Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KDelany
New Today: 75
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 142147

People Online:
Visitors: 48
Members: 1
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem Coordinator reviewing incidents
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Coordinator reviewing incidents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dchell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Problem Coordinator reviewing incidents Reply with quote

I know the answer is "it depends" but is there a good practice around the frequency an Incident Coordinator will reviewed Closed Incidents? Our group is just beginning to use Problem, they never used it before or used Change Request as a problem. So the number of problem tickets will more than likely be minimal at first. i'm just trying to set the expectation as many of the coordinators are functioning with multiple ITIL roles. Thx
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dchell,

Best practice in this area is quite obvious.

The frequency is determined by the cost against benefit with an eye to risk. These are measures that can only be determined within an organization and must be governed by policy within that organization.

I have been able to say that without fully understanding your question.
- What is the purpose of this review?
- How does the number of problem tickets affect your need to review incidents?
- What do you mean by "used Change Request as a problem"?
- Are your Incident Co-ordinators being asked to perform a Problem Management role?

Assuming you are talking about pro-actively watching incidents to look for signs of problems, then I would have thought that you do it all the time.

If you are talking about reviewing incident management to ensure that there is consistency in things like categorization., hen I would think you review it something like every week if it is a new system and drop it to longer time periods as it beds in and matures.

I'd better stop this rambling because I'm still not quite sure what you are asking. Sorry.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
dchell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically - I just want to know how often various Problem Coordinators check Closed Incidents to determine if they need to create a problem. That's all
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dchell wrote:
basically - I just want to know how often various Problem Coordinators check Closed Incidents to determine if they need to create a problem. That's all

[Sorry, I can't resist this.

You asked for best practice and now you want what people really do? Smile
]

I would have thought best practice was to do it all the time. If you want to nip problems in the bud, you have to get at them while they are fresh. Why would you not look every day? - apart from you cannot afford the resource and you don't expect a useful return from the activity?

On the other hand, if all you are doing is trend analysis, then you need to step back a bit so that you do not confuse a glitch with a trend.

now as to the value of advice you get concerning what other people do:

If someone says they do it once a month and it's fine, don't forget to check that their services have very much the same characteristics as yours and that their customers have very similar priorities to yours.

The same goes for anyone who claims they do it daily, weekly, annually or any time they have a free moment.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
dchell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wink I forgot that best practice is not what people do. haha
I'm recommending they check for the first month - every week and see how it goes from there. This is a new process for them - so want to be sure they are following it.

appreciate your feedback
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: