Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: PBaskett
New Today: 27
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 139517

People Online:
Visitors: 68
Members: 1
Total: 69 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How to become a ITIL trainer?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to become a ITIL trainer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wisey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: How to become a ITIL trainer? Reply with quote

I have the ITIL V2 service manager certificate and on my way toward V3 expert. I heard there is an ITIL trainer diploma certificate for the trainers.

Anyone knows the path to become an ITIL trainer? Any information will be appreciated.

Thank You

Wisey

ITIL V2 service manager
Configuration Manager

Wisey

ITIL V2 Service Manager
Configuration Manager
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a trainer's diploma.
You need ideally ITIL Expert level. - but you must hold each specific qualification you want to teach - so potentially you need to sit every exam.
You need to have some training experience - better still, a training qualification.
You then need to apply to an Exam Institute, such as ISEB or EXIN - you need to be sponsored by a training company, to shadow a trainer, giving part of a course, and eventually the whole course under supervision.

And after all that - you need to find the work - there are many, many trainers who have had no training work on many months.
Wisey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo, Does the trainer need to pass the exams with higher marks?

Thanks

Wisey

ITIL V2 Service Manager
Configuration Manager
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the requirements depend on who provides the training accreditation. For example, our company has an agreement with the Loyalist... they require that the trainer has the certification in the course they are teaching and plus I think 9 additional credits obtained through taking ITIL classes. Also, if they deem you don't have sufficient teaching experience, they require you to take adult education course.

Now, I am not sure what their requirements would be for independent trainers, as opposed to trainers that are part of the consulting organizations Loyalist has some sort of master agreement with.

They have office in GTA, give them a shout and I am sure you'll get some concrete answers.

Cheers
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not quite right Timo. APMG and its various committees (which have representatives from the Examination Institutes). They lay down the basic rules for all trainers (employed or freelance), which are as you describe. They may add their own conditions on top.
It is possible to teach the Foundayion without being an accredityed trainer, as students can enter temselves for theexam - but this is NOT recommended.
You need to have passed the exams well, not just scraped through!
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might very well be. I didn't have to deal with APMG... I just dealt with the dude in our company that deals with the Loyalist College that provides the training accreditation after certain conditions (don't know if it's the Loyalists' or the APMG's) are met.

You are probably right about the marks too. I had to provide my scores along with the certificate... as well as the proof of previous teaching experience.
Wisey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Timo and Liz

The information is helpful. Smile

Regards

Wisey

ITIL V2 Service Manager
Configuration Manager
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume that a good way to become an ITIL Trainer is to join a company who does both consulting & certified training. You might start as a junior consultant (auditor & process writer) but will be conducting Foundation courses in no time. That way the company pays for your certification and you have colleagues to help/mentor you.

Plus you're not really responsible for selling business (in the first instance).

my 20c
Wisey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be hard for me to do because I have a full time job as a Configuration Manager.

Anyway I can do part time?

Wisey

ITIL V2 Service Manager
Configuration Manager
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, you need to be sponsored by a Training Organisation, and you need to observe/shadow/train a class under supervision, so I do not know how you could combine this with a full-time job. I would not recommend resigning and taking a chance on this - in the past this may have worked, but there are a lot of unemployed trainers out there, so work is hard to come by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: