Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: BriannPost
New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 106
Overall: 149886

People Online:
Visitors: 39
Members: 3
Total: 42 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident to Problem Decision Point
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident to Problem Decision Point

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PTrenkner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Incident to Problem Decision Point Reply with quote

Hi Team, as I am new to this forum please be gentile.

My question is from an ITIL perspective when should an incident ticket become a problem ticket? For an outage and restoration, I expect the problem ticket and process follows serially. What about situations where the business sponsor has accepted that a function is now performing poorly and the improvement may require an enhancement activity? The inital incident behavior is still present, and a change to the behavior may require a sponsored change.

Secondly for those of you who have resources that are dedicated to incident and post incident activities, is there a rule of thumb for how long the incident team will hold the incident/problem ticket prior to escalating it to the post incident team?

And finally, I am interested in statistics on how frequently root cause is discovered relative to the number of incidents? Perhaps high severity/impact incidents have a higher % root cause found? Are there any published studies on this as I have been unsuccessful in finding them.

The benefit of your collective experience is appreciated... PT
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTrenkner,

I had better answer this before John sees it.

This topic has already been the subject of much deliberation on the forum. Please search for other relevant threads.

The last time I discussed this I pointed out that an incident ticket never becomes a problem ticket. And I mean never.

What is a post incident team? The only thing it could do is perform the incident review function since that is all that is left post- incident.

The statistic you ask for would be of absolutely no value to you even if it could be produced. This is partly because all such figures are meaningless in any context other than their own, and totally because there is no relationship between the number of incidents and the number of problems (which would generate root cause analysis).

There is no practical way to make a useful statistical survey of the behaviour of IT Service Management systems because there is no practical way of determining whether one company's definitions match any other company's.

But even if you did get such figures, they would not help unless you could confidently place your own organization as behaving exactly at the average of all the companies surveyed.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid

What is wrong ... You think I would attack such a well formed question ? me .... nah ? What kind of person do you think I am ?

Well we do know the answer do not we ?

PT..

I can only back up what Diarmid said

An incident does not become a problem

An incident ticket may become the impetus to generate a problem ticket if the PM org determines the criteria has been met

The incident will be dealt with in accordnance with its processes. Once service has been restored, techincally and ITIL-wise, the incident itself is closed.. Post incident processes aside that is.
If there is cause for a PM ticket to raise, then all of the work should relate directly to the PM ticket and indirectly to the incident ticket(s)

while separately the problem ticket will be dealt with as per its processes

Incidents dont look for root cause specifically... the resolution is to restore service as soon as possible

Of course... any microsoft o/s based incidents are usually resolved via a reboot - which restores the service but may clear the reason...

So incidents do not really give an insight into the R.C. But it also depends on the type of incident

system and application incidents are different than say network or telco incidents... the network/telco incidents have usually real easy root causes that are found / identified while trying to restore service

fibre cuts, etc are usually pretty easy to declare as a Root cause.. no real need for PM

as for PM statistics, it depends on what type of problems you are dealing with

system - h/w, o/s - are pretty straight forwars
applications and services are not

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Diarmid

What is wrong ... You think I would attack such a well formed question ? me .... nah ? What kind of person do you think I am ?

John,

you seem to be feeling guilty or something. There must be more than one John on this forum. Why take it personal like? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PT,

if your software management tool converts incidents into problems, then sack it immediately. Life is hard enough.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope

Dont feel guilty. I am guilt free. I just resembled that remark

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you suggesting that I was dissembling?

I've done disassembling in my time, but not the other. At least I don't think so.
William Penn 1644-1718
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Incident to Problem Decision Point Reply with quote

PTrenkner wrote:

And finally, I am interested in statistics on how frequently root cause is discovered relative to the number of incidents? Perhaps high severity/impact incidents have a higher % root cause found? Are there any published studies on this as I have been unsuccessful in finding them.... PT

Let me try this one. As Problem Analyst, I focused on high severity incidents (probably because I couldn't even get a raised eyebrow in response to anything lower). Even one Sev 1 incident can indicate a unique problem, so number of root causes-to-incidents is irrelevant.
Instead of "finding root cause", my goal was to identify "something" in the infrastructure that could be changed to eliminate, prevent or mitigate future re-occurrence of the problem. That said, I found that around 5-10% of Problems had No Idea. I used a status of "Unknown" or "Watch for it" on them, and after 3 -6 months, very few of those had more incidents, and the problems were changed to status "Cancelled". That way, if they ever did reappear, they were still in the problem log.
For metrics/progress, try to improve percentages. Good luck!
/Sharon in Sask
PTrenkner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Incident ==> Problem Reply with quote

Oh wise ones...

Thank you for your feedback. It is always better to learn from others scars than to create my own. John I like your style. Noone pays attention to Obberman only because he has news, it is his delivery that makes the news interesting.

Thanks again... PaulT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: