Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: WVXD
New Today: 82
New Yesterday: 95
Overall: 141521

People Online:
Visitors: 52
Members: 1
Total: 53 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL usage, worldwide
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL usage, worldwide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xaes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: ITIL usage, worldwide Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a new member, interested on ITIL. I am also writing a dissertation about ITIL and IT management on my MBA programme

I was looking some statistics about ITIL usage, but no luck.
ITIL implemented organisations statistics,
ITIL certification statistics,
ITIL surveys,
etc.

Does anybody know any source for this data? It will help a lot.

Thanks
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaes,

before you get too deep into your research, understand the following:

1. ITIL does not and cannot get implemented. Organizations that claim to have implemented ITIL have probably redesigned some of their processes to use ITIL terminology and follow some of the guidance provided by ITIL (because guidance is what it is). Judging from many comments and questions on this forum and in other places, many of these will in fact have been over-literal in their application of ITIL guidance and have found themselves worrying about ITIL rules (which do not exist) more than considering what will work well for them. Undoubtedly there will be organizations (some of which will claim to have implemented ITIL, but others who make no such false claim) that have successfully adapted and adopted ITIL guidance to improve their service delivery. There are also organizations that have looked at ITIL and recognized that they had little to learn from it because they already had a mature and excellent management system in place. Such organizations may well adapt and adopt some aspects of ITIL as minor improvements to their system.

2. ITIL certificates exist like confetti. Many people who have the foundation certificate are largely clueless about ITSM as it is a test of knowledge of the books rather than the subject. Many organizations now make it a pre-requisite in their recruitment and this is largely because asking for certificates sounds good rather than that they have evaluated the worth of the certificate. Also many organizations encourage and sponsor large numbers of staff to obtain the certificate in the mistaken idea that their staff will automatically be better for it.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by ITIL surveys, but I suspect that most of whatever they are will fail to recognize my above points.

The above is my perception and I have only anecdotal information to support it. Perhaps you could focus your research in establishing whether it is in any way correct?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
xaes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the reply Diarmid,
Thank you for the guidance also. I understand that ITIL is not rules but guidance to set up rules (or just guidance to how to run service, basically).
My research is IT management guided by ITIL then. Other than collecting data about ITIL, also I am going to make some interviews on an ITIL guided company.
About certificates I also think the same but there is also some other factors, like “the ways of make employees to think, learn and to be active”. The certificates, not only for ITIL also for other topics, may be used for other purposes other than self improvement, but it is completely different topic and discussion. Any way I am just looking some statistics and couldn’t find any.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaes,

I doubt if you will find any useful stats, for the reasons I gave and also because there may be little commercial incentive to do scientifically valid surveys.

A recent email I received from ILX (q.v.) had the following statement: "Up to 20,000 people take ITIL Foundation each month making it a highly sought after qualification"

I expect it means world-wide and I'm never sure what "up to" does to the value of such statements (q.v. broadband advertising), but perhaps it is "indicative" of the scale of training going on just now.

Your best bet for data may be the training organizations, but you will have to be careful about the quality of what they tell you.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official numbers sitting the V3 FDN in Dec2009 worldwide was 16380. I have stats for all the various exams in 20098 and 2009, month by month, if you contact me directly
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be mean, or all John-like, but why would one choose to write a dissertation on a topic they are new to? Wouldn't it serve you better to write your paper on the subject you have experience and deep knowledge on?

Just sayin'.

But I command you on selecting ITIL - what better subject to explore Smile
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-like is being mean

I thought I was witty, smart, clear and pithy along with bitting sarcasm and irony

Hmm

I guess

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaes,

I think Timo meant to commend, not command. But I could be wrong if he is really trying to be John-like Smile
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: