Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ESeaborn
New Today: 40
New Yesterday: 44
Overall: 146550

People Online:
Visitors: 36
Members: 2
Total: 38 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CHG tool Migration - Project marketing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHG tool Migration - Project marketing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: CHG tool Migration - Project marketing Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

we are planning a project to migrate our old CHG tool to a new ITIL integrated framework suite.
Since the users are very reluctant about the process itself and of course towards the new tool I'm looking for a good marketing strategy I can address. Our senior management wants me to provide them with a plan with the goal to make the new process / tool as simple as possible. The vision is: keep it simple and easy.

Maybe you can help me a bit. What points need to be addressed in your eyes?
I'm thinking of:
- provide quick help sheets
- provide weekly user trainings and refresher courses etc.

Any ideas how I can handle this topic?

Cheers,
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about benefits of replacing the old tool with new? I mean if you (your management) have good reasons for doing so, can articulate it well and explain how end users' life will be better once the new tool is in place, then you shouldn't think of any complicated marketing techniques.

If the tool is replaced because somebody thinks that your company "need" an integrated solution because they were impressed by some vendor's demo, then I don't think there will be much success no matter how you sugar coat it.

So basically, understand why the tool is being changed, find way to articulate it in user friendly language, and communicate in the most appropriate way for your company.
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that most of the users hate the old tool. Our management has been convinced replacing the tool.
But from my experience from various projects in the past I doubt that there will be a firm buy-in from our management.
That means when the project kicks-off I will be on my own.
Therefore I'm looking for good ideas how to make this project a success by doing a good project marketing.
Any ideas what can be done to convince our user community? e.g. printing out help cards and things like that. There must be some ITIL tips how to handle reluctance in the organisation.

Cheers,
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyW

Who decided on the new tool ?

You need to

1 - write the propaganda about the new tool
2 - tell mgmt - your boss at least - that they need to support / sign off the propaganda before it will be distributed

# - before sign off, get key complainers (teh lead ones from each areas( together - get a listing of their complaints

use that list to be solved by the new tool (hopefully)

3 - after sign off get the same set and walk through the new tool - highlighting the solution thenew tool does for their complaints / issues

4 - get them to agree that the new tool is either better or less bad than the current one

5 - then the fun begins

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
The problem is that most of the users hate the old tool. Our management has been convinced replacing the tool.
But from my experience from various projects in the past I doubt that there will be a firm buy-in from our management.
That means when the project kicks-off I will be on my own.
Therefore I'm looking for good ideas how to make this project a success by doing a good project marketing.
Any ideas what can be done to convince our user community? e.g. printing out help cards and things like that. There must be some ITIL tips how to handle reluctance in the organisation.

Cheers,

So if the users hate the old tool than convincing them that the new one is better shouldn't be too hard, right? Like John said, record/gather the complaints and show how each one of them is remedied in the new tool.

For the management, if they have been convinced, as you state, then it's a matter of getting their time to do the propaganda. It isn't easy because they say that they support the effort as long as they don't have to do anything, but when it comes to doing their share they are nowhere to be found. That's when the things fall apart.

I don't know... sitting in a chair we all know when needs to be done but in practice things happen differently. You DO need to secure executive or senior management support. How - that will probably depend on your relationship with them as well as their personalities, work habits, professional traits etc...

I am having this same problem with every client I work with. It is always at the mid management level that the initiatives start but when it comes to sponsorship the execs are not there.

Sorry, long winded post with little to offer.
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
thanks for your help so far.
What I have done in the meanwhile:
I have identified 6 main stakeholder groups and interviewed each of them to record their major concerns as well as their major requirements.
Unfortunately we have huge concerns with one of our key stakeholders.
The old solution we have provided for them was 100% tailored to their needs and they have right now very little enthusiasm to switch to a new tool. No matter if this tool is able to cover their concerns. They came up with stupid things like: the look and feel is from the 80s and they do not want to learn the new functionality etc.

Any ideas how I can push this entire thing forward?

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: