Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CArreguin
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 67
Overall: 146101

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Desk Tool
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Desk Tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donJuan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Service Desk Tool Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the ITIL industry and continually learning from everyone here in the ITIL community - which is great!
I would like to implement a new system for service desk requests into our current IT infrastructure. There is not a major flow of RFC's or service requests, as IT supports the internal staff. Currently requests are sent to a general 'IT Support' email group. One of the IT staff members will attend to the issue and insert the job into our IT tasks list. This however is not the best way to record information about the request. Nor can I process enough information from the requests and draw up reports efficiently.
A point to consider is that staff are used to sending an email to IT for support of any kind.
I would like to know if there is a stand-alone program that will run, in say the taskbar, and not through a web interface. Information about the request will be sent from the pc to a central database.
The reason for this is the ease of implementation of the system into the current IT processes as well as the disruption for a user to adjust to the new system - as it would be longer to login and fill out a form on a web interface.

Thanks for your feedback.
eisbergsk
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, London! Here's a typically odd question from me: Does the company you work for do anything other than IT? If so, do those areas have a 'service request' process? The company I work for is not in the IT business, and has an amazing number of 'service request' processes, each developed by its own business group. Of course, now we're actually trying to use the same processes, so its definitely fun-time around here as we try to find out how each of them works and what would work the best for 'everyone', one group at a time.
Short version: look in-house and you may save yourself some grief in the long term, or you might get more resources for a new solution if your pain is shared.
/Sharon in Canada
Ziad
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
There was a simple support tool consisting of a web interface and an embedded mysql database that requires an smtp engine.
You can create a mail account for users to send their incidents and service requests to, it can be a mailing list. Once the mail is received it is automatically entered in the support tool and a reply message is automatically generated. The support staff will have to edit the logged incident to assign a priority and work on the issue.
It was fairly easy to generate any kind of reports from this tool since it is totally customizable to the user's needs.

Something to note is that the email must be sent a specific format, depending on your customization of the interface and database fileds selection, so that the content of the email is automatically entered in the ncident details while logging the incident.
Same thing can be done for Knowledge base entries (known errors resolutions).

It was called SupportWizard, I do not know if it's still available and what kind of new features does it contain.

Since you are running a failry small operation, I think this tool is more than enough and is affordable.

Regards,
Z!
donJuan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Canada!!
Sounds like you are really enjoying putting everything together.
The company that I work for is a well established PR company based here in London. So included in the service requests, there are - as usual - other new ideas to change current infrastructures. There is no particular service request per area. The support is all general and no group is treated differently with a different service request process - as there is no need for this. I would imagine grouping the subsidery company's into different service requests groups though.
donJuan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Z!
I will be reviewing the tool this week.

Take care.
fighter
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donJuan,

Check out this product!

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Release 5 There is a trial verison available may you can see hands on if it suits your requiremets. Very easy to administer and easy to use and manage.

They have yearly licensing and full license as well..

Hope this helps!

Vimzie!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: