Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: P8873
New Today: 54
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 140028

People Online:
Visitors: 67
Members: 0
Total: 67

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident resolution question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident resolution question

View previous topic :: View next topic  

My organisation considers that an incident is resolved
as soon as the fix is delivered?
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
only once the fix is confirmed as successful?
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
other?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Peana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Incident resolution question Reply with quote

Hi,

In my organisation we try to generally follow the principle of not resolving an incident until resolution has been confirmed e.g. it remains open until the user confirms that the fix applied was successful. However, most of the third parties we deal with will resolve an incident as soon as they have delivered a fix - if necessary the call will be reopened. I therefore wondered how most other organisations operate?

The business like our current approach, but I feel we may not be doing ourselves any favours.

I've tried to add a poll - not done this before, so apologies if it is wrong! I'd be interested to find out how other companies deal with this.
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peana,

In my opinion It's better to confirm with the customer before closing the ticket. As the solution you may provide might not fix the issue and that can cause the user to call over and over again. For example a customer calls in several times for the same issue. Where every time one of the staff members provides a different solution assuming that it will fix the issue but it doesnt. Put your self in that user shoes, you wouldnt be happy about the service.

Why let the user call in many times while you can prevent this, by asking a small question that well deliver end user satisfaction.

Regards,

A

Last edited by thechosenone69 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peana,

thechosenone69 is perfectly correct. Pay attention to the distinction between the term "resolved" and the term "closed"

You should never close an incident until resolution has been confirmed and this will often, but possibly not always, require direct consultation with the user(s) involved.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Peana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

I agree that it is much better for customer satisfaction to confirm resolution. I think we might need to persuade our third parties to see things in the same way!

Good point about resolved and closed - I've tried to explain to colleagues that there is a difference on many occassions, but it is still a cause of confusion for some. Although, I must admit that I find myself saying closed sometimes when I mean resolved.

Thanks again.
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem, I would also like to suggest suggest that when dealing with 3rd party suppliers, let them adhere to your own company policies not necessarly to just resolving incidents. It can be for Changes, releases, adding new assets etc.. this will make your life easier Smile

Regards,

A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: