Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MohichMof
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 74
Overall: 131847

People Online:
Visitors: 45
Members: 3
Total: 48 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Child Incident tickets and SLA reporting - advice needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Child Incident tickets and SLA reporting - advice needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stacey1840

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Child Incident tickets and SLA reporting - advice needed Reply with quote

New to Incident Management and need some advice on how others are handling this:
1. Do you report on SLA for Child Incident tickets or just the Parent?
2. If you report on Child Incidents, do you assign them to the support team or Service Desk? I see a lot of comments where companies are leaving Child Incident tickets assigned to Service Desk but wouldn't that be saying Service Desk is responsible for the SLA on all these tickets then? It would impact their first-level resolution rate stats also.
3. Our feelings are Child Incidents should never be resolved until service is restored via an acceptable work-around or fix. But we're getting push back from our support groups saying if an issue is identified in a Parent Incident ticket then we should be able to resolve the Child tickets and let the caller know they can reference the Parent ticket #. Again, is this falsely reporting X number of tickets were resolved faster than they actually were?

Thanks for any input! Smile
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacey,

not sure what your precise definition of "child incident" is, but there is another thread that discussed this subject at some length.

What you report in an SLA entirely depends on what you have agreed with the business.

When I see this question phrased in this way, I get concerned lest people are trying to design the content of an SLA and hand it to the business. This would be bad, even if the business seems to be happy with it or encouraging it, because you would not be matching service to business requirements.

If I make some assumptions about your question, I can say the following:

There is a difference between a service being up and running and everyone being able to access it. This is a normal source of "child incidents".

The trouble is that there may be special action required for some users beyond simply restoring the app on the server or the network node (whatever was behind the issue) and therefore you cannot assume that everyone has a restored service unless you check.

If your SLA is concerned with availability to individual users over and above the general availability of a service, then you will obviously report these against your SLA.

However, unless you mean something else by "child incidents", you will most likely be counting one incident as having occurred regardless how many people have reported/experienced its effects.

Thought for the day:
When a service goes down, the fact will be reported by some, but not all users affected. Those that do not raise a report ar just as important as those that do, but I have never seen a discussion on, for example, whether a "child incident" should be raised on their behalf. but some of them may experience difficulty after the incident s believed to be fixed. Consideration of this situation could enlighten the thinking on the overall subject.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Peana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I think I understand your question. My take on it is:
1. SLA covers all tickets regardless of whether they are parents or children
2. Whatever team is reponsible for the parent is also reponsible for the children & the ticket details should be updated and resolved at the same time as the parent.
3. I agree. It can only be resolved if there is a fix / workaround.
Hope this helps.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing to remember about Service Level/Availability Reporting is that you report on service downtime, not directly on Incident duration. This is just the input into your calculation, you then need a good CMS/CMDB to understand the impact of this on services. A single network outage could impact dozens of services, and personally I would not raise child records for each of these.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go along with Liz on this

If you have a server farm which supports 200+ applications, services and functions and the farm crashes for short duration of time say 10 minutes due to a power spike or some such...., you could raise 200+ incident child tickets at 1 - 3 minutes each... by which time the outage is over and it turns out to be a loose network connection and the services were not impacted.. just not available

or the NMS tool suffered a hit....

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: