Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: BereniceP
New Today: 25
New Yesterday: 76
Overall: 142320

People Online:
Visitors: 73
Members: 3
Total: 76 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CMJ Case study for Managers exam March 26/27th
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CMJ Case study for Managers exam March 26/27th
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the dust has settled, I would like to make a few salient points that I believe to be pertinent.

Firstly, if anyone has taken the course, then they should have received all the advise from their instructors that they could possibly need on how to tackle the exam, assuming they have the appropriate skills, knowledge and experience to be there in the first place. I don't think my experience was unique when those of us on the course helped and supported one another through our different experience and understandings as well as the instructors tuning their approach to each of us.

Secondly, why would people who have sweated through the ordeal want to dilute the value of their qualification by artificially boosting the exam passing capability of anyone who has still to prove her or him self?

Thirdly, I would be too embarrassed to let anyone know I wanted to get through an exam without necessarily having the true capability to achieve it.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Walid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: ITIL Forum to discuss moral not ITIL CMJ or other Case stud. Reply with quote

thanks for the replies,

Anybody wants to discuss the Case studies on this ITIL Forum website. not just Moral and idealism.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walid must mean you John. I was being immensely practical. It is very hard to do a job when you do not understand what it is about. Especially if people think you do.

Oops! Maybe some people don't care how well they do things.

Mea culpa.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walid - you have outlined the questions you need to consider for this case study.......do you just want someone to validate your own thoughts on the areas in which there may be some question? Its fair enough if thats what you're after - if that is the case then it looks like you're thinking along the right lines
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walid

There is NO point to discuss the Case study as they change every quarter.

This forum is NOT a study forum for taking ITIL courses - nor should it be

Important question:

Have you taken the 2 week course for the ITIL Service Manager's (ITIL V2) Certificate - otherwise known as the Red Badge certificate ?

You CAN NOT (emphasis) take the exam - a 2 day exam - without taking the 2 week course.

If you have taken the course, what you learned or should have learned in the course - the discussions about each discipline, the inclass exercises, etc - will prepare you as a baseline for taking the exam

what YOU (emphasis) have to do between the end of the course and the exam dates is study the ITIL books (v2 - Service Support (the Blue Book) and Service Delivery (the Red Book), study the material inside
be able to write in your own words about the material using the sample questions your instructors provided you during the course. They would have given you authorized sample questions that were used on previous exams

As to the Case Study. It is pointless to study March's CS as the exam has already been held. This CS will go back into the package of the CS studies used as for the upcoming exams

Instead study ITIL, the 10 disciplines, 1 function and the sample questions / exercises etc

If / When you take the Manager's exam, you have to rely on your own knowledge about ITIL and be able to write down specific answers to specific questions. While there are only 5 questions on each day, each question may have up to 3 sub questions.

As you have only 36 minutes (at the max ) per question - for a total of 3 hours. You have to formulate your answer quickly and write it down

You cant phone a friend, ask the audience (forum) or go 50/50.

The Exam tests you in a crucible to see if you meet the standard set for the Manager's Certificate.

This is why it is so highly regarded. This is why it is so highly sought after. This is why current holders - myself, Diarmid, etc - have no problem helping you find the answer but not give the answer.

It is NOT Moral nor Idealism

It is Professional Ethics

I am an IT Professional. I have standards and a code of conduct in the way I do my job.

If you are not willing to to adhere to the basic concepts such as ethics, code of conduct about

learning, gaining knowledge and paying your dues

I think - in my not so humble - arrogant, pedantic, anal retentive - opinion, you should find a career that has not code of conducts or ethics or standards.

Like sales or marketing or advertising.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....having said all that when you're studying in isolation it is reassuring to know that others are reading the same things into the case study as yourself.

He wouldn't be taking the exams if he hadn't done the course.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris

Since you take the exam in isolation - you and only you sit and write the exam.

As for whether he took the 10 day course, I am having issues on whether he did or not

If he had taken the 10 day course or even one of them, he would have a lot of information from his course / instructors.

Considering the cost of the course and the fact that there are 2 instructors (for approved courses), there should have been a lot of handouts etc in the class

Since he is focusing on a CS for a previous exam - which will not be used in the next exam, I find it hard to believe he has done the course since he is concentrating on specious data.

He should be concentrating on the ITIL blue and red books, the information the instructors etc so that he KNOWS the information so well that it takes no time in answering the questions

rather than trying to 'shortcut' by memorizing a useless case study or using a useless case study to try to get a leg up on the exam

The exam is hard enough when you spend 2 -3 hours a night studying before the exam - studying your own notes, the course work, the handouts etc etc - which were given to you by your instructors without adding useless details like a case study

When I received the CS, I just read it and filed it away.

I then analysed the CS to determine which ITIL discplines were defined int her CS and not. I then tried to formulate answers & questions that could be asked from the CS - using what disciplines were discussed, inferred or what ever.

Funny thing. None of the questions on the real exam matched the questions I though they would ask. on each day

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if he is having issues about the material

he should contact his instructors

BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING

You have to take the course first before you can be accepted onto the exam.

You're suggesting that everyone should study the same as you when clearly everyone works in different ways. I reckon I did something similar to you and probably put in the same amount of effort. It was gruelling and I found the whole process very difficult but my results reflected the effort.

When you're spending so much time engrossed in what you're doing it doesn't hurt to have someone to bounce things off.....if this not what Walid and the OP are looking to do?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris

Dont know if Walid is struggling with studying for the exam

The only things he has done

a weak attempt at searching this site. Could not find any of the posts regarding the managers' exam .

Not difficult when the subject line says managers exam and help

the only other thing he has done is inquire about the Case study for the exam that was held in march

The exam schedule is JAN/ APR/ JUL/OCT for UK

the case study - while useful to a small degree - really should not be the primary piece of work to use to study for the exam

Walid:
If you are having issues with how to study / what to study etc ; ask
If you want shortcuts / cheats/ hints to help you study: dont
if you want us to provide you with answers :dont
if you want us to help you write your answers to questions: ask

As Boris said, the way I studied may not work for you; but, ultimately when you sit the exam only you are sitting the exam and only your work is going to be evaluated by grader / scorer who are most likely more pedantic and anal than I am. LIZ: Dont confirm nor deny. (Grin)

Group study helps - but the study group / forum should be feedback oriented for all . Not one person providing the answers and all other nod their head.. that is teaching and not group study

If you are slated for the exam in Apr 2009 good luck..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: