Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ZCardillo
New Today: 14
New Yesterday: 67
Overall: 148315

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 3
Total: 69 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - 'Operational CAB' meetings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Operational CAB' meetings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: 'Operational CAB' meetings Reply with quote

Several years ago when we introduced our change process, the concept of an 'Functional CAB' was added into our guiding principles doco. The idea is that the functional teams will meet on a regular basis to discuss the changes that impact their areas and provide any pre-approvals required by our change process. They would discuss the technical aspects of the work as well as having regular participation from the customer to ensure they too agree to the work, risk and scheduling. Upon the completion of the meeting, the changes would then come to the official CAB for the final approval to be implemented into the production environment.

Since this concept was introduced, we have undergone numerous organizational changes and many management changes. The new management is highly agitated at the number of CAB meetings that we have globally (one per region plus a global one). We have managed to combine some CAB meetings where feasable which seems to thus far be working fine. The functional CAB meetings however are the latest target and they are openly displeased with their existance.

I guess my question to everyone here is does your organization utilize a similar concept to our functional CAB meetings and if so, how are they organized and run? Are the inputs/outputs similar in concept to what I've described? I had yet another meeting to explain to my management this week for nearly 30 minutes that while this concept is not ITIL, it is still best practice and feel our organization has no authority to tell the ops teams they cannot meet to discuss changes and if we did; would be highly detrimental to the success of the process.

I'm open to all the feedback or ideas you guys have on how to work this one out.

Thanks!!!!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put it to mgmt this way

A) do they want to have major outages costing them money, time and reputation because the change requests that are to be implemented were not discussed at all by the Functional team

b) See A

Why are they so against CABs ?

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer to your question, John... because

a) they are presumably time consuming and take away from all that fun coding we could be doing

b) we know that the code we write or wires we hook up or whatever else will never break, so why bother? I mean, I installed that same server 20 times in the past, so what can possibly go wrong on the 21st try?

One thing I also noticed about "functional" CABs is that right questions are never asked unless a person with ITSM knowledge (or at least an inkling of such) is present. The silo culture and thinking only about MY areas is so so so hard to break through.
changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I always enjoy reading your responses. To answer your question, it's mostly because they see the meetings as a waste of time and what better way to free up time than to cut out meetings. This philosophy has lead us down the path of virtualizing several of the CAB meetings which does seem to work well. We still meet semi-regularly on a face to face basis but 95% of the CAB work is done via virtual methods. This has saved the participants a bit of time although it does put more on the change manager to get things ready and rolling.

Beyond this, I really have no idea why they are against the meetings. I can tell you that the directives are coming from those who have little to no ITSM/ITIL knowledge.

I'll try using your 'a' answer and see how that works out with them.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My workplace has had the opposite problem. There is a CAB for Infrastructure (aka Ops, Hardware) that until recently was what I like to call a Dead Zone.
It had become a technical forum, with a very low level of detail discussed. One result is that the people authorised to make the go / no-go decisions stopped attending. A meeting that should have lasted 30 minutes was dragging over an hour.

But regarding your issue, what if you called it a team meeting instead of a CAB?
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also ask about whether they want to pass or fail sox compliance

pull COSO or CoBIT requirements

changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
pull COSO or CoBIT requirements

It's interesting that you mention CoBIT as we are beginning the adoption of this as well. I'm not familiar with it but is there content within the methodology in reference to this topic?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoBIT's Objective specifics exactly what is needed for Change Management

If you go to the ISACA web site (and if you are a member) you can get the PDF for the comparison between CoBIT and ITIL.

I find it to be quite handy

changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip John. Unfortunately I'm unable to gain access to the document on their site without paying for membership. Do you know where I might access this or a similar doco elsewhere?
Anticlue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It sounds like your organization needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up. I'd add to the dialogue discussions about maturity and doing what is right for the customers.

As the organization increases in complexity from being the best at one service to several services. WIth complexity and variation, brittleness is introduced into your organization. How your organization acts in the future is the level of sophistication in place.

It sounds like your company has regressed or chooses to remain as cowboys. Often leaders in this position are a benevolent controller managing functional maintaining the lights applications. These individuals are definitely operationally focused

The discussion to be had is to bring the leadership up a level to organizers. Organizers are enterprise oriented, focused on "doing the right thing". These leaders are concerned about portfolio of applications and building upon the infrastructure. Here it is easier to see the need and value of the CAB.

Hope this helps,
Elyse
changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to EVERYONE for the excellent feedback on this topic. I hope you don't mind but I used little comments from each of you into my emails and conversations with management. After much debate (and lots of brow beating on my side) we were able to get them to agree to the need of these meetings. As a side affect, our group is accountable for the overall success of them but the important part is that they will move forward as an authorized piece of the process.

Again thank you as always for your feedback and guidance to help us towards our illusive maturity level Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: