Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: SSimoi
New Today: 50
New Yesterday: 62
Overall: 139378

People Online:
Visitors: 63
Members: 3
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - RFC and data changes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFC and data changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarajane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: RFC and data changes Reply with quote

I'm looking to understand how others handle requests to change data on a system. Should an RFC be opened? In most cases the data being changed varires from 5 to 10 records to thousands and the business owner is asking the Technology Department to process the updates systematically.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarajane,

please refer to the thread "How to handle database record changes?" down the list a bit.

Essentially, changing business data is the proper province of application processes, not service management. Since the business owns the data, the business must mange the changes even if technical people are involved in performing them.

The best approach is to provide the business with an interface through which it can do this itself (whether setting up a batch or doing it in real-time), but if that is impractical, then you need to design a process to perform it efficiently, reliably and under good change control.

For my money, only the final transitioning of the changed file into the live environment is a possible candidate for service change management and that could be a very simple routine if the business has managed the process with its data.

But you really do need to work out for yourself what will work well for you. In fact if I think a bit more about it (and, better still, if I knew a bit more about your circumstances) I might take a very different approach.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
anthonymq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: RFC and data changes Reply with quote

I would consider Data changes or ammendments as Service Requests.

Data changes means changes in records, which most of the time is performed by a user (IT or non IT) it is difficult to control what and how they enter the data. Data change pertains to change in a particular record/data, hence any requests for modification of data should be treated as a Service Request.

However, if the request is for change in a Master Record, i would consider this to be an RFC, since modification in a master records could potentially apply all throughout the application/service.
ChangeOfficer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my organization data is critical to application functionality and client deliverables. Changes to data are considered as IT changes.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you see, Sarajane, the answer is It Depends.
How is life after the Doctor? Change Management must be a comedown after travelling with a Time Lord
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: