Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DGoad
New Today: 58
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 148180

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 0
Total: 55

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Business Analyst
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business Analyst
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cindbad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Business Analyst Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm working as a Business Analyst for a E-Commerce company in PA.

I do a lot of Requirement Analysis/ Gathering, SDLC, JAD, Documentation, Kind of a SME role (just making sure that no programming is involved)

BS in Statistics, MBA in Marketing

The Questions I have are:

1. Does ITIL have modules? (Like SAP - ABAP, Supply Chain, FICO etc)
If so, then which one would suit me.

2. I have heard of V2, V3 etc? How are they different.

3. Is there a certification exam and if so, any details?

I don't know ITIL at all and hence these questions.

Thanks in advance.
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this thing called Google. You can use it to search loads of computers at once and find what you need (the internet).

With an MBA you should be fairly resourceful and find out for yourself...
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are asked to do some SD or SS then ITIL might be useful.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomOzITIL_2 wrote:
There is this thing called Google. You can use it to search loads of computers at once and find what you need (the internet).

With an MBA you should be fairly resourceful and find out for yourself...

UKViking has stolen Tom and inhabited his skin
cindbad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ TomOzITIL_2

Google is called a Search Engine and not a thing!!! And you dont search computers, you search information shared among them.

Irritates you right!! When I answer like this!!
That is how anyone would feel....when someone is searching for information and we have someone make a mockery out of it.

LET ME EXPLAIN:
Tom, hypothetically, lets say you are interested in learning Mandarin (Chinese Language) and you wanted a book......

You asked on a Forum, which is the best book for starters??

And I replied "GO GOOGLE!!! You are sensible blah blah..."

What will you Google for??? "Best book for Chinese Language"

Every book's author will say "Mine is the best, so buy mine"

Which one will you buy and why??? What do you know about Mandarin which will make you decide??

AND THAT IS WHEN YOU LOG INTO A FORUM. Which is what I did!!

Now ITIL V2 & V3. try explaining it to someone with NO ITIL knowledge as to how does v2 differ from v3??

Exactly..........This is the kind of Info no one has. NONE has moved along the direction..

I did more than enough research and I do know that there is no pre-req for this course....started in UK for Commerce Dept blah blah.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindbad,

welcome to the forum.

If you are going to be pedantic, I would suggest that you assimilate information after you have searched for and found it on computers, among other places and to do that you need to actually search computers and that is what search engines do.

Now, there are official ITIL books. In fact that is what ITIL is - a specific set of books and so there is no debate about best. If you want a certificate you will be examined on the content of those books, not anything else. and, beyond foundation, you will also have attended a training course.

Reading through your acronymically laced post, I am not clear what you know about IT Service Management nor what you need to know about it.

If you know little about the subject it is pretty irrelevant what the difference is between v2 and v3, however in summary v3 is an enhanced version of v2, extending the scope of the ITIL publications and clarifying and updating some aspects of the older version.

Your analogy with Mandarin is not very apposite. We know that you know that Mandarin is a language, but we do not know whether you know that ITIL is guidance about IT Service Management. In fact, I got the impression from your post that you probably didn't.

Google is definitely a thing; its a computery / webby thing.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

postscript.

It was CCTA that developed ITIL. Nothing to do with commerce department whatever that is. I'm not sure there has ever been a "commerce department" in UK government. But I could be wrong; they go through titles like there was no election.
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindbad

I am quite surprised at the lack of quality control at the university level in what ever country you received your MBA

An individual who has received a Masters of Business Administration would have able to - at least based on the various schools that I have seen would have

known how to use Google, Wikipedia and other online resources to gather information
know the difference between sarcasm and irony, ignorance and stupidity and effort and laziness

As Diarmid and the others have been trying to tell you, go get the information yourself. While this is a forum, this forum does not exist to EDUCATE you in areas where you obviously have no knowledge.

We will point you in the direction to go. Google, Yahoo, Alta Vista, Bing, etc for search engines. You already have the topic and from the other posts you now have more keywords to use - terms like certification, training, books, courses, exams to use with ITIL

In addition, I would add CoBIT, PCI, ISO27001, ISO20000, IT Service Management as some additional words

You need to go away. Use the search engine and reference sites - Wikipedia being one of them (not the best .. but a good start) and quit using twitter, Facebook, myspace etc

Accept criticism and learn from them

Once you have read the information that would be from the search engine and you have separated the wheat from the chaff. - if the slang is unfamiliar - google it - and assimilated the information

come back and try again and ask some better questions

And NO. Tom did not borrow me. I only went to Hawaii for a drinking easter break. The only easter bunnies wore bikinis ;-0 :oops:

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
cindbad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post was SINCERE effort to know what the ITIL was from a group of people who have mastered it. And I have decided that, since I dont know anything about ITIL, let me carefully explain my stand/position.

And one reply was a satire, criticism (what ever you want to call it)

2nd post was a bit aggressive from my end and... Then I get reasonable response from 2 people.

I guess a lot of GROUPTHINK ing seems to be going on. That being said.

I agree that Searching online is a good idea. Well, Dont you guys think, this is a Search too.... As a Matter of fact, I came to know of this community as a result of a search.

Every other ITIL link, I have come across says "We are the best, please choose us for $1000 etc"

No one ever cares to describe what it is. They are BUSINESS oriented. They just want your money!

Community, I'm 100% sure, despite the display of Groupthink in this post. None of you will make money helping me. And I expected, that this is where the MASTERS of ITIL (everyone who replied) will be able to guide someone new.

And you did and Thanks for that.

But does it need things like

- Quit using Facebook, Twitter etc
- I'm not sure if it is UK Dept of Commerce. (Didnt you Google it?? And you are the expert in this field!! Aren't you still sure)
- You are MBA your college did not teach you this.
- Accept criticism and Learn from that (When did I display or say that I dont do it?)

Why should someone be criticized for being NEW into a field!!

Despite all this. I prefer to look at the valid points in your posts and omit your analysis of my character/ education...based on 30 lines I have written.

Thanks
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindbad

While this is a forum and you can ask anything you want in here, you also have to be able to accept that the forum members may not answer the question to your liking. We can be quite pendantic, anal rententive about things in the forum - I know I am

As to questioning your character/education, I did not. I questioned the education system that awarded you an MBA in Marketing - which you proudly stated to start. It is, of course, an inference to the standards that had to be met in order for you to get the MBA. You may have exceed the standards to the point of extreme excellence or you merely achieved the minimum standards to get the MBA. Who knows. But, this forum judges newbie - which you are - by their actions. And the forum does have a real issue - individually and collectively - about questions that are based on laziness - which your question does meet the criteria

You basically did no research on ITIL. You did not know whether it was an application, tool, a business practice, a standard or a philosphical state of being based on your first post. This lack of any effort on your part conveyed to us that you wanted us to give the information you were too busy to find yourself

There is an old hoary - give a man a fish and he is dependent on you for food. Teach him to fish and he will go away. The alternate is teach him to surf the net and he wont bother you for fish any more.

The issue is due diligence on your part and the belief that every one has to at least spend the effort to do some research on their own before throwning their respective hands up and asking newbie questions.

As for searches, yes.. you get crap searches. The idea is to write a search string that will limit the bs and give you what you want.

You are a MBA in Marketing. You obviously know that Google and other search engine - shill for paid links. This is how they make their money. But google and the other search engines are not the only game on the net

You need to write better search. but how to go about them. it is that you also must master so that when some one gives you something obscure you can search for it on the net

There are reliable or OK reference sites as well . While I have some issues with Wikipedia, I usually can say that if you search for a topic, you get the meat of the issue in Wiki. There is also other sites that you could look at

In addition, did you even bother to read the FAQ linked to this site. This had the basic information about ITIL as did the main page.

I think / surmise that you did a cursory search using ITIL and forum and got this site or someone gave this site.

I also dont think you even looked at any of the other posts or sections on the forum to glean what ITIL was.

You just came in and asked your question - most likely because you were trying to get the information in a hurry and not take the time required

BTW: Welcome to the forum. While we can be (me especially) GoGs, we can also be helpful and very very direct.

Note: PA I suppose is Pennslyvania or Panama

swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am confused by all these agressive posts, so i will try and answer your series of questions in a passive and friendly way.

In terms of your ITIL related questions, i recommend having a look at Wikipedia. I know WP is not great and can be absued, but it gives a good overview, and has links to a series of vital texts which can further satiate your thirst for further information.

In terms of your question regarding advice on learning Mandarin Chinese. I can advise that this is an ITIL site, and not a Mandarin Chinese site, however a cursory look on Amazon suggests the following:-
1. Easy-peasy Chinese: Mandarin Chinese for Beginners (Book & CD) by Dk (Audio CD - 3 May 2007)
Buy new: £8.99 £5.38
30 new from £3.47 6 used from £3.76

Get it by Thursday, April 15 if you order in the next 1 hour and choose express delivery.

2. Mandarin Phrasebook: With 3500-word two-way dictionary (Lonely Planet Phrasebook) by Lonely Planet (Paperback - 1 Sep 2006)
Buy new: £4.99 £3.37
34 new from £0.9415 used from £0.94

In stock but may require up to 2 additional days to deliver

3. First Thousand Words in Chinese by Heather Amery and Stephen Cartwright (Paperback - 24 Nov 2006)
Buy new: £7.00 £4.17
29 new from £2.385 used from £2.80

Get it by Thursday, April 15 if you order in the next 1 hour and choose express delivery.

I hope this gives some pointers to getting the answers you desire.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh come on, swansong... it was just getting good. Why'd you have to kill all the fun?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question concerning learning Mandarin Chinese

Is it like eating chinese food.. after you finish the meal, burp...you are hungry again

Is that why the used and new books are the same price

rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinbad,

Given the info that you've provided, we can't know. From a business analyst perspective, I think the questions you need to ask are how can ITIL help me; help my business?

Will ITIL help you: ITSM is about managing IT services for the customer. If you don't work in IT, certs in ITIL probably won't help. If you do work in IT, it depends on what you analyze (Foundations likely won't hurt).

Will ITIL help your business: What IT services does your business consume? Examples are business apps, email, document management systems, printers, and so forth.

If the 2nd is the what you're looking for, talk to your IT people. For example, ask them for an overview of what they do when you, a rep of the business, submits requirements for a new IT service (possibly a COTS application). What they do from requirements submittal to delivering it to supporting it is IT Service Management. (ITIL is one way of doing part of ITSM.)

All that said, if you're a BA for software development, your preferred SDLC program, whether Waterfall or Agile, will likely cover what you need.

ITIL is more about IT making sure:

Your completed code runs on servers and DBs big enough for it (Capacity/Asset/Config Management)

Your code is released into production (Change/Release Management),

Your code keeps running on appropriate servers and networks (Availability/Capacity/Change/Incident/Problem Management)

You're told when it doesn't satisfy their users' needs (Incident/Problem/Service Level Management).

This is purposefully a very very basic view of ITIL -- with V2 names. --Ruthie
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindbad wrote:
Every other ITIL link, I have come across says "We are the best, please choose us for $1000 etc"

When I google "ITIL" the first hit is "ITIL® Home" and is the official ITIL site. If your google doesn't hit that then you should try another search engine. On that site you can get a long way to answering your questions more authoritatively than you can here. It also provides links to other relevant sites.

If you read the information found on the official site's computer(s) you should easily learn whether and how ITIL is relevant or interesting to you. Then, if you need to know more, you can frame a question or two based on this knowledge and describing your context and we will try to answer it. And we will not have had to spend a lot of time typing out stuff that is probably better expressed on the official site et seq.

And you can put more trust in that site than you can in us.

You could also learn an awful lot of things by reading some threads right here. Many of the thread titles are good descriptions of the topic and so it is easy to pick out some educational ones.

- - - - - - -

Swansong,

The breadth and depth of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. but did you take into account our client's preferred learning method and his facility with foreign languages? did you even check whether he already knows other foreign (to him/her) languages. Not everyone benefits from the same approach. For example, I have looked at several highly recommended books on C++ and not got past chapter 2, because I keep thinking it is easier in assembler.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: