Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Nugoaldotcom
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 145987

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 2
Total: 68 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - preapproved changes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

preapproved changes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
procman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: preapproved changes Reply with quote

Are preapproved Changes being used by anyone? and if so for what types of Change activities? ie regularly scheduled activities like security patching, vulnerability scanning etc.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of pre-approved changes as being activities involving changes that can be effectively controlled and expedited without recourse to the general change management process which involves a certain amount of investigation and assessment and requires a planning process before applying the changes.

These will be things for which you have comprehensive procedures in place that to describe the how and what and for whom and by whom and when and that ensure the change element is fully managed to conform to the policies and needs of your organization.

Logically they will be things that you do many times (else why go to the bother of developing bespoke procedures for them?) and that have well understood impacts and effects on the infrastructure, the services and the customers/users.

I don't think anyone should go about looking for candidates to set up as pre-approved changes, but rather that activities that meet the criteria should scream out to be handled in this way as part of service improvement.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Diarmid's

If there is a change that went to the board six times (say) in a month where the exact piece of work is done over and over etc
where the risk and impact are known
where the back out and back up plans are known
where there is a documented process procedures work instructions on what to do

then the board may decide... We are tired of seeing this one.. this is now a std change as long as everythign remains the same

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Murphysbone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar approach to others here, I work for a Global Mobile Comms company, approx 50% of all changes made are Standard or Pre Approved.

If it can be proven that a particular RFC has been applied on three previous occasions, has been incident free, does not cause a service outage, is considered low or no risk, and the deployment steps will always be the same. Then these can be submitted to the CAB for consideration. If approved, that chnage is then templated within the Service Management tool and can be then be selected and used via it's UID

Examples include...

Physical site surveys
Extension of DB file systems
creation of new filesystems
Security patches
Hot swap components
Maintenance work on resilient clusters (no critical systems)

Could go on as there are literally 1000's, We/I actually look for likely candidates as it saves the change and support teams significant resource overhead as it is the most efficient use of the actual change process. Allows us much more focus on Major changes.

Cheers.
procman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphysbone, you mention security patches as an example of an activity which might qualify as a preapproved Change. What about regularly run /automated vulnerability scans?

I am curious to know whether others would agree with the list provided by Murphysbone or have other examples. Our Change Management processes do not allow for preapproved Changes at this time and I am attempting to understand what is being done by other organizations regarding this issue. thanks
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

procman

a scan does not change anything

it is a operational task

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

procman wrote:
I am curious to know whether others would agree with the list provided by Murphysbone.

It would be hard to agree or disagree with the list without knowing his organization and what it does and how it does it etc.

Although you may find certain some pre-approved changes to be commonly identified across many organizations, it is absolutely the case that you have to consider your own circumstances first. If you try to shoehorn in a particular instance because it seems obvious and others do it then you could be piling up trouble for later.

Also, don't forget that the contributors to this site are self-selecting and so it is dangerous to make assumptions about how representative the responses are.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Murphysbone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Procman, The Company I work for has many defined pre approved changes, however as mentioned by Diarmid, they really must fit in with your own industry/change strategy/risk assesment.

I work in the mobile telecoms world so we do vast numbers of highly technical change, we therefore select as many low risk changes to be of Pre Approved status as we can. This is to see the wood for the trees sometimes.

If a PA change is subsequently found to be the cause of an incident, then that status is revoked pending further review.
procman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I think I have my answer. Preapproved Changes are allowed in most organizations however what and how they are implemented is organization specific based on individual requirement. The answer I was looking for is that the use of them is an option and there is no 'control' within ITIL which states that they can not be used if they are a fit for a particular situation.
procman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I think I have my answer. Preapproved Changes are allowed in most organizations however what and how they are implemented is organization specific based on individual requirement. The answer I was looking for is that the use of them is an option and there is no 'control' within ITIL which states that they can not be used if they are a fit for a particular situation.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

procman wrote:
Thank you all. I think I have my answer. Preapproved Changes are allowed in most organizations however what and how they are implemented is organization specific based on individual requirement.

That is a fair summary.

procman wrote:
The answer I was looking for is that the use of them is an option and there is no 'control' within ITIL which states that they can not be used if they are a fit for a particular situation.

There are no controls in ITIL and there are absolutely no prohibitions in ITIL. It is guidance. To paraphrase yourself, how service management is implemented is organization specific based on individual requirement; and that is what ITIL says. It never says that you need to do it this way or you are rubbish. It never says this way is best for you; it only says this way has been proved to work somewhere (and possibly lots of places).
William Penn 1644-1718
S_B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my first post didnít make it up.. oh well.. 2nd try.

I have a question! With your pre approved or standard changes, how do you link them to the original pre approved change?

Said changes are given Pre/Stnd approval, you still give them a change number (id, etc... whatever), they donít go to CAB, but still, Do you hunt down the original number, or just log and approve (cause as CM you know best) Wink
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_B
think templates.
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
S_B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm templates....

Do you still give it a unique id or just a flow on .1, .2, .3 + so on number.

Maybe cause i lock my templates i am causing myself heartache.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't give a generic answer, sorry. My guess is it would depend on the tool.
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: