Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: E40Y
New Today: 35
New Yesterday: 87
Overall: 139301

People Online:
Visitors: 67
Members: 2
Total: 69 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Just passed ITIL V3 Foundation with 97% (Self Study)...Next?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just passed ITIL V3 Foundation with 97% (Self Study)...Next?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbekhar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Just passed ITIL V3 Foundation with 97% (Self Study)...Next? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
I just completed the V3 Foundation exam today and guess one answer went wrong...

All i did was self study, but gone thru good material. Stephen Bejada's book is the best bet and it contains what exactly you need for the exam! Pocket guide from itSMF is another one i read thru.

Of course i have 11 years of experience in IT (10 years of it with service based company), so, that played a big role in understanding the concepts easily and quickly.

If anyone needs any specific help with self study, i would be glad to offer help.

Liz, John (UKVIKING)...Any suggestions on what could be my next steps in my ITIL journey?

I am more inclined towards doing V3 exams only. Can you please tell me criteria and preparation methds for the "Service Lifecycle Modules" and "Service Capability Modules".

BTW, i am from Hyderabad, India...

Your help would be appreciated!
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd try.

Unlike the foundation exam, you need to attend the intermediate courses before you are approved for taking the specific exam.

There are 7 variations to choice from on your way to the ITIL-Expert status . Depending on your focus and/or occupation the intermediate streams differ. The Lifecycle modules are more for consultants and people who need to understand the lifecycle stages and their dependencies. The capability modules go more into detail of the processes themself and are more adequate for practioners. Out of my experience the capability exams are tougher than the lifecycle exams.

I can`t compare the ITIL v2 and v3 qualification schemes, but the v3 is designed so that practioners can take the courses they need for doing their job. I`m guessing the APMG is expecting that only a handfull of people will actually be going for the ITIL-Expert status.

The following link is to the official ITIL credit profiler. It helps to show which variation will fit to your already achieved credits. (.itil-officialsite.com/itilmapping/v2/map.asp)

The ITIL-Master is planned to come, but as I`ve heard they also had something simulare in v2 but never implemented it
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ups .. it helps if you can count. It`s 6 variations and not 7 as it was last year.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aucade wrote:
ups .. it helps if you can count. It`s 6 variations and not 7 as it was last year.

Not sure what is meant by that - there are 9 intermediate courses - you need to amass enough points to sit the Managing across the Lifecycle course which gets you ITIL Expert status. The Advanced level is still under development
I personally prefer the Capability courses.

NB all of these require an accredited course (classroom or e-learning), and cannot be done just self-study
kbekhar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you aucade and Liz.

I enquired with HP education services here and found out that they are not offering V3 stream.

They advised me to take up V2 managers and then V2-V3 managers' brigde. However, their prices are astronomically high and i know my company won't sponsor!

Liz,
You mentioned about e-Learing. Can you please recommed any sites/companies? I understand it is better to do in a class room but if e-Learning is significantly inexpensive compared to what i heard from HP, at least i can try one paper and see if it really makes sense to do that way.

Also i wanted to ask you, did OGC/APMG published any last date to the exams of V2? I understand the certificate itself won't exprire, but when would be the last date someone can take V2 exams?
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their has been no date announced yet, and there has to be 6 months notice, but I think they are hoping to do that soon. People who failed one paper will be able to continue to sit resits for a time after that.
V2 Managers and then bridge actually works out cheaper than the other route, but the cost is more spread out.
E-learning is a possibility, and this is a route that I am developing as a training company myself, but the exams will have to be able to be sat on-line for this to work well, and that has not happened yet.Try googling itil intermediate and see what you find. I would say that you want courses that are not just CD based, but allow tutor interaction, marked assignments etc.
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LizGallacher

Just collecting the credits, does`nt mean you can automatically go for MATL. You can go for a whole module or do a combination of the lifecycle and capability modules, but they have to fit. That`s what I meant with 6 variations and that`s where the credit profiler comes in handy.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the profiler is only guidance! There are a number of possible variations
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LizGallacher

Of course it`s only guidance, but if you take a variation which is not one of the 6 combinations, then you`ll end up not being able to take the MATL exam. It happened to me. Check out the available combinations when you start with the ST course. I ended up with a course where the credits did`nt could.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a director of an accredited training organisation, who receives the briefings from ISEB (which originate from the Qualifications board) I know that the profiler is guidance only. Some Training Organisations are giving their students incorrect information.
As the many of the exams have only been released a short while, very few people are at a stage to even consider the Managing Across the Lifecycle course. I have only heard of tutors sitting this at the moment, not real students. To fit in enough courses between January and early April to get to 22 points would be very hard. I myself have passed 7 of the 9 Intermediates, but only because I am a tutor, and do not have to attend a course.
I would be interested in what combination you were told was not allowed, and was it an Examination Institute which told you, or a training company?
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the records. I did`nt start off taking the ITIL courses with the intension of qualifying for the ITIL-Expert status. The understanding of the content was more important. My goals changed after I managed the first 3 exams, which ended up being a mistake because the following 2 exams I failed. Thank god I past the last exam, because I would have been way to demotivated to even bother retrying.

Try the combination ST and OSA. You`ll find that this combination does`nt work. The training company gave me the RCV course and exam for free, since they and the APMG gave me the wrong advice at the time. I`ve gone through the following courses since october 3 rd last year: ST, OSA, RCV, SOA, SD, SO, CSI and MATL. The SO, CSI and MATL where part of an 8 day intensive course. The SO was more or less for free, since I did`nt need the credits. BTW: The intensive course concept is the only way you can attend the MATL course without having the required credits. Worldwide there is only one accredited training company that offers this concept.

I still have 2 exams to redo and the MATL. I should have my expert status in July. All courses I attended had between 4 and 6 attendes. None of them where trainers.

Out of curiosity. Which training company to you belong to?
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my own Accredited Training Organisation. (Helix) I must say the idea of doing SO, CSI and MATL as part of an 8 day intensive course is dreadful! The required number of hours for these 3 are 72 contact hours and recommended 70 hours self-study. Why you would want to do a week of 10 hour study days, followed by 8 9-hour teaching days ( 8:00 to 17:00 not allowing for breaks of any sort ) and somehow squeeze in 4.5 hours of exams, I cannot imagine!
It seems designed for people who are "collecting" qualifications (why?) rather than gaining understanding. Of course, with the design of the exams, a pass does not indicate understanding or knowledge, just picking the "correct" options. As a tutor, I hold most of the qualifications, without attending courses.
I do not believe anyone has been or will be, or could be excluded from sitting MALC because of the balance of Intermediate qualifications they hold. Legally the scheme just says "balanced" and the guidance says it is guidance only, so APMG would leave themselves open to being sued on the question of what "balanced" means. Which is the ATO which offers this option?
rajankusa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Contact details.. Reply with quote

Sekhar,

Can I get in touch with you directly. Need some advice on self-study for foundation exam. What is your email id..or can you ping me at rajank_sg@yahoo.com.

Regards,
Rajan.K
OpsGuru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Liz and Team,

I would like to ITIL V3 SS, SOA and MALC. I life in Portland OR and trying to find out training institutes can train me on these. I did self-study for ITIL V3 F.

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Steve
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid that I do not know any Oregon-based Training companies. You should contact EXIN/Loyalist/ISEB/APMG and ask for a list of training providers. I see from googling ITIL Portland, that Portland State University is offering courses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: