Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RSnodgras
New Today: 36
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 148158

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 0
Total: 54

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Lifecycle exams - which one first and what order ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifecycle exams - which one first and what order ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OvOcO5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Lifecycle exams - which one first and what order ? Reply with quote

Good evening everyone,

Today I found out that I passed my ITIL foundation exam Laughing

The company I work for has purchased for me the OGC ITIL lifecycle publication Suite and I wish to take each course and exam respectivley.

My question is what lifecycle should I start off with and what order. I'd like to know through other peoples experiences what lifecycle they would suggest I go for first and why, to kick start my ITIL intermediate grade.

I'm also thinking of buying the OGC Key Element Guide to accompany the main books. Would anyone here recommend I do this too ?

Many thanks

Greg (aka Ovoco5)
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

you could start with the ones most relevant to your current work and experience, or you could start with the ones that you think will enlighten you in dark areas of mystery or you could start with the ones in the areas you want to expand into.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not forget the other Intermediate courses/exams - RCV,OSA,SOA and PPO. In my opinion they are more practical, and more enjoyable. The Lifecycle courses are the management aspects only, whereas the Capability ones are about the HOW? as well.
The Key guides are OK, good for Foundation or Managers bridge, but for the Intermediate, you will need the relevant book (and to have scanned/read it before the course!)
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LizGallacher

I`m sorry if I might seem anal, but ITIL does not say HOW you should do something, they only recommend WHAT should be taken into account. That was the general problem with the expression "Best Practices". People thought they did`nt have to think and adapt to the companies requirements and culture. The term "Good Practices" is fittng. Meaning that I take the "Good Practices" and adapt them to my companies "Best Practices".
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to argue, but whether it should or shouldn't ITIL V3 DOES tell people how to do things. Look at the Process flows in the books. One of my main criticisms of V3 is that it is far too prescriptive. So the Lifecycle course syllabi address management issues (why you should have availability management for example) , whilst the capability syllabi look at how you do it. The syllabus explicitly addresses "activities".
Also, I think the promotion of Good over Best Practice is spurious. People did NOT think that they didn't have to think and adapt to the companies requirements and culture! The opposite was true - by Best practice we knew that that was what the best, most succesful, flagship organisations did - so we adopted and adapted to fit our own organisation.
The term "Good Practices" is far too weak - and undemanding. Almost anything other than incompetence can be described as "Good Practice" and it actually means that striving to be better is not part of ITIL any more, despite having a whole book supposedly dedicated to just that.
OvOcO5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to have a framework to work from though isn't it ? - and to at least have exposure to what is the right(ish) things to do.

The stream I'm taking is the life cycle one. My books came through yesterday.

My first impression was how expensive they were for what are quite small books. Thank heavens my company paid for them! - I'm sure though I will get good use from all five issues.

Talking of which, what is the best from the five to start off from and why ?

Thanks

Greg aka Ovoco5
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@OvOcO5

Out of personal experience I`d start at the hub. The beginnig of all services "Service Strategy" then go on with Service Design, Service Transition, Service Operation and CSI. Since I did the opposite I found during the courses that there where always references to the above lifecycle stages which confused me more than helped putting the puzzle together.
OvOcO5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aucade,

That does sound "very" logical - so I'll start there.

Could you let me know what materials you used to take your service cycle exams.

Thanks

Greg
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I used all 5 core publications because each intermediate lifecycle course is based on the specific book in that lifecycle stage. For the managing across the lifecycle course I used the core books "Service Strategy" and "CSI", the "Official Introduction to the ITIL Service Lifecycle" from the OGC and "Frameworks for IT Management" from the ITSM Library.

Steve
OvOcO5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use any mock exams materials?

I'm interested in getting a feel for what question/scenario's/format the questions will be in.

Thanks

Greg
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I had 2 example exams from the APMG for every course I attended. I`d reccommend to use them only as practice but don`t expect them to be like the real exams.

Steve
OvOcO5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With experience from the foundation exam I found the mocks were nothing like the real thing. But it did help me get into the mindset.

Once I've read the book, I'd like to try a mock or two. Are the APMG mocks availble on PDF ?

Greg
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trainer had them in pdf from the APMG, but we course attendants only got them in print.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: