Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: EmanuelPe
New Today: 63
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 141315

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 4
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Foundations... difficult? how credible is the cert?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Foundations... difficult? how credible is the cert?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
db_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: ITIL Foundations... difficult? how credible is the cert? Reply with quote

I'm curious how difficult this certification is.

How much weight does this certification carry when candidates are considered for a job?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

db,

welcome to the forum.

Two questions, two answers.

1. If you know everything there is to know about IT service management, have the ability to read and assimilate the texts and the capability of responding to questions in an exam environment (for example you don't get too nervous), then it is very easy. But if you have no knowledge or experience in IT service management, then it will not be so easy.

2. a) I don't know what GSM the certification bodies use for the certificate
b) it depends; some employers might be impressed, others not so much - try looking at job adverts to see how strongly it is a requirement compared with other things, such as experience in the right (or left) field.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the certification is as credible as the knowledge and experience that you bring with it. if you have no previous knowledge of ITIL, just studied for it and got your Foundations best you can hope for imho is a service desk analyst job. But stranger things do happen. All you have to do really is walk into a right place at the right time.
selfy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: ITIL Foundations... difficult? how credible is the cert? Reply with quote

Some contracts specify at least ITIL foundation certification, so for myself it is a must.

db_ wrote:

How much weight does this certification carry when candidates are considered for a job?
MSP
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: ITIL Foundation... Reply with quote

In response to your questions regarding difficulty of foundation certification...

I would say it's difficulty level is about 113.

It's weight for jobs is between 130KG-140KG.

I have tried to be as specific as possible with my answers, as are your questions.

MSP
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you attend a credible 3-day course you should find it easy to pass.

It depends on the job you're aiming for but as a general rule, it doesn't carry much weight at all. It is sometimes a very basic minimum requirement but you're unlikely to stand out from a crowd due to a pretty simple 3-day certification.

In short:
difficult = no
credible = no, not really.
elgordo111

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: ITIL Foundations... difficult? how credible is the cert? Reply with quote

db_ wrote:

The initial Foundation certification is not difficult to pass, and can be done via self study methods without the need for a formal class.

Of course, a class (either online or in person) is very helpful if you want a deeper understanding of the concepts, but many folks pass the exam through purely self study mechanisms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: