Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RChisolm
New Today: 48
New Yesterday: 66
Overall: 142267

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 0
Total: 55

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident and support group role
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident and support group role

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guruvn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Incident and support group role Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm newbie in ITIL. I'm having a confusion about the Incident and the support group role. Please, help me.
The questions is: are the Incident analyst groupp and the level 2 support group the same one?

Many thanks.
nisarg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Guruvn,

The basic diffrence is Incident Management is a process in itself and 2nd level support is a function.

Incident analyst/ Incident manager primarily needs to judge/analyse an incident and accordingly assign the Incident to specific support teams and is accountable for the resolution of the incident...whereas the support team is responsible to either investigate or provide a solution to that Incident andsend it back to the IM.

So idealy an Incident managers role is completely diffrent than of a second level support , however depending on the size and capacity of an organization a specific second level support can also take up the role of an Incident Manager

Not sure if this clarified your query, however I will strongly reccommend you to go through the ITIL books for a better understanding
guruvn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear nisarg,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm studying HP Service Manager tool. HP also provides best pratices of ITIL processes for using this tool.
In the Incident Management process, HP recommends using 3 roles for this one, these are: Incident Manager, Inciden Coordinator, Incident Analyst. For the first 2 roles, I can understand them. But the last one, I have the confusion that I mentioned in my previous post.

Many thanks.
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nisarg wrote:
The basic diffrence is Incident Management is a process in itself and 2nd level support is a function.

Not even close. Nisarg, I will strongly reccommend you to go through the ITIL books for a better understanding.
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, Guruvn, 2nd-level support personnel wear the Incident Management "hat" while they are working on incidents. They follow the same process as the Service Desk analysts do when the SDAs are working on incidents. It's generally a good practice that the 2nd- or 3rd-level support personnel don't perform the closure procedures but it's not forbidden.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: