Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DemetrBris
New Today: 36
New Yesterday: 63
Overall: 149710

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 0
Total: 58

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL templetes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL templetes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Screeeeeem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: ITIL templetes Reply with quote

ok
now ill have a new job soon as an ITIL consultant , cool ?
now i studied the foundation and the service manager, i understand it very well , u know its diffcult to dump it , i passed with distinction and i know every detail in the processes of each part of the ITIL
my questions are :
1) there must be a site that provides materials for ITIL like checklists , templates ...etc when i enter to client site , i want those when i do the survey
2) if im doing a project from scratch ofcourse ill pick each module and work based on it , there must be a checklist for each module on what steps to do to overcome the project , i need those as well
3) in general how to initiate the ITIL project and how to reach to a full documented result using standards that i dont know where are them now

SOS , without the above i cant change to that job that im dreaming about since 3 years

please note that theory part is 100% covered but now i want the actual practical part as i just passed last week

thanks
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a joke....right?
Screeeeeem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its a joke would i post ? Evil or Very Mad
actually one of the reasons i didnt like to register here is the way of replying , if you know the answer there is no need to insult ppl , i already know ur clever , u want a star for that ? Shocked
share your knowledge or just please leave this topic for somebody else who felt the problem i am in now

as you didnt face this when you started your work in ITIL Confused or i forgot you was born genius lol , why this forum is built , isnt it to DISCUSS !
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screem,

Replying to your post people pay money for people with that knowledge. There are things that you can learn but there are also things that can't be tought. Those should come from experience and its called wisdom. Since you have 100% knowledge of what ITIL is then there is nothing left for us to teach you. This comes from real life experience, if you are not qualified for that job from the begining then why did you apply for it, why don't you work your way up? why don't you start as an analyst and go step by step.

However if you want those templates just google it I know at least 2 companies that provide those monkey see monkey do templates however it might not suite the business you'll be working for.

I hope you learn from this advice and benefit from it instead of taking as an insult.

Good Luck
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
Screeeeeem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man alot
this is called a nice reply Smile , ill explain more the issue , before 3 months i decided to be an ITIL guy to shift from the technical part a little and work in consultancy firm
now i have the chance to work as an itil consultant , i know that this isnt for free , my question was meant for the free parts as an example
configuration management , i know what is it and how to work with it , my missing part is how to apply it to any environment as i dont have experience in that as you know its only theory knowledge Smile

so my question for the CM if there are some predefined checklists/templates that are free for sure that will help me in collecting the info in any environment and then from there we create the report for what we suggest on the client

some companies have their own procedures for doing that , im asking for a site that shows samples of those procedures and for sure will do my own from those

i hope you got what i meant

an example is
[Admin: Do not post links Evil or Very Mad ]

if there are sites that you need to buy from then please suggest them

in your daily work as an example what do you do Smile ?

thanks
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screeeeeem,

first off drop that URL before you get thrown off the site.

Secondly please let me know which company is recruiting consultants with no experience and maybe they will value my experience and give me a job. In my naivete I thought the whole value in a consultant was tapping into the experience - anyone can read a book; it's not even necessary to pass an exam to be able to read and apply the ITIL books if you have the experience.

Oh and that will help everyone else avoid using that consultancy company unless all they want is someone to recite the ITIL books at them.

I'm with swansong on this one.

I would also take the view that getting a hold of some templates will not progress your experience one iota. If you want my view on the value of generic templates just search a few threads here and most of what I say is based on the assumption that the people actually do have experience.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid, you are indeed very naive.
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screeeeeeem.
I thought your post was a reworking of Roger McGoughs poem, The Leader, which I think is one of the funniest poems ever. Thats why I thought it was a joke.
If you are not familiar with his work, I have appended it below.

The Leader - Roger McGough

I wanna be the leader
I wanna be the leader
Can I be the leader?
Can I? I can?
Promise? Promise?
Yippee I'm the leader
I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?
Screeeeeem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@diarmid there isnt an option to edit my post Smile , plz mods do the needful

ok i got the point we are all joking now , then whats the point ? had ur fun already Smile

i have 8 years experience in IT field and 5 years in consultancy , the reason to take itil to be an ITIL consultant , isnt tht different that my actual consultancy that im doing now ? if no then im an itil consultant without the cert Smile

so i think there is a difference , that is to work based on the itil processes , now my question was very clear , how to start working as an ITIL consultant , u wana convince me with experience , i already know tht , my question is WHEN YOU STARTED what did you do ? you didnt rely on ANYTHING , or just u were born with talent LOL

@swasong , no need to be a leader as im board leading ppl Smile

i hope there arent more jokes coming nw as this forum is fun Very Happy lol really a bunch op ppl tht just like to joke nth more

impressive Smile
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh

I am quite under impressed with Screeeeeem, his posting and the reason he is here.

1 - I think I have 26 years in IT
2 - I have 5+ years using ITIL
2a - I have the Service manager's Red badge - which require 2 week course and 2 3 hour exams - essays
3 - I have being contracting / consluting for 3 years
4 - I have implemented ITIL b.p. processes in 4 different company

I also know how to use upper and lower case, punctuation and even grammar - ven in english - which is not my native language - American

As for Screeeeeeem, he just passed foundation exam for V3, I expect and he now knows he can provide consulting services for ITIL b.p.

And I will answer the questions in the original post

1 - no there is not a site. While the itSMF, BCS and other organizations may have documents to help you, the bulk of the work must be done by yourself - the consultant
2 - Project Management is a skill set and certification. PRINCE2 or PMP is the certification / body of b.p. for project management. This too is a learned skill. While there may be templates out there for implementing things, the bulk of the work must be done by yourself - the consultant

hmm. theme here

3 - Hmm. You are the ITIL consultant. You would tell the customer how to implement the ITIL processes and where to start. You would have to do all the documentation - just like I did for the four customers. If you are smart, you would create your own style sheets, templates for policy, process, procedure and work instruction documentation

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google "ITIL Live" there is a site that offers what you're asking about as a service.

The company that you're working for - hopefully for you, you are not a one-person show starting from scratch, and there are people you can learn from or shadow for your first couple of consulting gigs. if I were you I would try to find a mentor from within your company.

What the others say is true enough, but we all have to start somewhere.

I suggest you also start to learn a bit about COBIT, ISO2000, CMMi and eSCM-SP. Plenty of free downloads of IP you can get hold of.

This might be a bit inethical, but most established ITSM consulting companies will have overviews of their consulting approaches. They almost all offer a maturity assessment service.

Read ITSM focused blogs like itskeptic, ianmclayton, psychitsm and learn more.

Buy the 5 version 3 books. They all have alot more than just process stuff in them. Consider buying the V2 book "Planning to Implement IT Service Management" - the principles still hold relatively true.

ITSM is all about people transformation. Get John Kotter's book "Leading Change". It is a fabulous book.

Learn about Organisational Transformation, Performance Management, Kaplan & Norton Balanced Scorecard. Do some basic training in accounting, financial management, return on investment - it's always best to chase the business value, not do things because ITIL says so.

Back in the day (2000), when I was doing some consulting for the first time, I got my employer and a friendly existing customer to allow me to do a freebie job to learn the methods, make some mistakes. What we wanted in return was a written reference/case study if the customer was happy with the work. We were upfront about this and it worked well. I even got the customer CIO to agree to a handful of feedback/mentor meetings. I came out better for it, we got the reference and the new consulting service was off and running.

If you work for a consulting company, make it your mission to train your company's salespeople on the methods, value of your approach. Join them on sales calls.

Get used to presenting to busy senior people - google "Selling to the Big Dogs" and learn about it. Learn how to change a 60 minute presentation into a 5 minute presentation on the fly because the customer has had their available time slashed - but you still need to get a decision.

Get some practice facilitating workshops, handling a hostile crowd, writing reports, whitepapers. Make sure your MS Office skills are top notch. Learn to use pictures as well as numbers and words.

Bottom line - experience is earned, not downloaded.

That's the free advice you'll get from me.

Good luck anyway.
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS:

Consulting means that you have to take your business ethics very seriously. You need a values system.

I stick to the below that I borrowed from McKinsey & Co years ago:

EARN TRUST, MAINTAIN TRUST, DELIVER VALUE.
* To put the Client’s interests ahead of our own interests
* To maintain confidence, the private and proprietary information of the Client and any sensitive opinions of individuals
* To maintain an independent position, being ready to differ with the Client’s executives and to tell them the truth as we see it, even though that may adversely affect our income or endanger continuance of the relationship

Also. Follow the below formula from the old solutions selling courses of the 1990s.

SALES SUCCESS = POWER X PAIN X GAIN X VALUE X CONTROL

POWER = make sure you're helping someone who can make decisions, get budget etc.
PAIN = there is something that is causing them grief on a personal level, or there is something that they actually want to happen.
GAIN = you can remove the grief or make the good happen.
VALUE = the return is well worth the cost and risk, hopefully quantified but perceived value works too.
CONTROL = Take some control of the timeing and sequencing of activities leading up to and after a decision, through to benefits realisation.

So you see, there is alot to this Consulting game. I'm about 15 years in and still learning all the time.
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screeeeem,

Based on the number of years behind you, could you please suggest us all that how do we do ITIL project? Are you as well trying to 'implement' ITIL somewhere?

I think we need your help more than what you need out of us. I really find myself too wet behind my ears after reading your initial and subsequent posts. You want to initiate an ITIL project to get results using (ITIL) standards.

I did some study in ITIL, read PMBoK thrice I think, got myself PMP certified (its trendy, you see), however, I really found no way to do ITIL project to use ITIL standards.

I screeeeem for your help bud. This forum is in dire need of people like you.

Vivek
"the only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself"
Winston Churchill
aciph

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screeeeeem - I do have some sympathy here with you but also some frustration too.

I have spent 10+ years putting the right tools in my arsenal after being very green and taking the first steps to ITIL qualifications way back when. We all have to start somewhere and to give credit where credit is due, reaching out to those with knowledge and experience is the right idea...but...................(and its a big one)..

You are following a path that is all to dissimilar to the late 90's when the badge of the day / week / month was MCSE. Shamefully i had this also, but i didnt know the first thing practically or functionally on how to build an active directory forest, establish multi trusted domains etc....from a ITIL standpoint and CMDB (example) when autodiscovery runs amok and really changes your data sets and triggers all sorts of exceptions and violations, knowing what to do and experience of doing it is very useful! It also builds credability and trust.

I have cut my teeth managing some very large successful implementations of process re-engineering, tool implementations and cultural change. I have also royally screwed some of them up, thats how we learn.

Nothing gets my back up more than very green consultants coming in armed with a slew of knowledge and no practical experience. How can you commend trust and respect when you dont have the experience of implementations behind you. Also, vendors fall into this trap will all singing all dancing ITIL COMPLIANT tools they offer, btw - this doesnt exist, handy consultant tip for you....

Sorry for the rant, but felt i had to reply and even went to the trouble of registering to do so.....
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, aciph.

I hope you will stay with us now that you have signed up.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: