Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KMacFarla
New Today: 21
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148432

People Online:
Visitors: 51
Members: 0
Total: 51

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Designing for availability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Designing for availability
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Designing for availability Reply with quote

BorisBear wrote:
Our method of calculating whether we can deliver required availability is along the lines of 'resilient servers x network x routers x desktop.....etc' (i.e. the traditional straight out of an ITIL book view of designing for availability). This is far too simplistic for my liking as it doesn't account for the internal and external support required to keep these components running and to fix them when they go wrong.

Sorry Boris, I might have misunderstood the above quote.
JoePearson
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BorisBear wrote:
Hmmmm...not sure I agree. What if the service is up and down like a gigolo's bottom with each downtime period being just a few minutes. In my experience this can be an even worse customer experience.

Good point. Sorry if I gave a different impression. (I don't put forum posts through any release control process!)

That example supports my claim that you shouldn't focus purely on percentage availability: 30 outages of 2 minutes in a month can be much worse than one outage of 1 hour, but both could be about 99.5% availability. Only the business can answer, but only the provider, usually, can ask the right questions.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

have you considered a Borg collective for support staff?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoePearson

With your example, most NMS tools are set to 5 minutes.... so the multiple bounces w/in may note reacha reporting threshold... but may reach an activity log threshold

When I use to manage NOC we wold see links bounce like a women's beach volleyball game. nice non PC visual

The outages were lesss than 5 minutes so the NMS tool did not report

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
JoePearson
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... I'm going to design a new network monitoring tool which graphically shows bouncing links as you have suggested. Since I started typing this I've got 70 orders for it.
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid wrote:
Boris,

have you considered a Borg collective for support staff?

We did once outsource to Androids (you decide who this was) - to be fair it had the desired effect.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather outsource to Altoids

At least their breath is fresh, unlike the the SD scottsih terriers in book 6

Maybe a new chapter or section is needed

Breath Mints for the SD staff

asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Wookies were much better than androids or altoids whatsoever Surprised
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altoids are a a brand name for a Breath mint that is rather strong

Wookies shed too much hair andsome people are allergic t the hair in the NOC

nasz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well add my own two pennies worth!

Availability of the component is the percentage of time when system is operational. Availability of a hardware/software component can be obtained by the formula given below.

A=MTBF/(MTBF+MTTR)

Example 01:
If we are using equipment which has ‘Mean Time Between Failure’ (MTBF) of 81.5 years and ‘Mean Time To Recovery’ (MTTR) of 1 hour:
MTBF in hours = 81.5*365*24=713940
Availability= MTBF/(MTBF+MDT) = 713940/713941 =99.999859%
Unavailability = 0.000141%
Outage due to equipment in hours per year
Unavailability =0.01235 hours per year.

Whereas, availability of an IS service or system (a combination of hardware/software components) is the percentage of time when the service is operational. Availability of an IS service can be obtained by the formula given below:

A=Uptime/(Uptime +Downtime)

Example 02:
If an IS Service has an agreed uptime of 200 hours for a 30 day period (M-F 0800-1800hrs) and was not available for 3 hours during that time the availability of that IS Service is 98.52% for that period.

200/(200 +3)=0.9852 or 98.52%

However, when an IS Service is utilised by several different business units; and each unit has an individual SLA on place with IS Operations, the following formula can provide a means of calculating the end-user availability of a specific group, region or location, where the IS Service is delivered:

(Agreed Hours* No.of Users-Sum of (incident x Duration* % of users affected))/(Agreed Hours* No.of Users)*100

Example 03:
If an IS Service has an agreed uptime of 200 hours for a 30 day period (M-F 0800-1800hrs) and has a user community of 1000 users in four locations (Each location has 250 users) and one location experiences a single outage of 3 hours. Therefore the end-user availability of that IS Service is 99.625% for that period.

(200 *1000-(3 x 25%) )/(200*1000)*100=99.625 or 99.635%

Availability is typically specified in nines notation. For example ‘3-nines’ availability corresponds to 99.9% availability. A ‘5-nines’ availability corresponds to 99.999% availability.

Availability will be shown in service terms, as opposed to component, system or server terms as the business does not see the component level. All they know is that the email service is unavailable for example. This change in perception of unavailability will help drive IS to be more customer focused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: