Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AHqw
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 149
Overall: 130903

People Online:
Visitors: 67
Members: 4
Total: 71 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Which process owns OS Support?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which process owns OS Support?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoland

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Which process owns OS Support? Reply with quote

Hi,
My customer has an issue with OS versions out of vendor support (NT4). I know that the CMS will store this information but which process uses the information/reports produced from the CMS?
Thanks!
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoland,

Configuration management provides information to all of the IT service management processes. So its there is no single process that uses the information from the CMS. Example: IT Service Continuity management for contengency planing, Change management for impact analysis, Capacity management for resource utilization and capacity planning etc..

I have this funny feeling that this might be an exam question..
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Which process owns OS Support? Reply with quote

stoland wrote:
Which process owns OS Support?

Processes do not own functions. They may use them, but in the case of high-level functions like server management or infrastructure management, which might provide OS support, it is more likely the other way round.

And, for certain, this server management function will be the primary user (and custodian) of information about servers.

The only legitimate reason for producing reports from the CMS is to meet stated requirements. Therefore, unless someone has stated such a requirement, there will be no report produced and you will not have to look for anyone to give it to. and, as tco said, lots of areas will have a legitimate need for such information.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
stoland

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Diarmid and TCO for replying.
Let me explain a bit where I'm coming from. I am helping to design a SACM process and am keen to ensure tight scope/objectives. I'm also helping to define the dependencies between a number of processes within the company's process framework. Incident, Problem, Change have listed their dependencies on Config - all straightforward enough.

It is assumed that all the processes in the framework (mix of ITIL 3, CMMI, CobIT) cater for all the activities in IT (Service Desk comes under IM - the obvious one I know). Do functions not perform process activities on a day to day basis?

So, to cover off the requirement to cater for the OS versions out of support, which process would it broadly fit under? Thanks!
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operations Management?
Server Management?

I have to guess because you have not given me a list and scope description of your processes.

If you are asking who owns the information, in the sense of is responsible for it, then that is a question about a function rather than a process.

If you are asking about dependencies, then they have to be mapped from process flows, not from some theoretical concept of what processes do and therefore we cannot help except by analysing your existing processes.

If you are designing the processes, then the answer will emerge from the process designs.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
SubbuA
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Server Management? Reply with quote

Mate the OS support, the people performing this work is a function that they would be doing...

say in OS support - if something goes wrong and needs to be fixed imemditaley - then it falls under incident

if there is a patch required - then they would fall under change management

Repeated issue on same OS - is a problem management

if the OS is used for too many servises within - then capacity management needs to be involved

so it is one work on OS support whose regular work will cut through several ITIL processes.... and certainly not just one

you are trying to mix the function with the processs

service desk is a fucntion - but why is it mostly associated with incident management is because most service desk only handle incidents and nothing else

say if a service desk also takes care of user access, or software installation etc

the the identity management and request management processes should be associated with those service desk and they should not be refrained only to incident management...

so your assumption on associating service desk to incident management is because of the generic practise and but is not always true
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Service Delivery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: