Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HEllwood
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 58
Overall: 146167

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CAB and outsourcing of IT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAB and outsourcing of IT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: CAB and outsourcing of IT Reply with quote

Our IT organization is very much at a cross-roads and depending on who you talk to (based on ITIL knowledge/skill), you get a different answer to the subject.

What we have, is our IT organization is in the midst of a global IT outsourcing project for all systems identified as global and some larger regional system. While this is fine, it has raised the question of how to manage our CAB meetings moving foward.

The suggested method from management is the 100% virtualization of all CAB meetings (online via our company forum tool) in addition to the removal of the 2 regional CAB meetings. Our Regional meetings are run both virutal and physical on a weekly basis with a 3rd globalised CAB being run as a weekly physical meeting. The idea is to combine all into one neat little package. This scares the absolute poo out of me on so many levels. Shocked

So I guess my question to the group here is: for those that have outsourced, what has been your approach on how to manage the CAB's and associated changes after your outsourcing?
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I have worked for an organisation that outsourced was 13 years ago. Faced with the huge dilemma of becoming an employee of a global outsourcerer or taking a redundancy payout (after many years of service), I took the money and ran swiftly to Contract Land

I would also be scared poo-less at those CAB options Embarassed
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there going to be a change manager - withmgmt responsbilities or is the CM goign to be relegated to an admin sort where the only role / joy is ticking the box on whether the CR is approved or not

That being said.

Physical and teleconference meetings still should be done for the major pieces of work. The business as usual work usually has a known impac
t

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. If the economy over here were in a better state of affairs, I'd probably look strongly at leaving and going to something with a bit more focus on proper change management. But alas, that's not the case. We will still maintain a change management team but no dedicated change manager per sey, just 2 change coordinators. We will have a manager over the two but it will not be a person dedicated to a change manager role.

I also agree to host the physical meetings via teleconference for the major bits of work which do occur regularly due to the sheer size of our organization but the direction we have been given is very different unfortunately.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This strikes me as what we call "efficiency savings" which often translates as who needs efficiency if we can make savings.

Still it is only risk against cost when it gets down to it, and risks are notoriously difficult to quantify when there are savings to be made.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid wrote:
Still it is only risk against cost when it gets down to it, and risks are notoriously difficult to quantify when there are savings to be made.

Wise words. Just ask Akio Toyoda.
SubbuA
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: CAB Outsourcing Reply with quote

I will suggest you something....hope it will give you some food for thought

You say you have entered into outsourcing... believe me, the employees from the outsourcing organization will be paid less as the objective is for outsourcing. However, you can definitely get two change co-ordinators from the outsourcing company to work on your change analysis.

whilst the two change coordinator roles are being outsourced, you should be ready to invest this on min. one Change Manager (direct employee to ur organization) and your outsourced change coordinators should functionally report to this change manager (operationally they would be reporting to their managers from the same outsourced company)

and can have less frequent but for sure the telephonic global CAB conducted for final review and approval. This reduces a lot of risk

Believe me - cost saving is real good if it is not extreme and the decision on risk analysis is sensibly balanced

Regards
Subbu A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: