Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JVarley
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 139768

People Online:
Visitors: 64
Members: 1
Total: 65 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem Fix timescales
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Fix timescales
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakeyguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Problem Fix timescales Reply with quote

Hello everyone!!

I am looking for examples of Problem ticket fix timescales. Does anyone have information that they would like to share??

Thanks
Shakeyguy
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem management is NOT about fixing something. That is Incident Management

problem mgmt is abotu finding out why. Sometimes this can take hours, days, weeks/

There should not be a break fix sla or ola attached to problem mgmt

it is pointless

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
PEISunshine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, setting expectations for fixing Problems within a preset amount of time is setting yourself up for failure. There will be a percentage of your problem records that don't get closed for months and years. The reason being that it doesn't always make good business sense to spend the time and money on a Problem that has a minimal impact on your customers. For example, spending 2 million on a Problem that is only impacting a handful of users and not to the point where SLAs are in jeopardy, may not be the right thing to do for the business or the customer.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run an SLA against Service Calls and Incidents but not problems.

I would use problem management to help identify the time a service/ci was unavailable and feed that into availability management / Service Level Management and track the mean / average time of problems before they are resolved (resolved=workaround in place). This gives a picture of how long it takes on average to get a workaroud in place. Again I would not have an SLA on this but use it a benchmark.

A problem can be in a resolved state for a long time before a solution is put in place when the problem can then be closed.
shakeyguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have suggestions on what to measure to provide good control over the problem management process?

ex. ensure that the problems are actively being worked on if they are not in a stalled status.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A correction on my last post. I would run an SLa against a problem from the time it was opened to the time that a workaround was put in place or an immediate solution. From the time the problem is in any "open" status tot he time it is set to "Resolved" status is open for SLA measurement to ensure that a workaround is put in place at the least to assist incident management.
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always lots of suggestions on what to change to close an identified problem, mostly involving work by 'someone else'......
I would ask that any suggestions be achievable within 3 months. or 6. by quarters, anyway. That can sometimes help get past well-meaning but mostly useless suggestions. It can be useful for reports, too.
Why 3 months? Seemed to be acceptable to programmers who have to examine the code, design the changes, test, test, test, schedule the changes, implement the changes and update the documentation (not necessarily in that order).
If I wanted a job where I would make recommendations, and then came around every week asking 'are you done yet?', I would have become a Project manager, not a Problem manager (tongue in cheek, y'all!)
/Sharon
jmc724

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, once a possible fix has been identified it needs to be resolved asap. Since PM could coordinate root causes of known issues and maintains a known issue DB, then its their jobs to work with the different teams for find what is the issue and how soon it can be resolved. Most of this is captured by a problem mgmt charter which would be similar to a project management schedule. Again you dont want to have an issue lingering for a very long time as to it creates a nuisance and hindrance to end users more so than you think and in many organizations these problem tickets are highly visible.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

"Well, once a possible fix has been identified it needs to be resolved asap"

Quite right. But this does nto necessarliy mean that a permanent solution has been found. Depending on the type of org you could be waiting months or longer to be able to get the solution identified, developed, tested and finally into prod. I know as I was PM for one suck org who used release cycles to get in permanent solutions for problems that kept being "resolved" with workarounds and sticky plasters. It actually worked but meant a build up of problems over the year(s).
jmc724

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

What makes the resolution to the problem different than a software defect/project that will be put in prod that requires immediate implementation via an emer?
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I am saying. In one particular org there was no immediate emergency solution implemented. Just workaround after workoround. While the workarounds "resolved" the problem they were not the "Solution" as they were always temporary "fixes".

The solutions were implemented months(or longer) down the line. Their business accepted this (mayhem) due to the way that any solutions would affect the code that developers were using to develop more applications and functionality. So in effect we were locked out of making permament changes to implement permanent solutions until such time as we got the solution into a release program and it got implemented.

This may not be a so typical situation.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...btw, I don't get emailed when updates are made to posts that I contribute to. Is this feature ment to work. Does it work for you?
jmc724

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, I call those temp solutions 'Bandaiding.'
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry. We are not funding any musical groups at this time.
.............fdl...............

That aside,

What PM statistics should look like is something like the following

The PM team should determine whether the root cause is in the company end or the vendor end.

If the solution for the problem is

Problem: Blue Screen Days every 3 days on all Microsoft Windows NT 3.52 servers
Solution: 1 - Upgrade to next release
constraint: internal application code not supported in NT 4.0, 2000, 2003

This should what shoudl be reported on by PM

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
mitter
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING

what activities would you monitor to ensure that the process is operating effeciently?

ex. Problem ticket has been opened for a long time with no recent information or updates. Do you not want to set targets for escalation purposes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: