Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:56 am Post subject: What came first? The Problem Ticket or the Defect Ticket?
I'm curious about how this situation should be correctly handled:
1. Customer calls in with an issue with the production environment
2. Care creates an Incident Ticket
3. Turns out the issue is an error, so it is now a Problem Ticket
4. Engineers take the problem ticket and create a Defect Ticket
5. Defect is fixed, all is well
1. Engineer identifies an issue with the production environment
2. Engineer creates a Defect Ticket
3. Engineering group fixes the defect
Does the engineer need to go back and create a problem ticket? What is the benefit of the problem ticket if a Defect Ticketing system also exists?
Here's what's currently happening:
-all Problem Tickets create Defect Tickets
-not all Defect Tickets were created by Problem Tickets
Should the Engineers *always* create Problem tickets if they identify defects in production?
Joined: Mar 04, 2008 Posts: 1889 Location: Helensburgh
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:18 am Post subject:
You are not using the terms, and particularly "problem", in a way that is familiar to me. I would need to understand what you mean by problem and defect and incident. In ITIL terms it does not sound as if you had identified a problem.
However, I am confident that only you can answer your question. Whether your engineer should always create a problem ticket when s/he detects a defect depends on three things:
1. what your policies say.
2. how the lines of control work between the various processes.
3. what you want to do with the information (e.g. how you want to correlate and audit the various ticket regimes). _________________ "Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum