Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: herbertss60
New Today: 84
New Yesterday: 62
Overall: 142059

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 2
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Examples of good practice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Examples of good practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
algreen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Examples of good practice Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've been asked to look at mapping some of the systems in my university into a ITIL framework. I have to admit that I'm an ITIL newbie, though I've been learning a lot by reading various books and web sites.

There seems to be a lack of consistency in how proceses are documented. Sure, ITIL defines specific requirements and some common terminology. However, each organisation seems to produce their own in-house template to document these processes.

I have two questions:
1. Has any work been performed to develop high-level templates for common components, such as availability management, that ITIL implementers should use to guide their work?

2. Are there examples of 'good practice' documents? Each organisation will, as mentioned numerous times, have specific processes and requirements. However, examples of real-world usage would be helpful to the community as a whole.

Cheers
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Algreen

1 - what books did you use

If you did not use the Official ITIL books - v2 or v3; you should

2 - ITIL does not do documentation. You do

It is up to each organization to do their documentation for each process and ensure that they link together where possible

ITIL merely says that your processes should be documented and there should be linked between the processes

Also, there are no official templates as each company is different

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
algreen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
1 - what books did you use

I have 'Service Operation based on ITIL v3'. 'Service Strategy based on ITIL v3' and 'Service Design based on ITIL v3' by Van Haren Publishing. I wanted to buy the ITIL books, but haven't been able to convince my employers to buy them yet (UK academics are more concerned with spending cuts at the moment).

UKVIKING wrote:
2 - ITIL does not do documentation. You do

Obviously. ITIL provides a common language and a set of issues to consider that can guide the process.

UKVIKING wrote:
It is up to each organization to do their documentation for each process and ensure that they link together where possible

ITIL merely says that your processes should be documented and there should be linked between the processes

Also, there are no official templates as each company is different[/quote]

I wasn't necessarily suggesting an "official" template, but a set of headings would be useful to guide the process. Each company may be different in the processes they implement, but the processes themselves can be expressed in broadly similar ways. It would be interesting to see real-world examples that, for example, show how the implementer has linked processes together.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Algreen

I have re-read your post

The following is my opinion

1 - you are doomed to fail in your attempt to implement ITIL

2 - You dont implement ITIL. You implement IT Service Management using ITIL

LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you have a look at the requirements in ISO/IEC20000. It states what each process MUST contain, and also makes recommendations. It is broadly based on ITIL.
There are companies that will sell you process maps at great cost - these are not necessary - working out processes based on ISO20K, but applied to your own organisation is sufficient, or even better.
Ignore some of the grumpy responses you get - we old-timers get agitated about people saying they "implement ITIL" - you had explained what you were actually looking for pretty well. We normally lie down in a darkened room, muttering, until the agitation passes. LOL
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!

LIz is right in more ways than 1

The ISO 20000 :1 & :2 does give you what you need to have in order to be ISO20K compliant . certified

Algreen

You have to realize ITIL by itself does not solve everything

you must write policy documents
process, procedures etc

T

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually dont comment to my own comments but

If you are wanting to implement IT service management using ITIL and you want to succeed in doing so for your company, organization etc

You need more than ...just read the books.... in order to ensure that it is successful.

While training is one thing for you to learn more about ITIL, you should have some one experienced in implementing ITIL / IT SM assist you so it does go right the first.

If you dont have some one who is more experienced in implementing IT SM / ITIL, then there is a good chance that it will either fail horribly or not get implemented as you desire

and of course it takes senior mgmt buy in

IT SM / ITIL Implementation is not about tools or software, it is about having documented process, procedures and of course policies in place that all must be aware of and follow

ChrisD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent posts from John and Liz in my opinion, wise words that I hope that many people will learn from......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: