Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Douglaspt
New Today: 7
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146220

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Query on ITIL where to place this hotfix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Query on ITIL where to place this hotfix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winmas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Query on ITIL where to place this hotfix Reply with quote

Im working for a MNC company which has branches all over asia, north america, i have a query, i need to know where to place this hotfix. This problem has to be resolved quickly it has come from the incident shall i place it inside the change manager? is that the best option any other options please let me know how to handle it.
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Winmas,

From what I understood from your query that you have a problem that has to be resolved quickly.

you need understand the following first:

identify the root cause(Problem Management)
is it business case to fix? yes/no (Problem Management)
does it require a change? yes/no

So winmas if the answer for my last question is yes then yes a change is required to fix the problem then you should raise an RFC and assign it to the Change management team, in your scenario you mentioned that it has to be resolved as quickly as possible then you need to classify what change process does your problem fall under?

is it a Basic Change or is it an Urgent Change?

what is the urgency? what is the impact? Is it an Emergency? Can you wait until you finish the Request for Change(test plan, impact. justification, benefits, costs, rollback etc..), get it approved then test it and implement the change? if the answer is no

Then you are talking about an Urgent Change process which requires an authorization from the Senior/higher management or stakeholders who are called EC(Emergency Commity) in ITIL terms. If they approve the change then you can quickly assesses impact resources and urgency, do some urgent testing then implement the change and afterward you need to ensure that your records like the RFC are brought up to date.

Last edited by thechosenone69 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALl

If this HotFix is a result of an incident - which may be - then the incident is the starting point

but TCO69 is correct

Also, winmas - hopefully this phrase is an mangling of the english language not an actual plan

[b]it has come from the incident shall i place it inside the change manager?[/b]

Cause if it does... I dont know a CM who would stand still for this (Grin)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your organization's procedures don't tell you how to resolve an incident and how to expedite a required change, thenI'm not sure it matters how you do it.

Or, to put it another way, what do your procedures say? What does your Incident Manager say? What does your Change Manager say? What does your IT Services [Delivery] Manager say?

We can make suggestions as to what would be a good process, as tco69 has, but you do have to follow your own organization's procedures to be effective.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
winmas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechosenone69 wrote:
Hi Winmas,

From what I understood from your query that you have a problem that has to be resolved quickly.

you need understand the following first:

identify the root cause(Problem Management)
is it business case to fix? yes/no (Problem Management)
does it require a change? yes/no

So winmas if the answer for my last question is yes then yes a change is required to fix the problem then you should raise an RFC and assign it to the Change management team, in your scenario you mentioned that it has to be resolved as quickly as possible then you need to classify what change process does your problem fall under?

is it a Basic Change or is it an Urgent Change?

what is the urgency? what is the impact? Is it an Emergency? Can you wait until you finish the Request for Change(test plan, impact. justification, benefits, costs, rollback etc..), get it approved then test it and implement the change? if the answer is no

Then you are talking about an Urgent Change process which requires an authorization from the Senior/higher management or stakeholders who are called EC(Emergency Commity) in ITIL terms. If they approve the change then you can quickly assesses impact resources and urgency, do some urgent testing then implement the change and afterward you need to ensure that your records like the RFC are brought up to date.

Hi thechosenone69 thanks for spending your valuable time to explain me in detailed manner about basic and urgent change.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winmas

While TCO69 did provide you with details about the difference in change request types, this information is readily available in the V2 and v3 ITIL Books about Change Management

You should, instead of depending on this forum and the users w/in, for answers to basic ITIL questions such as this use the ITIL Books as your source.

Spend the money and time to read the books and get trained beyond Foundation.

We will still answer this questions

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: