Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Casas
New Today: 50
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 131810

People Online:
Visitors: 44
Members: 3
Total: 47 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITSM - Need Guidance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITSM - Need Guidance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubbuA
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: ITSM - Need Guidance Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am trying to draft down a career path for a fresher to join in ITSM and then move up the ladder.

Now if we see a support group - they will have aq clear cut career path to climb up the ladder...

like a L1, L2, L3 support
Then a technical Lead
Then a technical Manager
Then an Architect
etc

How does it work for ITSM - I am in need to draft a career path for a person in ITSM..but in general as ITSM and not a specific division as IT Service Operation or IT Change Management Or IT Demand Management

Say a fresher to be considered as

ITSM coordinator
Then moving up the ladder can be designated - ITSM Analyst
I get stuck from here: Logically it should flow to ITSM Manager
Then ITSM Process Owner
but what next - Straight to Service Delivery Manager?

I feel there is should be something in here or there should be something running parellel to ITSM Process Owner... say a role of ITSM Architect (who can be responsible for defining policy, or who could be considered an SME for ITSM implementation for all projects and be consulted or relied upon to seek best practically implementable solution)

May I request some help here in defining roles within ITSM (in generic manner) which will lead as a career path and some guidance on differentiating their responsibilities and key skills required for job.

Regards,
SubbuA
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst some combinations are likely to be more frequently followed than others, I doubt very much that it makes sense to sketch out a career path in these terms.

Certainly I have seen very diverse career moves within IT and the development/recognition of aptitudes combined with the opportunities that pop up at the right time have a lot to do\ with what happens.

Stepping back a bit, I'm not sure that there is much sense in trying for such a detailed mapping into the future because the future seems to change quite radically before you get there.

It might be more fruitful to just keep track of what sort of things you feel good at and interested in and take opportunities that arise in which you can exploit this. Some people believe they will always be technical while others believe they will certainly move to management roles and both cases a proportion of these are borne out in time. But I thought I would always be technical when I started and that just shows what I knew!

Even if you insist on establishing these detailed progressions, you really need to expand them somewhat. For example what about capacity and performance technical roles?

Finally, There is no need to perceive of a career in ITSM as being a sequence of management roles from start to finish. The move from a "technical stream" into a "management" role can occur at any level and can be hybrid through several levels. It is certainly hard to perform such roles without at least some technical background.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always stay away from being too technical and look at outsourcing companies - pre-sales, deal transition, sales.

go to the dark side...
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it feels like ITIL is the dark side

OGC, anyway Twisted Evil
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Service Delivery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: