Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: FYFE
New Today: 51
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 143543

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Desk KPI's in the ITIL environment, help needed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Desk KPI's in the ITIL environment, help needed.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trebz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Service Desk KPI's in the ITIL environment, help needed. Reply with quote

Dear all

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this post is in the wrong area.

I have been working within a relatively lose ITIL Service Desk environment for some years now but recently it has become apparent that i need to turn things up a notch.

Starting with setting up basic KPI's for myself and my Service Desk staff.

My problem is simple:

I have never had to setup KPI's in the past so im not sure where to start.

As i manage an ITIL Service Desk and this is an ITIL forum i thought id make a start here.

Can anyone help?

I really need an idoits guide if there is one out there.

Is there a forum for things such as KPI's or can you guys and gals help me.

If you need anymore information from me let me know.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Trebz
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest Service Desk/Incident/Problem training whether it's V2 or V3. Sample KPIs are covered in the ITIL books. If you do an internet search for Service Desk KPIs you might find some others that are useful in your organization.

--rpmason
Trebz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmason wrote:
I'd suggest Service Desk/Incident/Problem training whether it's V2 or V3. Sample KPIs are covered in the ITIL books. If you do an internet search for Service Desk KPIs you might find some others that are useful in your organization.

--rpmason

Thanks for that. I have spent the last hour or so googling 'KPI Service Desk' and found some not so useful information so i came here, signed up and asked for help.

If you check my signature you will see that i have already been ITIL trained and qualified. I have not dealt with the KPI section since i completed the course which was in June 2005, hence my request for help.

I do not have my ITIL books as someone 'borrowed' them from my office.
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trebz, When I mentioned training, I meant Practioner or Intermediate certfication. Foundations could be enough ITIL training for Service Desk agents but not the Service Desk Manager (imho).

If you can't get your "borrowed" books back, the V2 books are much cheaper these days and some, I think, are already out of print.

--rpmason
ITIL V2 Foundations (Nov 2005)
ITIL IPSR (Feb 2008)
IT Service Manager (scheduled for 1Q 2009)
Trebz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmason wrote:
Hi Trebz, When I mentioned training, I meant Practioner or Intermediate certfication. Foundations could be enough ITIL training for Service Desk agents but not the Service Desk Manager (imho).

If you can't get your "borrowed" books back, the V2 books are much cheaper these days and some, I think, are already out of print.

--rpmason
ITIL V2 Foundations (Nov 2005)
ITIL IPSR (Feb 2008)
IT Service Manager (scheduled for 1Q 2009)

*Edited as i thought my answer sounded a little nasty*

'Go and spend some money' was not the answer i expected Smile

Can anyone else help?
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trebz,

I actually agree with RPMason as a lot of people don't view process improvement as a tangible investment like buying a server.

However if you're looking for freebies check out the Help Desk Institute (HDI), as their site might give you some tips.

I'm sure there's loads of others too, just can't think of any right now!

UJ

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did. You just did not accept it.

Do you still have the foundation course materials ?
You can go to the ITIL web site - usually linked by the country itsmf site

The Glossary and the pocket book are on line.

The pocket book is in PDF form and download able

To help you out / give you hints

You are exposed to KPIs all time if you follow sports, the market, etc. they may be called something else but they are basically the same

ONE LAST THING: The forum and its posters are not here to act as an replacement for engaging your brain, etc. We will not give you the answer because the answer is subjective and content oriented. The best answer we give is... IT DEPENDS.

You have to spend effort - time,money, etc - to get the knowledge and reap the benefits.

If you dont make mistakes, do your own search and gain knowledge, how would you gain experience

After all, you can light the fire for a man and keep him warm for 1 cold night or you can make him the Wicker Man and he will be warm for ever

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Trebz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep googling.

Thanks for the input.

Trebz
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Google

ITSMF is the Service management foundation that is the focal point for IT service management details

British Computer society has ISEB under its banner

OGC is the UK government owner of ITIL

ISACA is the owner / source of CoBIT

HDI is for well the Help Desk

If you google for say ITIL, you may get training companys etc etc and this website,

if you google for KPI same thing

go to the web site for the organizations as they are the source for all

NOTE: ITIL Foundation course gives you the basic information
Practitioner more focused on specific processes w/in ITIL and the Manager's certification is the Holy Grail.

10 day course 2 day exam

that is V2.

If you think the foundation is the end of the knowledge, you are mistaken

rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trebz, I see you joined today. Spend some time reading this forum and you'll see many answers along the lines of "you need to understand <xyz> and take the time to apply it to your situation".

Skip that conference in a sunny locale this year and use your professional development monies for ITIL or HDI training.

If your employer doesn't provide professional development, you're in a stagnant situation. That will cost the company greatly while you flounder around trying to figure it out on your own.

--rpmason
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to butt in. I may have been asleep earlier.

Trebz, I doubt very much that you "manage an ITIL Service Desk". I suspect that you mange an IT services Service Desk and that your processes have some attributes derived from ITIL.

I don't do idiots' guides. My managers' guides for this question is:

1. determine what things are important about the performance of the service desk.
2. determine how to measure these.
3. set up a process to perform the measurements and a process to do something with the measurements... and a review process.

If you don't understand what the performance requirements are then you will not be able to identify the KPIs. If you do understand then you do not need to ask us what they are or what to do with them.

It should all go back to why you "need to turn things up a notch." I suspect you need to articulate that and then consider exactly what needs improved and then focus on that.

The idea that throwing KPIs at a system and expecting improvement is no more logical than throwing a tantrum at the system. The only way to improve a system is to analyse what it does and how it does it and how much it costs to do it and then try to make it do the same for less or more for the same.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
vinnie2k

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talk about a bunch of uptight people Crying or Very sad
Worst help thread I've ever seen.
vinnie2k

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Service Desk KPI's in the ITIL environment, help needed. Reply with quote

Trebz wrote:
I have never had to setup KPI's in the past so im not sure where to start.

You can use the GQM (Goal - Question - Metric) framework.

Start by asking yourself: what is my goal? What goals were set for me? If you have none, make one up by looking at what can be improved. Ask feedback from your team, their input can be a nice source of information. Once you have some basis for goals, present them to your boss. Remember, goals have to be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely.

Once the goals are validated, ask how you can reach them by asking questions around those goals. Ask as many as possible because not all of them (and especially those that usually come up first) are not easy to measure.

Finally, for each "good" question you have, define a metric. Define it very precisely and be ready to stick to that definition for some time: it's better to keep a slightly inadequate metric than to fiddle with it every day. Define what data points are going in, and what data points are going out. Define when it is measured. Define how it is calculated, and automate it if possible (automation forces clear definitions).

Then measure those metrics for a number of time intervals so that you can define a baseline. After that, start applying your measures/improvements ideas (I doubt that you have the manpower to apply them all at the same time Very Happy) and see your metrics go in that direction you defined.

Note that it's got nothing to do with ITIL Cool
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinne2k

Thanks for joining this forum.

As for uptight. No. What we the heavy posters in the forum are IT Professional using / advocating / etc about ITIL, Best practice and such like

What irritates me and i think it goes for all is when people post things asking for a solution when 1) there is no 'official solution' and 2) they have failed to engage brain and think

The forum gets posts like

what is ITIL
Is this tool ITIL certified
I want my web site ITIL compliant
Can I do ... in Incident mgmt
what font should i use in Problem mgmt (exaggeration yes)
Can you provide me with everything you know about ITIL so i dont have to learn any thing and have to use my mind (more exaggeration)
Can you post the contents of V3 for me (not exaggeration)
Can you tell me where i can find cheats to pass the itil exams
I am doing the self study course.. can you help me answer ....
where can I get training in lower upper outoftown ?
what web site should I go to register for a itil course
I search the web and can not find training course in my area
and so on

I (We) get tired of moronic questions by people who are too lazy to do something, learn something or try to get IP (intellectual property) for free rather than paying for it.

So you can take your comment about us being uptight and shove it in the deleted bin.

Now as to the KPIs he wants. We have done what our purpose is .. try to give him enough information to find the information himself so that he can learn

Everything in ITIL is subjective - The company u work at, the culture of the company, the country, the industry, the tools you use and the staff you have to fill the company and the it department.

So if you really want, us uptight people will merely post

It depends

for all answers

Going to the bar for a corona

DML
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK Viking - I do appreciate your point - but I do think Vinnie2k also has a point.

Maybe the rule shoule be if you can't say anything helpful then do not post a reply.

The problem being that some of the response posts I have seem do seem to 'attack' - I understand your frustration at the 'stupidity' of some questions, but I am sure you would not want to discourage new peoiple from participating - so maybe just ignore those posts that annoy you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: