Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MAso
New Today: 68
New Yesterday: 173
Overall: 131310

People Online:
Visitors: 40
Members: 4
Total: 44 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Long Range Planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Range Planning

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does your organisations Infrastructure planning take business strategies into account?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
What?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Long Range Planning Reply with quote

Hi guys....not been around for a while.....& now in need of your opinion regarding long range planning.....

My org has recently completed a long range budget planning exercise. I opened my big mouth to state that no analysis had been done on the business plans in order to create the infrastructure plans. Rolling Eyes yes, I know now.

So having made some analysis my assumption are correct in that there is no correlation. Where business project plans increase, infrastructure budgets remain on a slight growth.

2 points of failure for me:
1- Not being pro-active to the business plans
2- Not rtaking into account achitectural strategies, where infra costs should reduce.

Rant over........is your organisation the same?

BRB finishing my presentation on this shite......& firmly closing my big gob.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, long range planning is too difficult for most organizations and should not be attempted.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only long range planning i do is

how far can that person go with me being able to hit them with a rock

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing my initial naivety on the subject has no passed, and I will avoid any involvement in the subject.

Although, I've ended up putting together a proposal to create a set of infrastructure models for small, medium, and large projects based on the objectives and budget of the project. Primarily aimed at only forecasting for the future 12months when the IT Project Portfolio is put together......not sure how the audience will react, but something must be better than going in blind, and purely adding x% on top of last years budget as seems to be the norm.
ChrisD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise a really good point - if we are to be professional and encourage 'best practice' for IT Service Management, why are some organisation so blind when it comes to Capacity Management? I appreciate that it is very hard to get capacity management right, but in my book you are absolutley right to put your head above the parapet in being pro-active. I hope that your presentation gets a fair hearing ......
Cking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every few years or so, IT lays out an infrastructure roadmap that incorporates not only foreseeable capacity increases, but also fundamental technology changes or upgrades. Often times this turns into a domino effect of internally initiated projects that will span several years to budget and complete.

Costs are estimated and adjusted year to year for the budget planning process, and then the budgeting team determines how far down the roadmap can be planned for the coming year.

It doesn't directly consider business plans, but the roadmap usually comes about when we recognize approaching constraints - no more slots for additional switch blades - limited slots in the storage frame for additional disk ... licenses no longer available (or supported) for version of sw in use... (ie. cluster, virtual...)
SwissTony
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end my hands were somewhat politically tied.... Rolling Eyes

The results showed an investment of 6% of total project budgeting going directly for hardware purchases next year - although as Infra budgeting did not take business plans in to account, that percentage varies over the next few years, and will need to be addressed.

Finally, I included the proposal to create a set of models for small, medium, large projects - which will then have differences for new, replace, and extension projects. This system would be used for a 12month forecast, based on detail project plans.

Certainly not an exact science, however, it will provide a quantifiable forecast........against our current situation of, well, nothing other than finger-in-the-air guesstimates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: