Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TMcCann
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 142364

People Online:
Visitors: 71
Members: 1
Total: 72 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL V2 Self Study without classroom training
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL V2 Self Study without classroom training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mackera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: ITIL V2 Self Study without classroom training Reply with quote

Hi there. I passed the ITIL V2 foundations some years ago and decided now that I want to do the Service manager certification. Am I mad to think I can self study this and not do the 2 X 5day courses? Has this been done before? I can't do it due to work commitments but I want to be able to sit the exam Early May at the latest.

Any advice would be grealty appreciated. Also does anyone know where I can get hold of sample papers and some case studies? So far only managed to get my hands on last Februarys case study.

Thanks a mill..
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant
PERIOD

the requirement is a 10 day course w/ a 2 day exam

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Mackera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply UKVIKING, however I have already received confirmation from two reputable exam centres that I can do the revision day and 2 exams without having done the 10 day classroom based course.

So it is possible, I just want to know if there is anyone out there who has actually done it?..
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently doing some V3 practitioner, and really I think you would be much better off doing the course. Your chances of passing using the mthod you are suggesting would be greatly reduced imho.
In all probability you would fail the exam and then decide to go do the course, so why waste time
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,

Your response is requested on the 10 day course / 2 day exam

Manager's certificate

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Entry Requirements

Candidates should have had responsibility for taking substantial technical decisions affecting the support or delivery of IT services and have successfully completed the two one-week, ISEB accredited courses."

Source: BCS website.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand, the V2 Manager's Certificate course is required as the prerequisite for sitting the 2 day exam.

The Manager's exam is not a multiple guess exam or an computer based exam that can be done at a Prometric centre (or any other Testing centre)

I went to ISEB and pulled their description

From the ISEB (BCS) Web site

Candidates should have had responsibility for taking substantial technical decisions affecting the support or delivery of IT services and have successfully completed the two one-week, ISEB accredited courses.

Candidates also need to hold the Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management. Training Providers will ensure candidates hold this Certificate before they take the training course.

Details of how to register for this examination are in the Your Exam section.

the 2 week course prepares you in two ways

1 - under stand in detail each of the 10 disciplines and 1 function that makes up Service delivery & support.
2 - how to answer specific questions in line with the style and method that the Examiner will look for

The entire exam set is a 2 day - afternoon / morning 3 hour essay exam where 5 questions are asked - 1 for each discipline. Of which, 3 of the questions will most likely reference the Case study.

You have to get 50 % on each exam to pass. 65 % on both is Distinction.

The objective of the 10 day course is to not only learn the material but to be able to discuss, agree. agrue, counter point etc on the details of the SS & SD books as well as discuss with your fellow students.

I am quite surprised that the 'reputable' exam centre said that. Hopefully it is a Training company as well.

Mackera,

Even if you can take the exams w/o the courses, there is NO information (legally) that is available for self study for the 2 exams. While you can use the CASE Study that you acquired and the SD & SS books, you dont know what kind of questions and how to answer the questions

I sat the 10 day course + the 2 day revision course.

I then studied for almost 3 months (1-2 hours a night) each discipline trying to make sure I knew the material and I could not only regurgitate the information but also analysis the information in SS & SD and provide my own words to the details

Your best bet is to take the course. If you work for a company, you should get them to sponsor(pay) for the course and then take the time to do the course and then study .. study study////

Please look at the other posts in this and other forum in here

SNIDE COMMENT: Shortcutting and trying to get around the requirements cheats not only yourself but others who have spent the time etc to get the certification the proper way

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting also that the phrase is "successfully completed".

In other words sitting through the course is not sufficient.

When I did it (or rather, its predecessor), course assessment counted towards the exam. We had to impress the tutors which was a tall order for someone as short as myself. Especially with the Man U supporter (can you believe it?)
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="UKVIKING"]Liz,

Your response is requested on the 10 day course / 2 day exam

Manager's certificate[/quote

Sorry - missed this one!
As stated by others, you MUST attend an accredited course. It is the Course Provider who puts you forward for the exam. Even if you memorised both books to would gain a lot from the discussions/challenges to your pet beliefs/exam practice and feedback that you get from a course.
As a member of the marking panel, I know we get fe up with peple thinking that what is required is a dump of the book, without analysis or personal input
MSP
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: ITIL V2... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've been away for a while but I'm back!

Saw your note about doing self study for the V2 Managers. Incidentally, I have been looking at that today but based on the fact that tutorial courses are 10 days + 2 days revision, I think it gives you an idea of the amount of work involved.

What if you were to do the self study and go on a 2-day revision course.

As I'm sure you'll know, most qualifications are based on 50% knowledge and 50% knowing how to answer a question!

Just a thought for you!

MSP. Very Happy
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said above, this is not an option - rightly or wrongly you MUST attend an accredited course by an accredited course provider, using accredited materials, delivered by accredited trainer(s)
V3 examinations above Foundation level will also require a mandatory accredited course, but this may be by distance-learning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: