Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ZOabVSrbvf
New Today: 30
New Yesterday: 76
Overall: 143368

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 1
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Do you lower severity after business hours, and raise again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you lower severity after business hours, and raise again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Do you lower severity after business hours, and raise again Reply with quote

Looking for best practice regarding the lowering of severity (priority) level during non-business hours and raising again during business hours ? OR do most folks leave it at whatever priority it was originally set at (thought process being the business impact is non-existent "after hours")
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaz,

If no one will be using the impaired service for 10 hours, your impact and urgency (and therefore priority) should reflect this. However, if the incident it isn't resolved within that 10-hour window, be prepared to explain the need for escalation.

When I retire, I'll get a split-shift contract job. I'll come in every morning and evening to refigure the priorities of all your open incidents. Rolling Eyes
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaz,

That depends on the Service Level Agreement that you have. What are the agreed support hours? response time? availabilty? etc..

For Example: We don't support one of our clients on weekends, so sometimes they try sending out E-mails to our support which we don't action even if its high impact, because in the SLA it is not listed in the Agreed support hours, and if you do it once for them they expect you to do it every time.

So please give some more information about your situation, if that doesnt answer your question.

Kind regards,
A
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmason wrote:
When I retire, I'll get a split-shift contract job. I'll come in every morning and evening to refigure the priorities of all your open incidents. Rolling Eyes

I'll do the lunch-time priority changes for you. Twisted Evil

Priorities inform scheduling. Re-prioritizing is something you do when other, more urgent requirements come along, irrespective of the time of day or night. Then you rework the schedule.

Yes, obviously, if no one is going to use the service for an hour or a night, then the requirement becomes to fix it before that time is up. To do that, you manage your schedule of activities and only fiddle with priorities as I said above. The kind of issues you need to keep in mind are:

1. how certain are you of achieving a solution within the time frame/
2. how certain are you that nothing else will crop up to interfere with your schedule?

"It will only take twenty minutes. I'll leave it until 07.00 hours" can suddenly not look good when you get dragged out for something much bigger at ten to seven.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: