Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: NLefler
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 61
Overall: 141976

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 2
Total: 67 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Some advice for a junior
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some advice for a junior

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexd

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Some advice for a junior Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to the ITIL world but have already gotten a general view of what it is. I was working for a consulting firm that specialized in ITIL implementations (on paper). After about half a year of "consulting" for them, I came to realize that they were simply using me as a tool to charge their client for time. That being said, I left them since I actually wanted to learn the proper approach to ITIL implementations.

And so I purchased an online V2 foundation course (because 6 months working for them wasn't enough to push me through one of the courses they offered regularily), passed my exam, registered with itSMF, registered myself so I can work as an independant and started getting in touch of the few contacts I had made during those 6 months, no results yet, just a bunch of "I might have something in a couple of weeks". Those couple of weeks came and went...

Today I am still unemployed and looking for work, finding it rather hard to get anything due to my lack of experience (I was in university before starting for the consulting firm).

I guess my question is, what do I do now? I've been sending applications for non-ITIL related positions, but my technical skills are not at the level required by today's market... Any advice would be greatly appreciated (and if anyone feels that they could use, I said USE, not abuse Smile a junior I'm willing to relocate, at least for a few months.)

Cheers!
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Alexd

this is imho only; others may have a diferent take.

Think of the path to ITIL certification as learning a language. The Foundations course teaches you the words. Further along the path, you will learn the grammar, and how to read write and speak with increasing complexity.

Naturally you will not become fluent just by attending classes, you have to go out and engage others in conversation.

Does this metaphor work for you?
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexd

Congratulation on getting the FOundation exam. like Dy beach has said, it is merely a first step

here is my sugestion

look for roles like service desk or helpdesk / call centre bodies
no real experience is necessary - for the first rung on the ladder

emphasis to the recruiter/hire person/ that you understand the concepts of Service management, itil and the role that the service desk has to offer and you think your addition to the company would benefit

this may mean shift work - ugly hours, ugly days - take it

When you get hired / not if

do the job that they want you to do.. listen learn how reality and book concepts differ
take the position education 's and

idiot calls
idiot users / results -
repeatign call
escalation practices and constraints - the pesky thing called time
learn how the concepts work or not

do this role for a year or two -- gett ing internal skills / learning
try for senior helpdesk -

you may find you hate IT - but love service management - customer facing stuff
learn etc

the foundation certification is not - the key to get a job
it is a notice that you are learning somehting that is usefull

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexd,

put your email in your profile so that people can let you know if they hear of anything (hint hint everybody) and get behind me in the queue.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a recruiter called me today about a job in Canberra with a big 3 outsourcer
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
alexd

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all of you for your insight, am taking it to heart as I look for service desk positions.

Diarmid wrote:
Alexd,

put your email in your profile so that people can let you know if they hear of anything (hint hint everybody) and get behind me in the queue.

Done

If anyone does have something that would fit my current abilities, although I would prefer to stay here in Montreal, Canada, I am willing to relocate.

Again, thank you for your replies, I'll be lurking around this forum from now on... Smile
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Alexd

Congratulation on getting the FOundation exam. like Dy beach has said, it is merely a first step

here is my sugestion

look for roles like service desk or helpdesk / call centre bodies
no real experience is necessary - for the first rung on the ladder

emphasis to the recruiter/hire person/ that you understand the concepts of Service management, itil and the role that the service desk has to offer and you think your addition to the company would benefit

this may mean shift work - ugly hours, ugly days - take it

When you get hired / not if

do the job that they want you to do.. listen learn how reality and book concepts differ
take the position education 's and

idiot calls
idiot users / results -
repeatign call
escalation practices and constraints - the pesky thing called time
learn how the concepts work or not

do this role for a year or two -- gett ing internal skills / learning
try for senior helpdesk -

you may find you hate IT - but love service management - customer facing stuff
learn etc

the foundation certification is not - the key to get a job
it is a notice that you are learning somehting that is usefull

That is outstanding advice UKV. Sincere and pragmatic.

All I would add for that is for Alexd to volunteer to help out on any projects, join any improvement groups and also challenge the status quo (get hold of the Continuous Service Improvement book and try to find some ways to improve service/reduce costs). Get a hold of any historical data, find some themes and try to come up with some ideas for improvement.

If you want to fast-track to more responsibility you need to take some educated risks, be proactive etc etc.

Be careful who you pitch your ideas to - find a mentor inside or outside your company (a senior person above middle management who has "made it"). Schedule a monthly catch-up with them. You'd be surprised what you can learn quickly.

Learn how to communicate in business language to senior people. Google "speaking to the big dogs" to see what I mean.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Jobs All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: