Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: C5662
New Today: 80
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 141901

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 1
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Foundation Courses
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Foundation Courses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattDC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: ITIL Foundation Courses Reply with quote

Hello All:

I am considering taking a foundation level course and I want to be sure that this isn't mearly a brain dump. I am interested in learing the philosophies behind ITIL and how it works. I am afraid of taking a course that is just geared to taking the exam. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sue-V

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather suspect that you will find that most courses are geared towards the exam. At the end of the day, that is what most people are seeking.

However, the foundation level exam itself does in fact cover the issues you mention (how it works, etc), so I am not sure what makes you think that you wouldn't gain this understanding by simply taking the course.

You should note though that specific courses can't really be recommened here, as it is a non-commercial forum.

Best of luck.

Sue
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattDC,

it most definitely was a 'brain-dump' in my case. A two and a half day course, followed by the exam on the final afternoon. There are a rather large ammount of 'terms' to get stuffed into the old scone. Though it isn't only a brain dump.

The group I did it with made an effort - particulalry with a simulation they had developed. But how 'rote' it is will depend on a) the trainers, and b) the people you are doing it with.

To keep it in context - it is the foundation course. In my opinion (no offence intended to those in the forum who have yet to go further formally) it is what you would send staff to who are expected to work within ITIL based processes. Not what you need to be an implementor or senior process owner.

For that there are the manager and practitioner level courses - of which the foundation certificate is a pre-requisite. But you have to start somewhere eh? And you'll learn enough to facillitate further learning: formally or informally.

The exam is however an indication that you are supposed to gain understanding and not just a bunch of atomic facts: It is rather cleverly written so that although it is multiple choice, you really do need to understand the conceptual framework.
SSupport

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Foundation Course Reply with quote

Hi (Anyone Going On the ITIL Foundation Course)

I went on the ITIL Foundation course approx 2 years ago and passed.
For some of the people on the course it was pretty hard going for the simple reason, that they had been sent on the course with no practicle experience of Service Management, so for them to go on a 2 and a half day course and then an exam approx 1 hour after that is tuff going. If you have had no experience of this - the course is all technical and you cant easily relate to what is going on... especially when given a case study and certainly when it comes to the exam!!!
There is alot of information to take in over these couple of days, so it would be worth doing some research before you go on this course (but dont over-load yourself before-hand)... speak to someone who has been on the course (if available).

In my opinion, which worked well for me - was to get some practical experience before you go on this course... and throughout the course, you will be telling yourself, "yes i have done this" or "could i have done that a different way"... you can then relate to other candidates on the course and get involved in conversations and be able to give an opinion that is taken on board.

This course isnt "in-depth" compared to the other courses but certainly gives you a good grounding when starting out in Service Management.

SSupport
Service Support Manager
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience was that I had to rethink some of the viewpoints that I had held for the previous 30 years - not easy. All the older people I have spoken to on my foundation and subsequent Practitioner courses have agreed that the more baggage you are carrying the harder it is. Youngsters with a modicum of experience definitely had it easier - being nearer the Learning zone also helped I am sure

Regards

Ed
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think of it as an intensive language course. Before you can have a conversation you need to know the basic grammatical constructs and learn some words.
So it will be part concept and part brain dump
I'm liking this metaphor
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: