Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CGovernor
New Today: 14
New Yesterday: 78
Overall: 143276

People Online:
Visitors: 68
Members: 5
Total: 73 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CM Governance Strategy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CM Governance Strategy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jianmin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: CM Governance Strategy Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if someone could shed some light for me on how to define and plan a strategy for Config. Mgmt Governance. What are the CM Governance requirements, process and the required org. structure?

Thanks!
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about rest of the folks here but I haven't really heard of Config Management Governance per se. If you are referring to Configuration Management as per ITIL best practices, the chapter in the blue book for version 2 or Service Transition book for V3 (i can't name the color of that book) will provide you with some pretty good insight.

In general, if you are setting Config Management from scratch, you will need to define a policy which will indeed govern how you conduct your config mngt activities, the do's and the dont's, etc.

But it all starts in understanding what your needs for config mngt are.

Perhaps if you can provide a bit more context you may get more pointed answers.

Cheers
Jianmin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i'm wondering is, let's say an organization doesn't have any CM in place and they would like to explore the idea of implementing CM and a CMS/CMDB. One thing an organization is curious about, is a proposed organization and process model for governance of config. data.

This governance, is simply the CM Plan (as referred in ITIL)? Or something at a much higher level (for example, requires a sponsor, multiple governing authorities who evaluates the 'CM process'...ensures it meet business objectives, etc.).
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you need to have a reason why you need CfgM in place - you first need to identify what issues or opportunities you are trying to address by implementing Cfg mngt.

If you decide that there is a need and justification for implementing this process, then the governance and process itself will stem from YOUR organization's specific needs and requirements.

But typically, yes, you will require a sponsor (typically at the exec level), a process owner, will need to define config policy which will dictate the authority structure among other things, initiate a project, pick your team, do the scope, etc, etc...

But I can't stress this enough... make sure you understand very clearly WHY you need configuration management.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jianmin wrote:
What i'm wondering is, let's say an organization doesn't have any CM in place...

No IT service management functions without managing its configuration. The issue is how well is it managed. If you start by asking that question, the governance requirements will emerge from the answer.

You can use ITIL, CobIT, ISO20000, USMBOK, and probably other documents to help you frame your question.

I doubt if anyone here can offer better than those sources, and I certainly would not try (even using them) without knowing your organization rather well.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: