Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LWRX
New Today: 66
New Yesterday: 78
Overall: 143328

People Online:
Visitors: 170
Members: 0
Total: 170

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Newbie looking for direction!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie looking for direction!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doberman1979

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Newbie looking for direction! Reply with quote

Hi there

Firstly, if I have posted this in the wrong section I apologise but I am looking at ITIL from a Service Desk stance.

I am currently an IT Helpdesk Manager and have been since I set my helpdesk up 3.5 years ago. I recently passed my V3 Foundation and would like to progress to ITIL Expert.

From my understanding I can pick modules from both the Capability and lifecycle streams to make up the required level of credits. Now what I would like to know is, in your opinion, as an ITIL qualified SD Manager(s) which are the best/most appropriate modules to study for a person wanting to take a basic Helpdesk and develop it into an ITIL Service Desk?

Regards Simon
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

1st. there is no such thing as an ITIL service desk
2nd. there is no no such thing as an ITIL anything

ITIL is a set of best, better, practices on how to do things

if you have a SD, you have - incident mgmt, problem mgmt, change, config and release - by default

If you have a team dedicated to PM, CCR and the process, procedures etc for these are well linked to the SD / IM process, then you are doing IT SM using ITIL whether you know it or not

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Doberman1979

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Maybe not phrased this very well, the upshot is that I want to bring the Helpdesk and try to elevate it (along with the rest of IT) so we operate in line with ITIL's best practices. I appreciate that ITIL can only give guidance and isnít a concrete set of rules or a definitive way to work.

We have some basics such as ISMS/change control based on ISO27001's model but thatís few and far between, 99% lot of what we do is very much reactive, Unfortunately I work in an environment with very little communication between 2nd & 3rd Line and our software development teams. (I am still awaiting documentation from an integration that took place at Easter and for 2 software products, one rolled out 12 months ago and 4 months ago)

As for teams dedicated to PM and CCR, well, its not great if I am honest Rolling Eyes

So its either time to post my updated C.V. out or try to bring this round and to try to change things for the better! My main aim is to make the Helpdesk a better place for my staff to work and provide a better experience for my customers/users. sooooo, If you were in this position, which of the modules would benefit me most please?

Also if any of you are in England/UK have you managed to get your employers to pay for the courses of is it expected that you pay for them yourselves?

Simon
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

my first question is

has the senior mgmt signed off on using ITIL BP explicitly ?
If not, dont start- doomed to failure

My next statement is

the SD needs to have good interaction with the Nth line support for resolution. END . PERIOD. STOP.

Spend your time doing that using things like documentation communication etc

once the SD and the incident resolution team work together in their bits of the IM process, then tackle the relationship between the SD, IM resolution team and the PM team

etc etc

Beyond that, I have to comment

Having the ITIL Foundation - means... you can spell ITIL, you can identify the parts.

Going through the intermediate course through to ITIL Expert does not make you one

Implementing ITIL BP is like building a house

While I know how to use a hammer, nail, saw and wood. I am not a builder

You need to have professionals who have done it multiple times to help you from being doomed from the start

While we can give advice here.. it is free advice .. what may be needed is paid for consulting / guideance

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: