Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MohichMof
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 74
Overall: 131847

People Online:
Visitors: 43
Members: 3
Total: 46 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Setting KPIs for individual whose role is 1st line support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting KPIs for individual whose role is 1st line support

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostyDog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Setting KPIs for individual whose role is 1st line support Reply with quote

Hi,

First post here so be gentle Smile

I am SysAdmin & Helpdesk Manager for a small company with a small IT Team, I have one person whose primary role is 1st line support.

What metrics and KPIs should I be looking to introduce to provide an accurate view of this individuals efficacy as part of the team.

I've never had any line management responsibility in this scenario before being pretty much a one man IT build it and fix it when it goes wrong so any help defining these metrics will help me and the individual in question.

I was thinking things like mean time to resolution from the point an incident is raised (not first seen) and percentage of tickets escalated to 2nd line support (me or colleagues in dev team) by the operative would be a bare minimum along with tickets resolved within SLA.

Any guidance very much appreciated.

GD
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostyDog,

welcome to the gentle forum!

I not a fantastic fan of such metrics because all the best ones end up requiring judgement as well as measurement. But you are probably aware of that and, of course, metrics do have their use.

One simple point about "percentage of tickets escalated to 2nd line support": this does not measure a person's performance. It measures the proportion of calls outside the capability (and possibly the authority, and even possibly the overflow due to resource saturation) of the first line person(s). A performance related measure would have to look at the number of calls inappropriately passed to second line.

Similarly, "tickets resolved within SLA" does not take into account either the ticket arrival rate or the minimum time it takes to resolve particular incidents (and that could be longer than your SLA time!). So it measures the performance of the service desk, but not of the person.

"Mean time to resolution from the point an incident is raised." This can be useful in the following conditions:

1. there are sufficient numbers of incidents in the measurement.

2. Exceptional cases are not allowed to distort the overall picture; exceptional cases could be a single incident taking, say, ten times longer to resolve than any other or an unusual number of incidents of a type that naturally takes longer.

3. A steady pattern in the nature of incidents occurring; if the nature of incidents is volatile or if a radical change occurs, then comparisons from period to period lose much of their value.

4. The environment in which resolution takes place does not change; this includes changes in the availability and performance of tools, changes in the infrastructure that affect the resolution activities and priority demands on the time of the staff.

One final point. The greater the significance of metrics to a person, the more they will be driven to address the metrics ahead of the job.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
GhostyDog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid,

Thanks for the response and you have some excellent points there.

As a people manager I don't want to use metrics as a 'stick to beat the mule with' but more of indicator of areas that require development in alignment with company goals and personal development for individuals.

However in cases where disciplinary procedures need to be followed evidence is required of an individuals poor performance so metrics help there too.

I'm currently looking at a sample set of around 1000 incidents over an 8 month period where mean time to allocate the ticket is 6.5 hrs and max time is 478 hrs, that's 19 days for a ticket to spend sat in the allocations queue awaiting work or escalation.

Obviously as you say this could be a one off and requires further investigation to check if this is erroneous or a true picture of our 1st line response.

Still looking at mean time to resolution and how I'll get that data out of our system, it's reporting isn't very mature (export some data to csv and play about with it in excel), but then it's free and you can't have everything Smile

Thanks again

GD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: