Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DTSH
New Today: 22
New Yesterday: 151
Overall: 130917

People Online:
Visitors: 81
Members: 6
Total: 87 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident management KPIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident management KPIs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Incident management KPIs Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just got to do a little bit of Incident Management. Got to set up the KPIs for the Incident Management team. I have got some like:
1. Average time spent on the crisis calls.
2. MTTR for degraded service and MTTR for failed service (outage)
3. % of incidents resolved in X hours etc.

the above are further sub-categorized. Do we have any known IM KPIs? What are the best KPIs we know and follow? By the way, what happened to the IM forum. I returned after months looking for UKViking and others

rgds
Viv
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: IM KPIs Reply with quote

No replies yet. Sorry, I meant UKViking, Boris bear, Liz and others.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am rather curious where you were looking for me ?

I am here
I was there but I can back
I have been over there and near that but I am always here

Did you look High and low ?

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got answers for all and you know it and lament it at times. Newbies look at you for the best practices in IT and sarcasm. I didn't look high and low, up and down. You are tempted to reply to anything and everything. 7:00 PM in India and weekend draws me closer to the bar. Help me some known best practices please as your weekend is 5 hours away
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I come under "others"?

If not, do not read any further.

Viv,

you have asked about Incident Management KPIs in the Problem Management sub-forum. So you are probably lucky to find anyone Smile ( never mind the Viking who is notoriously poor at geography Smile )

In the Incident Management sub-forum there are several relevant threads:
- System Monitoring KPI's (in which I wax lyrical - or something)
- Best Practice for the KPI of decrease ticket volume
- Service Desk KPI's in the ITIL environment, help needed.
- User Administration KPI's

And I expect there are several more.

Reading all the threads in Incident Management would help also, since KPIs are about what is important to a service and many threads are raised on issues deemed important by forum members.

In the end, whatever ideas you get here, you need to determine what is important in your own service(s) and derive KPIs from that. what is important should be highlighted in statements of objectives, policies and strategies as well as in your documented procedures.

It is my view that KPIs are difficult enough if you get them right, that you do not want to just layer in some generic stuff that others use. One of the reasons is that a strong focus on specific measures will always skew behaviour and the less relevant the measures you use the more unbalanced your behaviour will become. I believe Dilbert had something to say on that subject a while back.

PS for John

I hear Mack the Knife is also looking for you.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Diarmid for your reply. You definitely come 'first among others'. I meant Viking as he is the quintissential replier to whatever. He also sarcastically rubisshes certain question in the most acceptable way bringing behaviour change to the inquisitive.

I posted my question in the Problem management forum as I didn't see the Incident management forum at all. I thought decreasing ticket volume is essentially problem management function and monitoring service availability is availability management function. I am looking for more KPIs for the IM, like duration of crisis call, average time taken to provide workaround etc, Any ideas where is Incident Management forum is hidden?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viv121 wrote:
I thought decreasing ticket volume is essentially problem management function and monitoring service availability is availability management function.

Availability (or Operational) - yes. I just saw the word KPI and didn't stop to think. Well, it is in the Service Desk thread.

Reducing ticket volumes - you will see what I think on this subject now that I have directed you correctly to the sub-forum (see below).

viv121 wrote:
Any ideas where is Incident Management forum is hidden?

Try Service Desk. IM is included there. I wasn't thinking with my eyes when I spoke.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: