Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TPethebri
New Today: 23
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 139781

People Online:
Visitors: 68
Members: 2
Total: 70 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Collision Detection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collision Detection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillSampsonChgMgmt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Collision Detection Reply with quote

We are moving from HP Service Desk over to HP Service Manager. In both worlds we did not have a fully capable CMDB which is why in 16 more months will change tools again however my question is, where I am seeking advice or suggestions is how are folks doing collision detection? With our new tool also comes a new life cycle of a change ticket. We have whats called the authorize phase which is just at the change level no config items where we are on the hook to do an initial collision detection with various service owners. Then the change gets Tasks assigned to them and so change mgmt gets the change back to schedule AND collision detect, at whats called the Coordination and Implementation phase. This is the phase when config items are also attached to the tasks/change and we are also on the hook to "proactively" collision detect BEFORE we schedule the tasks. I don't see an easy way without pulling each CI from tasks ready to be scheduled and manually searching on them through the tool or a report pulling in future changes. Any suggestions?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a simple phrase for what your ramblings are trying to ask

It is called a calendar

If you put the changes on a calendar and use things like

change windows
service hours

etc

you can clear up a lot of collission detection

If you are asking about specific issues with HP service desk and service managr - go away from here and get thee to a HP forum

this is an itil forum

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
BillSampsonChgMgmt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks smart a$$. That's mature. A simple "I have no Fing clue" would have sufficed especially if you are going to waste our time with a reply like that. People (I'm being kind) like you give a great site like this a bad name. I'm optimistic your the only cancer here.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should look at more of his posts before shooting off like that
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tks DYBeach

BillSampson

I frankly dont give a rat's hind quarter about your opinion. You come to the site with your first post moaning and complaining about the tools that your company is using - Hewlett packard products

Hopefully you realize that this site is NOT about specific tools - HP, etc - but about ITIL - its use, implementation and the interesting issues that show up

Your company has an issue with the way your tool implements its interpretation of ITIL.

Terminologies like collision detection can be found in thing like Internet Protocal, Token Ring and other Network data traffic. It has no place in ITIL.

Conflicts for requested changes always occurs - It is up to the role of the Change Manager to manage the flow of changes coming in and use the Change Advisory Board concept appropriately

The use of classifying and prioritsing changes are part and parcel of the ITIL recommended best practices for the company change managment process that is implemented.

Any tool that is used should compliment the process and follow the company process.

The tool should not replace the roles and responsibilities of the Change Manager.

It is your responsibility as the Change Manager to manage, soort and solve 'collisions' or scheduling conflicts.

The CM should have the power and authority to solve this issues - as well as the cajones to make the hard decisions. If the CM does not have the ability and authority to stop or solve these isseus, the CM role is more of a clerical role rather than a managerial role - and it is not worth it

DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that scheduling, which is one of the functions of the CAB?
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYBeach

Yes, the role and function of the CAB can be to set the scheduled implementation date... However, the Change Manager as the chair of the CAB - is the ulimate arbiter

DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know, Lou. The question was directed at your buddy
PMI CAPM (R)

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh !

i forgot about him....

he has gone quiet you notice

DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably drafting an apology this very minute
PMI CAPM (R)

BillSampsonChgMgmt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ladies, didn't mean to disappoint as I stepped away for bit. I guess I don't have the free time as Sir Viking (my new pal) with 2k+ posts has but allow me to intervene on this long distance romance the two of you apparently have going on. This is what you want right, a reaction, a response because what else would you all do without one right so ok then...I understood that this is an ITIL forum however, my "hope" because I have had no such luck on the tool side that someone, somewhere who adopted this framework as we have and within their Change Mgmt org may also have some experience around collision(not the capability of the tool but the concept and philosophies). I don't know the volume you're accustom to in change but we have 6k plus a month in volume for a fortune 500 company. With that volume is the expectation of my Change group identifying any collisions on any config items along the way. So now, you have something to respond to. I'm sure I made your day, thanks for ALL your help. You taught me several valuable lessons.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

I have lots of issues about changes that conflict with each other.

I as the change manager resolve them via the Board and scheduling them in accordance with the tools that I have at the company I am at now

I did the same thing at the company i was before and the one before that and the one before that etc etc etc

I used the particular tool - HP, Remedy, Vantive, etc - schedule feature for change requests and moved things. If the tool allowed extract to CSV, I used MS Excel or MS Access to figure / fit in the scheduled events. As I deal with application, system and network changes - each with its own volume and unique flavors and I attempt to schedule the work accordingly with the help of the staff involved in the work.

What did you want us to tell you ?

That we had the same problem with HP ? If no one on a HP forum had issues, maybe the issue is not the tool, but the process and the people involved in the process

Do you have Change Implementation Windows, lead times for changes, major windows, minor windows
Does the tool / people / process (CAB ) classify change request so that only the important ones or those that have schedule conflict appear before the board or are highlighted in the tool scheduling list

Do you have a forward schedule of change
have you kept your users updated with the latest scheduled and availability.
Does your implementation team - internal, external - have resource scheduling and planning

Part of the work of planning the deployment must reside with the owner of the deployment - not the change manager. however, the owner must work with the change manager / change team to deal with conflicts

and I think the term collision detection is best for technical descriptions for communication.

Scheduling conflicts and constraints are what is happening to your company and its use of the HP tool set.

NOTE: We do have a collision between you and the board / forum. But hey that is half the fun.

NOTE 2: yes. I am rather active on this forum - and others. Your point ? I use something called... time management. I manage my time at work and at home.

and lastly....
Welcome to the Forum.
Don't leave. Stay ... You have the right attitude. Maybe the right altitude.

The role of GoG needs to passed to a new person or expanded to a collection of GoGs... I wonder what a group of GoGs are called ?

DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Collision Detection Reply with quote

BillSampsonChgMgmt wrote:
With our new tool also comes a new life cycle of a change ticket. We have whats called the authorize phase which is just at the change level no config items where we are on the hook to do an initial collision detection with various service owners.

OK, at this stage no CIs are identified, but presumably you have dates hence my girlfriend's comments.

Presumably you can also determine risk and priority.

Risk is defined as “uncertainty of outcome” whether positive opportunity or negative threat.

Risk analysis
- Understanding the negative threats and positive opportunities
- Understanding the impact if something happens (I)
- Understanding the probability (P)

Risk is a function (outcome) of I an P

Once you have analysed the risk, then you can do some risk management
and allocate appropriate risk catalysts i.e.
- Negative risk (threat): mitigation (prevent or reduce)
- Positive risk (opportunity) e.g new hardware and therefore increased capacity: enforcement, ie make it happen, increase its speed

Priority is a function of impact and urgency.
- Impact is the measure of the effect a change on business processes – how much pain are we going to feel if something is not available.
- Urgency – the measure of how long it will be until and incident or change has a significant impact on the business – what is the tolerance for delay, how long can we wait before allocating resources to deal with it.

Impact and urgency together are used to assign priority.

Priority is a category used to identify the relative importance of a change, i.e. which should we deal with first
Use priority to define required time for action to be taken before assigning, resolving, escalating etc.

So determining impact, urgency and consequently priority is like the triage process in a hospital. Deal with things that increase value and decrease pain first.

So, Bill, in cojunction with a calendar, if you tool doesn't pull in CI details at this stage of the RFC's life cycle, you can address the issues of risk and priority.

Hope this helps
PMI CAPM (R)

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

As you see we do answer the questions here - some times with answers that the individual may not like or care for

the issue for you as both DY and I see it - is NOT a tool issue but a process issue or as it appears - a lack of process.

The volume you indicated is roughly 20 - 30 per day of change requests on 30 day calendar
My concern / question for the volume is as follows

how are your changes classified

Do you separate the standard changes (ITIL classification) from the non standard changes - what % are standard changes

what are the types of changes in that 5k per month batch

Network ? Server Application patch / code fix ? Update ? System ?
Desktop ? Desktop applications and user ones ?

Sandys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING is one the of the ITIL gods on this site. Definitely not one you want to rub the wrong way by being snarky (where did that term come from???) without reason. You won’t find a better resource for “FREE” ITIL help than here.

Darn, what's this on my nose?

Sorry had to lighten the mood here. Wink

Unfortunately I’m not much help to you Bill since we use Remedy for Change Management and not HP Service Manager. Remedy does have a built in calendar that aides with collision detection although it’s a manual process. The calendar really needs to be more user customizable.

"Change Manager" - The person people love to hate!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: