Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MaluHari
New Today: 14
New Yesterday: 141
Overall: 131705

People Online:
Visitors: 63
Members: 2
Total: 65 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident Management Process Governance with a twist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident Management Process Governance with a twist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benson112
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Incident Management Process Governance with a twist Reply with quote

Hi All,

I need a fwe ideas here because im going mad.

I have been tasked with creating a process governance procedure for an Incident Management Process which has no SLA's, OLA's, KPI's or even targets. Impossible? I think so. It is not possible for me to create such things as this spreads across 20 different counties, which as you can imagine would take a very long time.

So my question is, what options do i have?

Thanks all
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benson....

If I understand correctly you have to create a governance procedure for managing the Incident Management process. In which case you need to define the objective, some guidelines for what the Incident Mgmt process should be doing (using ISO20k Part 1 as a guide is possible).....

Once you have the guidelines you can create a measurement of conformity. Based on that you can identify areas that need improvement & what needs to be done to improve, create a continual improvement plan, et voila.

Is that what you meant?
Benson112
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Tony...this is exactly my problem. Ive been given no idea on the goal of the procedure, just "Create on ASAP".

But your post has helped me alot...i just need to read up on ISO20k Smile

I think what you say is pretty much what they are after, how do we measure conformity, but i just dont know where to start!
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nearly christmas after all.....

Think people, documentation, tools, risk, etc & you can't go far wrong.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth looking at COBIT as well.

The essence of governance is to ensure that process conforms to organizational policies, legal requirements, and aligns with business objectives and strategy.

So perhaps your first task is to identify these. I guess it might be interesting to ask the high heid yins what their policies and requirements are in regard to the IT services because without clear answers you do not have a basis for performing governance.

Just to help muddy your waters, IT governance should be an integral part of governance in general and not some stand-alone bolt-on.

Sorry, I realise this may not help much just now.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also

Hire Diarmid

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't have SLA, OLA, etc... no process objectives... just create something, cut and paste from somewhere on the web. Won't matter either way cause they don't seem to know want anyway. Smile
Caperz
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday guys (that have been around here for a while),

How do we go about getting an Incident Management forum going so that posts like this can be added ?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the ITIL Service Desk section? I think bensonmum (sorry 112) was just half asleep when he posted this under problem.

Or do you mean something different?
William Penn 1644-1718
Benson112
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys all, im kind of with Timo here, i think they just want a tick in the box. But i dont like to produce rubbish thats got my name all over it.

From what i can gather, the main objective here is to beat up an out-sourcer if they dont follow our process.

Looks like ive got a bit of work on my hands hey!
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson112,

if you have outsourced from a position of weakness (in terms of process and control) then you are in severe danger of ending up in fights that won't help anyone and will harm your services. Especially as you have wide geographic spread.

With the best will in the world (and that's not so likely) the supplier will have to protect his position and his reputation from issues emanating from the weaknesses in your management system. As soon a something real goes wrong there is going to be a dispute about where the fault lies.

The only way to achieve your objective is to strengthen your processes, building governance controls into them at the same time. It will be best if you work in co-operation to co-ordinate with your supplier.
William Penn 1644-1718
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you could benefit from bringing Diarmid in as a consultant, & save yourself a great deal of time getting it right from the begining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: