree to your points, but as a consultant I've to survive our hard times ...
Company is in the public sector and due to financial support of the government the Board decided that "ISO 20k is something our IT has to do"....

I would like to get in touch with RCB extremely early and discuss the unique situation and identify a "best practice" for the 20k in such a small environment. Head of IT is fairly experinced in ITIL and sees advantages, but needs external support. I'm pretty sure we have maturity 0 in all processes so improvement will be easy ... but all of the roles produce some headaches. As I wrote I'm experineced with implementation in small environments, but 20k is something different.
So, if there are more hands-on hints please let me know.
Cheers and enjoy your weekend.

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MBU,

The weekend was good thanks, yours? The sun came out to play... well it's gone now but hell, I'm sitting in an audit review meeting all morning with one of the 'big four'. That'll be fun... where are my pills?

Anyway, getting back to the topic, the good news is that it's public sector and they do have cash to spend right now.

I think you're right to talk to the key influencers and establish the scope of this work, it seems like overkill but this is what public sector entities tend to go for.

I'm not trying to tell you anything you don't already know, but if it's hard to know where to begin then I'd start by recommending you do a maturity/benchmarking assessment against the standard (if not already done) and provide a report that will astound and amaze.

Everyone sits down, realises the report is just a list of zeros/red traffic lights and then you make recommendations as to where to start. I don't know what type of org it is but if it were me I'd be looking at financial controls first and introduce some Change Management process at least in terms of establishing a formal way of capturing segregation of duties (+approval) and separation of environments - if you've got em.

I've no doubt you know this all already, I'm just thinking out loud and it's good to get a second opinion.

Ultimately you should end up creating a long term plan of action based on the areas of improvement the IT management think or the most urgent and remember you can strip out everything down to the bare bones of what is 'appropriate' for the scale of IT organisation. Further benchmarking will keep things on track and you in the cash.

UJ

(Beige badge)
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ,
Weekend wasquite ok, but when I arrived in the office this morning the service level of the heating seems to be breached (13, brrr) ...
Thx for your opinions.
Well, especially in small environments there're a lot of surprises in the assessments so I'll prepare the plan thereafter (btw, I'm using "SPiCE 1-2-1 for ISO 20k" --no ad -- from Andreas Nehfort).
Benchmarking will be difficult, as I'm in a country with < 500.000 habitants so I've always difficulties with that point (as usual over here, they are unique).
Anyway, if you're interested I'll keep you up to date.
Cheers,
MBU

ps: Don't worry, even the "B4" need pills to survive their week

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBU wrote:
btw, I'm using "SPiCE 1-2-1 for ISO 20k

this seems to be for software development, not IT Service Management?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid,
nope, download the demo-version for ISO 20K and not for DEV and you'll be surprised. It's ISO 15504 for an ISO 20k.
If you've tried the demo please give a feedback.
MBU

UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which country?

Just out of interest...

UJ

(Beige badge)
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Country - symbol on cars is "L" and our "Head of State" is the Grand Duc ... Wink

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L is for learners' permit ?

Grand Duchy of Fenwick ?

UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Grand Duchy a cognac? Mmm, living in an alcoholic state...

Liberia it is then....

UJ

(Beige badge)
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope,
L = Luxus-Berg -> luxury-mountain

Great example how our Government sees itself and my project is a great example how they support the domestic business Smile
Anyway, I like it over here

btw: TVA on alcohol is 3 - 12 % which makes life comfortable somtimes ... especially after meetings with the B4

Cheers,
MBU

UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I was kinda going with Luxemborg or Lichtenstein but Lichtenstein sounds like where Dracula comes from and I hear he's not big on ITIL.

I went to Luxemborg when I was a kid and it seemed really nice if not... small. About the size of my garden.

I'd love to work in Europe but I only speak English at the moment. I can, however, order beer in 32 languages.

UJ

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word is beer

It works in most languages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Related Topics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: